I rely on thrift stores to keep my family clothed and fed. What you donate matters.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default I rely on thrift stores to keep my family clothed and fed. What you donate matters.

http://www.vox.com/first-person/2016...tore-donations

"A lot of the advice I hear about what to give, and what not to give, is well-intentioned, but it's rarely informed by the experience of the people who actually rely on thrift stores to keep their closets stocked and their budgets balanced."
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That was a good article and made a lot of sense!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not sure thrift stores want to keep crappy stuff around so someone will feel good about buying the better items. Or keep junky food storage containers to sell for pennies, in order to help someone save money. They are in the business to make money. They won't keep something that will bring 25 cents if the same space can hold something they can sell for $2.00. They are not in business (for the most part) to provide a way for poor people to buy things cheaply.

I wish they would put out a table of free stuff, outside, so people can use the things they don't want to sell, instead of throwing them out.
    Make America Kind Again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Different stores use different business models. SA around here tries to sell almost everything they get, and it's usually pretty cheap and some is pretty junky. GW has higher standards about what they will put out, and they're more expensive but the stuff is usually nicer. I know what to donate where. But I never donate stuff I wouldn't buy myself.

Some stores also make money baling and selling worn and stained clothes and other fabric items by the pound. Not sure what happens to that. Some stores also strip buttons and zippers off worn clothing and sell those, as part of training and/or employment opportunities for people who need help in that area.

One thing left out of the article is donating stuff that's not the best or is incomplete and uses for that. I buy a lot of stuff to repurpose, and sometimes the odd stuff is the best find.

I don't think people should donate stuff that's obviously junk though. Still, I do realize sometimes junk is in the eye of the beholder.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Josantoro, I just noticed your signature. "Make America Kind Again." Thank you for that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Josantoro, I just noticed your signature. "Make America Kind Again." Thank you for that.
    I ordered 3 buttons and a window decal with that message, from Etsy.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So not in the same exact vane as this lady but I rely on thrift,resale,ebay,G.sales,church sales and estate sales etc. to keep this family going too. It isnt out of survival like her but IF we want to retire and presently live on 50% of our income to have money to save and invest we have to. AND if i want to continue to help charities and support this number of animals we personally do I have to. I must say as SD said I buy some odd things to repurpose and make do by going at the end of church sales and G.sales. I also stockpile so i can help others. This extra cash often comes from buying used and skipping things like haircuts and extending those oil changes another month and such. I have admittedly coupon dove and curb shopped to resale items. I also have a few sleazier resale shops that arent so greedy as S.A. and Goodwill. So even though my Dh makes good money I live way below and use those thrifts to fund our life style.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have found some good stuff outside of the smaller local thrift stores. It usually has a "FREE" sign on it and I reupholster, revise, repurpose it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Larabelle-we have no such luxury. Our S.A. and goodwill will sell to Value World. Now Target donates to S.A. but I understams Walmart sells returns to them. Not sure where clothes bundles go here. It used to be rag bags but now I think its per pound clothing stores. IK the Pontiac store is everything clothes for .99
    IK some stores donate day olds and some incinerate in the Kroger chain. Now Meijers and I think Walmart donate bread and that to the Aunt Millie day old bread store. But really no free stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm retired and depend on thrift stores for clothing and household items. We have Goodwill which is over crowded, over priced crap. Another shop supports the women's shelter and has mostly name brand clothing in very good condition. Prices are very fair. Another shop supports mentally handicapped and it has a large facility with large inventory of both high end and not so good stuff priced the same as the better shop. A third shop supports a men's homeless shelter and its in a shabby building with no a/c and minimal heat in the winter. Most clothing items are $1 and range from trash to treasures. I bought 3 brand new sweatshirts for $1 each there last fall.

I follow a v-log Lifting Pins and Needles. The lady is living in a South American country where there are very few fabric stores so she buys clothing in street markets and repurposes the fabric into clothing for herself. She's mentioned several times that bundles are shipped from the USA so that may be where SA and GW send their bundles.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I’m a little late reading this article however, I found it enjoyable. I shop second hand for a few reasons: environmental (no packaging to throw away, no new materials needed to used to make the item, saves the item from the trash), price and the thrill of finding a bargain. I shop second hand with pride, buying store brand too. It’s not so much about being poor as it is about having a ‘poor mentality’ ~ Amy Dacyczyn

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yep second hand all the way. lots of stores around like that here though some like value village get nuts with the prices at times. but then that is what discount days are for and they except most of the donations without getting picky. You have to know your prices. But great for clothes, toys, books and just different things for collections or gifts. Plus getting older kitchenware which is usually better quality.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

a go to place.. dropped off 3 boxes/bags of stuff at value village which earned me a 30% discount card. Had one from last time so used it to get ds some good shoes. not much to pick from in mens sizes.. men don't seem to buy or get rid of shoes as much as women lol but found a pair of leather laceup ankle hiking style boots. hit wallyworld for runners.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yep. I'm a devout thrifter! Today my "foundation garments" were bought new, boots on deep discount, jeans and sweater are thrift. Coat is thrift. The t-shirt was 5$.

My best friend from college and I are hoping to go to Santa Fe for Xmas holiday and I asked what he wanted to do...thrift stores! We're exchanging thrift gifts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

nothing like a good thrift store! and in a different place too always have to check it out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast