Frugal Village Forums banner

Any Good Garage Sale/Thrift Store Finds?

2K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  mustang80 
#1 ·
I finally went to a thrift store for the first time in about 2 months! I was looking for a queen size bed frame. Salavation Army wants $15.00 for theirs but they didn't have a queen in stock.

I am really getting discouraged with SA's prices. I can get most of the same stuff at Walmart for about the same price. I know it's a charity but good grief!

Has anyone had any awesome finds lately?

#2 ·
I found some really great school clothes for ds at Sal Arm. Name brand jeans for no more than $3? And some very nice dress shirts for only $1.99. I'm so proud that I outfitted that boy so cheaply!! I'll always shop thrift for my family first!

#3 ·
Sometimes it can be hit-or-miss. I like to get Tupperware at thrift stores.

Books. Our SA has several shelves of books, and a small table to browse at.

Clothes. Hit or miss. But if you're watching for certain brands, thrift store prices beat retail hands down. Rachel's Kids' dresses for the kids; Elizabeth for me; Jones of New York.

#4 ·
Our SA is a bit costly on some things. (mostly furniture) Clothing goes on sale and I try and shop for clothes when they are on sale. On sale, it's about $.30 on kids clothes and about $1 on adults.

When the clothes aren't on sale, for kids it runs anywhere from about $.69-1.00. So sometimes even if it's not on sale, I'll pick up something if I see it.

I love shopping for Alexandra there. The clothes are often brand new, name brands, or at least in very good shape.

The store is kept clean and neat, but the sizes aren't organized so I have to go through the racks. It takes time, but is worth it.

I enjoy shopping there. I always have fun and find something. My last trip, I spent about $20 and came home with bags full of clothes, hardcover books, and a couple of toys. It was quite a haul.

I wish that I could have done well at garage sales for clothes, but never got lucky there, so am happy there's at least our local thrift store. There are times Walmart and Target clearance have good sales too, but so far it's not beat the thrift store prices here on the items I buy.

The prices on some of the items is out of control though considering they get the items donated free.

#5 ·
I've been doing really well with clothes at our local thrift store. Its actually not even a store. The local hardware store sells thrift items there and the $$ are donated to the local church.

The closest SA is in the city and I find the prices quite high as well. I do shop there, but I watch for the sale days. Value Village has gotten to be the same way, really high on their items.

We have a wonderful thrift store in each small town here in the country. Each is only about 25 minutes from us and the prices are wonderful.

I love thrift stores, even the SA. Its fun to shop there and see just how low you can get stuff.

#6 ·
A friend and I stopped by a Catholic church's thrift store today. She found a fishing tie something or other (LOL) for her dh and I bought a yard and a half of English riding print material (75¢) and 2 yards of a Christmas ornament print material ($1).

#7 ·
We have a small thrift store here in town that donates it s$ to the hospital. The prices are great, but you really have to hunt!

DSs and I went there on Monday. I got DS#1 a Hard Rock Cafe tshirt for .40, two hand embroidered pillowcases (singles) for .60 each and two toys for my dog for .10 each! DS#1 got two puzzles, a cool game and a book for $1.95. DS#2 (the tinkerer) got a phone (an old fashioned rotary dial!) and n answering machine for $2.00! We got about $75.00 worth of stuff for $5.75! How's that for a mark down!:toothy:

#8 ·
It does seem that those bargains are fewer and farther between than they used to be....even just five years ago when I adopted a more frugal lifestyle to get us out of debt.  I guess nothing good lasts forever.  *SIGH*

I did get a great deal last week, though.  My nut-chopper that I'd had forever (like since I set up my first kitchen at age 19, LOL!) finally bit the dust.  I found an absolutely brand new, never used chopper made by Zyliss at Goodwill for $1.49!  I looked on some sites and they are $14.99 and up.  Score!  And I kept it out of the landfill.  It should last 25 years or longer like my first one did, don't you think?  It was such a steal that I'm thinking of putting it in my Will, LOL!

#9 ·
I'd definitely will that chopper down Diana.....:lol:
I haven't been thrifting in a while...you girls are giving me the bug. I've found a few things as garage sales this year but I haven't been doing that either as of late

#11 ·
At my favorite thrift store I found several hardback Leisure Arts books for 50 cents each. I found my DD some long sleeve tee shirts for around a dollar each. I found some canning jars for 25 cents each. I'm going back to today to see if anything new has been put out. This thrift shop is only open Wednesday thru Saturday. It's run by the Baptist churches in our area and the workers are all volunteers. We also have Goodwill and SA in our town. The Goodwill store prices are too high and the SA is junky and you can't find anything.

#13 ·
Yard sale finds from yesterday:

Suze Orman book-9 steps to Financial Freedom $1.00
Crossing over by John Edwards (for my mom) .50
2 Sega Genesis games $1.00 each
Bumble (from Rudolph) .50
Denim purse with flag emblem $2.00
2 videos $1.00
brand new teapot $4.00 (Copco brand)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.