Scrapbook Tutorial - the Basics
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Scrapbook Tutorial - the Basics

Supplies:

1. Photos I try to choose the ones that "tell the story" the best. I like the ones that seem the least staged too, catching moments in the most honest possible way.

2. Papers. I like to have a variety especially if I am not sure what kind of background i want to go with. I like to have printed papers, vellums, cardstocks, textured papers, etc on hand. Always acid and lignen free, archival quality. where you buy from should be able to tell you.

3. Cutting Supplies. Scissors, X-Acto & cutting mat, paper slicers, hole punches, die cuts, decorative edged sicssors.....

4. Adhesives. Tapes, Glues, Glue sticks, Glue Pens, Mounting tape, Mounting Squares, Mounting Corners....
    photo safe, acid free, archival quality again

5. Marking supplies. Pens, Markers, colored pencils, photo safe markers....

6. Notebook or note paper

7. Rulers

8. Embellishments. Stamps and ink, stickers, charms, glitters, fabric swatches, buttons, endless possibilities....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

after gthering your supplies (step 1) you are ready to get going...

Step 2: Crop your photos if necessary
    - to eliminate unnecessary items that may distract from the photos main focus element.
    - draws the eye more to the subject (instead of very often in my house, the pile of laundry behind ds! lol)
    - reduces the amount of space per picture, allowing for more pictures, journalling, or embelishments.

Cut out any more of your elements that need cutting (in my example, clouds)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Step 3 Test Run

I do this often during the process....it helps for making sure you like the scale and balance of the page, check to see if the elements "work" together, andit allows me to rearrange things periodically so that I can be sure of the visual appeal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Step 4 Mat or frame your photos and embellishments onto a coordinating cardstock or paper. Cut out leaving a uniform border
    - adds a more refined look to the page (i read once that it takes away the "sticker sneeze" look by matting the stickers and other embellishments) I tend to like them matted most of the time, but not always, depends on what look i want.
    - Ties the item to the rest of the items on the page
    - Draws the viewers attention to the pages elements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Step 5. Decide on Journal Block
    Now you have basically decided what pictures you want on the page, how you want to tie them in and what to embellish with...now you might want to think about journalling. a Journal block is most often used for this. A Journal block tells a brief story about the page, how you feel, what happened that day...why is that poor child covered in raspberry jam.....?
    - Do you want a large or small hournal block, are you going to need lots of detail or a minimal amount?
    - Do you want it to tie in with your elements (die cut shape? ** I used a cloud for mine to keep the clouds theme**) or do you want a more formal square lined block? Journalling supplies can be found for marking lines and such, take a look at the craft store for inspiration if you want.
    - Do you even want a journalling block, some people go with out, I prefer to have at least a little journalling in my pages, if nothing else than the name of the subjects, date and such. You can also write directly on the background paper. this is fun if you wnat to wander your writing between pics and embellishments.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Step 6 Write down your journalling and title ideas on note paper.
    - stumped? Ask yourself Who? What? When? Why? Where? or what did this day or pic mean to me?
    - trying out titles on paper first gives you the opportunity to "try it on first". many times I have had a title in mind but didn't like how it looked written down on paper. Sometimes the title can surprise you by being particularly special line in your journalling.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Step 7 Journalling
    - For what ever manner you have chosen now is my usua time to put the journalling onto the page.
    - mark very lightly on your block or page a line to follow. If you are marking directly on your page, make note of where you will want your pics and elements...another test run would be good now... Marking a line lightly is especially good if you are like me and your writing wanders at an angle without lines.
    - after you are done with your journalling, carefully erase your lines.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Step 8 Lightly draw your title design
    (having practiced on note paper first )
    - Using stensils or freehand, stickers or tamps, having marked the your basic idea (at least) lightly on the title area of your page will help you center the title as you wish first, before making a mistake.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Step 9 Test run one last time!!

Step 10 Adhere your ietms, elements, and embellishments to the page.
    - I prefer to use mounting squares for photos...or my XYRON machine, glue sticks, and double sided mounting tapes for most everything. For heavier items you might need to use a stronger glue. Check with a clerk at a scrapbook store for the best suggestion for your particular item.
    - to add dimension to your page you can use 3M' s mounting tape, it looks like white, double sided tape with a foam core.
    - you can add texture yarn, buttons, charms, etc

Note: to do a page with these charms like i used, follow the Mini Tutorial- Shrink Charms that i will soon be posting.

Use papers, stickers, die cuts, and adhesives that are archival, acid free and lignen free to keep your memories from yellowing...or worse.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wonderful melissa, thank you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

beautiful!!!

I am just getting started so reading this has been a big help already!I knew I was doing a lot of things wrong, at least now I know what to do right

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hello all,
    My name is Leah Hodges,and am new to scapbooking andI want to learn about this craft,and hope to make some new friendshope to hear from you all soon Leah