Frugal Village Forums banner

2019 Thrift Store / Garage Sale Shopping ..share your finds

7K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  Spirit Deer 
#1 ·
new year new finds !

I have been more into getting rid of things and not going into thrift stores but friend wanted to go to 50% off sale yesterday at value village. thought would be clothes for ds. like normal they put up the prices but way more then normal. so even at half price 4 or 5 bucks for used walmart george brand tshirts.. like nope.

got a frozen crochet kit and bath set for my gift/donation box both new. 2.99 and 6.99

#2 ·
Sadly, no more local thrift store for me, and no garage sales till at least May, most likely.

I keep running across stuff I got at our local thrift. I shouldn't complain it's gone and instead be grateful for all the great stuff we got there during the 5 years they were open, but we're going to miss this resource. Luckily we are very well stocked, so we don't need much anyway. We're more at the age of letting go than acquiring.

#4 ·
Love Love thrift stores.
I went to one in Holmes County, OH~We go down every year a couple friends and shop the flea markets and thrift stores.
I found a j.Percy fur coast for $15. Looked online when I got home...and the same coat was advertised as a "vintage" J. Percy for $150.00
Also got an inside out knee length coat for $9.~
I always find something at this store. I also found these really cool Deer plates, that I ended up getting for my oldest son for $2 each.~a STEAL!

#5 ·
We recently found 8 Correlle salad plates at a thrift store, matching the cornflower pattern of the bowls we use all the time. They were priced at .39 each and I could not grab them fast enough, since Correlle has become HTF at thrifts and expensive. But when I took them to the till to pay, I found out they were half off that day!

Our only thrift store recently closed, but we sometimes get to other towns for shopping, and I keep a list on my phone of items I hope to find. One thing I will be looking for this year are ornate wedding gowns, and also one or more pink gowns to make over into angel gowns.

I'm really hoping to find some good makeover stuff at garage sales this year, too. Can't wait for sales to start this year.

#6 ·
Last week I took my dgs #3 into the thrift store. We found another large snake stuffed animal his older brother has been wanting for $1.99! The first stuffed snake, Monster Man, was purchased by his father when we were at Jellystone Maryland for $14.99, yikes. However, I consider Monster Man a good purchase because dgs #2 loves him. So I said to dgs #2, now you have Monster Man #2! Dgs #2 says, no mom mom it’s Monster Man and Monster Man 🙄.

#8 ·
Sadly, no secondhand shopping for me since early January. Not only did our only thrift store close then, but I haven't left our property since then either. But, weather permitting, I will be hitting a few thrifts in Duluth next week. I have a whole list of stuff I'm hoping to find.

It will probably be about two months before garage sales start up here.

#9 ·
I've had a pretty killer thrift-store april/may so far. Partly that is because there are colleges near by and the students are moving out and donating buckets of nice things.
My tea pot was donating chips of enamel to my tea...the inside is worn out. It's probably 20 years old, daily use and occassionally run dry. So, I put "teapot" on my list. I bought a nice "pour over" style kettle that is quite small but new in the box for 4$ and great for coffee. It came with a matching metal travel coffee grinder. I love my coffee so I got that for another couple of bucks. I now have overly fancy fresh ground coffee. I have an antique coffee grinder I use, but it is big and clunky.
Found another good kettle, BIG (I use lots of hot water because I have no water heater...the tea kettle is it) and stainless steel, "mr coffee" brand for $4 the other day. It will actually be more convenient. I hadn't used the pour over one yet so may return it or use it as a gift. We'll see.

Found metal free shoes and pants that I needed for work (running a magnetometer) for just a few bucks each. Suede blazer, also no metal, for 25cents!!! I needed some sort of leather coat to work around barbed wire. The metal free bit was a bonus. I have boot grease so I could water proof it. It will look a bit fancy for farm work, but I don't care...25 CENTS!

I had 2 sweatshirts shred while wearing them. The fabric is so old it decomposed on me. The backs and hoods are still OK so I will cut off those to use as rags or something, but it left me with only 1 decent sweatshirt. It's chilly here morning and evening so I sleep in a hoody and need one to wear out and about part of each day. Found a good one, pretty new, on the 50cent rack. There were also 3 soaker hoses! I have one I paid real money for, like 10$ a few years ago at a year end sale. With that and the 3 new ones, I have both raised beds done and enough to do one of the inground beds after friends till it up tomorrow. After 3 years of hauling hose for hours every week, cutting 3 areas out of the hose hauling routine is more than worth a $1.50!! One hose has some little holes that spray, but I have left over plumbing repair tape from a sale bin and I can always slide a can with the top and bottom cut out over the hose and put it over the little spray holes. They aren't a big deal but already on day 1, they were hitting me as I walked around the bed weeding.

