Organizing project files and ideas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Organizing project files and ideas

Hi all. I have a question. How do you organize projects, files and ideas related to your sewing? I have several projects I put in zippered bags of different sorts. But I have no way to keep track of projects I want to do. Or projects that need to have things pulled from all over (sometimes I make my own patterns, etc.). I guess I'm asking the semi-professionals/professionals among you how you keep track of everything related to a project and progress on that project?

I used to use binders. But I'm wondering if that's the best thing. Seems I need a lot of envelopes too. And then what do you do with finished project information? I'm just having a hard time struggling with exactly how much organization I really need. And wondering too if there's a way to set up a unified filing system for all my different hobby projects (needlework, knitting, quilting, sewing, traditional rug hooking, and scrapbooking)?

Any help out there?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you go to organizedhome.com they have a scrapbooking and sewing tips for organization. I love them.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Last year when I cleaned my closet out I took all my unfinished projects and put them each into a gift type bag (any bag with handles that could stand on it's own), put everything related to the project in the bag with it, and lined them up in the order I wanted to complete them. I was convenient because I could just grab the bag and go when I wanted to work on something.

If you have a huge number of projects you may want to consider making a spreadsheet, but then, I am one of those people who thinks spreadsheets are the answer to everything

I always planned to put finished projects in a binder - no distinguishing between type of project (sewing, stiching, quilting, whatever) - with a sheet describing the name of the item, either copy of the pattern (for quilting) or number of the pattern (for sewing), date, fabric swatch, what I did with it, etc. and a photo. I never got around to it though.
    Last edited by monkeywrangler71; 02-14-2009 at 10:28 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well I spent last night cruising the Net looking for ideas. Lots out there for organizing your actual sewing/craft room stuff, but very little on organizing the paperwork generated related to sewing/craft projects.

I decided in the end to separate out 'finished' and 'current' projects from my 'ideas' binder. I put the 'finished' and 'current' project paper info. in file folders in my filing cabinet. I'll leave the ideas in the binder for browsing.

Right now I am struggling with collecting all my started projects in one location. I just don't have a place big enough for 30 projects that range from needlework to a king size quilt. Plus my crafting has outgrown one area of the house. I have more than enough fabric, wool, etc. than one person can humanly use in a lifetime. So it's back to purging I go...or my sewing machine, etc.

I did manage to file a bunch of projects together in zippered sheet bags (gotta love the manufacturers for packaging sheets that way!) and put them on a shelf...along with crewel kits I haven't opened yet.

I did manage to clear off my art table last night. That sure looks different now. I just need to put things away when I'm done using them. And finish setting up new projects that were littering the top of it.

Still my sewing area is a mess now, with boxes of fabric in front of my design wall...not good.