Tutorial: Mounting Rubber Stamps
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Tutorial: Mounting Rubber Stamps

Mounting Rubber Stamps

Mounting Rubber stamps is reletively easy. Most people are intimidated by the process, but it is really easy and painless. I have a few pages to show you step by step how it is done, and a few pics and illustrations, so bear with me.

This particular turorial will deal with stamps that are purchased through direct sales and mail order. These generally already have the foam backing already on the rubber image, but are not trimmed or on wooden blocks yet. This is because the company can save on mounting and trimming costs this way and in return cut the prices for the customers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You will need very few items to do this...

Pair of sturdy scissors.
    And obviously the stamp to be cut. LEAVE THE STICKER BACKING ON THE FOAM! Removing the paper backing will hinder your cutting because the extremely sticky backing of the foam will stick to your scissors when you trim. I will post a pic in this post of the supplies i use.

In addition you might want:
    a ruler to draw out your cutting lines, if you don't trust your cutting straight lines (most always you will cut straight lines)
    a light colored pencil to draw out your lines, if you don't trust douing it free hand
    a lable for the stamp
    your wooden or acrylic block to mount to

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are just about ready to cut. But first lets see HOW to cut. Hold your scissors and stamp at 90 degree angles to each other. You want a clean straight cut. Undercutting is the cause of several image problems, it is imparative to cut correctly.

Trimming has a big impact on the quality of the stamped image. Trimming the rubber closely around the image prevents undesirable shadow corners. For trimming, use sharp scissors with a short blade.

Trimming Tips
     Trim the rubber close to the image to prevent stamping the edge of surplus rubber (shadow corners). Do not trip any pieces smaller than 1/2".
     Make straight cuts instead of curving around the design.
     Do not undercut (that is, do not cut at an angle: /).
     It is important to trim alphabets well because they are small stamps and it is easy to catch an edge when stamping.
     After cutting through a lot of rubber, you'll probably want to sharpen your scissors.
     You can use a cloth dampened with rubbing alcohol or fingernail polish remover to clean adhesive residue from the scissor blades.

Here's my illustration of rubber stamp omponents and what undercutting is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Alrighty, now we know what under cutting is and how to cut. Let's move onto cutting . In this tut I will show you drawn out lines because I want you to see where exactly I am cutting. Here are my cutting lines:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cut your stamp, remembering to cut straight and carefully. Discard the trimmings. Cats like to chew these and kids like to play with them, so get em into the trash asap, or they will be all over the house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now remove your paper backing and apply the image to the wooden block. Look at the stamp closely and be sure you will be applying it to the wood in a manner that will center it onto the wood as best as possible. Choose small pieces of wooden or acrylic blocks for small images, large pieces for larger images. press the stamp securely to the wood to form a good seal.

So far, pretty easy, huh?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Next, you lable your stamp. Most manufacturers will provide you with a sticker lable. Otherwise you can take a clear Avery address lable or such and do the same method. Here's the sticker lable for this particular stamp.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Make note of what direction your image is on the other side of the stamp, and try to place your sticker on top of the wooden block to mimic the position of the image. It'll make using your stamp easier. Apply your label, you may need to trim it first to fit the wooden block.

All done. easy, wasn't it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now you might want to do a test run on your stamp to see how well it imprints your image, but apart form that you are finished.

End Of Tutorial