A colleague at work was with me for one thrift store stop. He poo poo'ed the idea...until he found 3 pairs of work pants and a pair of work shoesfor a total of 10$. I think we have a new convert.

#10 ·
Sounds like great finds, Maggie. Congrats on the suede jacket and on creating a convert to thrift shopping.

We hit a church sale yesterday. I picked up a couple pieces of fabric for clothes for me, .50 each, some scrap fabric, and other useful odds and ends. The most expensive item was a cookbook for $1.

Garage sales haven't started here yet, but soon.

#11 ·
Wow Maggie, amazing finds! I am always happy with my finds but you did far better than I ever could at our thrift stores. DH and I also created a convert to thrift shopping, my mom. :)
We were so thrilled to find Yak Tracks at a local thrift for $2. DH's are wearing out and since a fall on the ice was what caused him to need shoulder surgery, he really needed a new pair for next winter. We weren't even looking for them, he just happened upon them there. Glad we didn't buy them online.

#12 ·
THese were banner days...not always that good or fun.
I LOVE it when I find yaktrax at thrift. I keep a pair in the car, a pair in the truck and a pair at home. Always ready for ice. I end up giving some away to a senior lady I know who is perpetually unprepared and can't fall on her knee replacement. For a couple of bucks, she's safe for a while.

I had a yak-trak blow out this winter so thanks for the reminder to keep an eye out NOW in the thrift stores.

Garage sales are more dangerous for me than thrift...I get sucked in to the odd stuff. I better re-do my list of things I could actually use so I don't just buy whatever looks cool.

#13 ·
great deals maggie! I have been avoiding thrift stores except donating..because really don't need anything. but came across a library book sale and got a couple of mysteries and old cook books some for gifts. funny how old booklets don't have publish dates. one is cooking with your electric range..in perfect condition lol looks like it is from the 50s. graham kerr one for those who remember his pbs cooking show. old ones are good for basic recipes. and a xmas feasts around the world one too think from the 80s

#14 ·
Not a garage sale or thrift but an auction...does that count??? I won 8 new rolls of 4x50 ft chicken wire and one partial roll for $40.00. I looked it up and it sells for $40 a roll at Lowe's!!! My daughter has been wanting chickens so this will be her Christmas present which she will get early! I was really excited about this find.....

Also found two really nice bedroom lamps for my neighbor for $9. She cleans my house for me and won't take any money so this is my way of paying her.

marthamfi I remember Graham Kerr....haven't seen his name in a long time...I love cook books....picked up a bunch of them for $3 few weeks ago and she threw in another lot that didn't sell....probably got 50 to 60 cookbooks total...lots of Southern Living Christmas cookbooks...My grandson's fiancé loves to cook so I am sharing with her. I don't cook like I use to but I still like looking at the recipes....

#17 ·
that is a good score! I know I remember his show. have to say the recipes in that cookbook aren't that great most stuff people wouldn't eat or would need more spices. think it is just changing of the times. things like curries aren't exotic or mexican aren't exotic anymore just common place.

#15 ·
Fantastic find on the chicken wire, Peg! That's a whole lotta chicken wire! I bet your daughter will be thrilled. So will the chickies who maybe can have a big yard to run around in.

I got a couple good buys at SA on our trip. First I found this bag for $2. I got one just like it with my last Viking sewing machine. It's for little machine accessories. Viking also sells them separately for about $50. I just could not leave it there.

Also got a purse NWT free at SA. I already put clothespins in that and packed it away with the new clothesline I made for the camper. I was about to make a clothespin bag so that saved me the task.

#18 ·
dropped off a trunkload at value village and got a free book coupon and 20% off coupon. but since my mom was with me seniors day 30% off. got a free book for dd, couple of brand name shorts for ds , cereal bowls and cheap mec camping backpack for about 12 bucks..not worn out just dirty and kids name on tape everywhere.

#20 ·
That doesn't sound too horrible, Jo. I always look at it that I get so much stuff really cheap, if I pay a little more than I'd like now and then, I still come out way ahead. I hate those plastic storage drawers if they're very big. They're just too flimsy for my purposes. Oak will be a big change!

#22 ·
Went to an estate sale, for $20 got 3+ full size quilt battings, vintage Log Cabin quilt top, box of sheets (will donate to homeless shelter), cutting mat and several rulers, couple of unfinished quilt projects, and loads of sewing notions. And a couple of fancy flower pots.

#25 ·
That was a good buy!!!!
I won a living room chair.....it's a chair and half I believe they are called....gave it to my grandson and he said it was really comfy.....came from a $600,000.00 house! It was beautiful.....they had some really nice stuff.....I paid $4 for the chair.....love it when people bid and forget about it....I've done it before and when I see I forgot I just tell myself God had other plans for that item and go about my business.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.