New to this but I have a question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default New to this but I have a question

I found an excellent website which taught me this evening how to put thread on a bobbin plus thread a sewing machine etc...it is a video.

I did great with the bobbin part but when I thread my machine the thread didn't stay on the material, it came off when I pulled it. I used an old towel for practice.

I thought the bobbin thread was ok but maybe not. I am not sure what is going on, what would be the reason for this?

Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Several things could be going on. First practice on cloth not a towel, the towel could be pulling the thread out of the needle. Make sure the machine is threaded correctly and the needle is threaded correctly.

Check the back of the owners manual. Lots of times that can help you.

Good luck

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Is the bobbin thread sticking up out of the hole under the needle?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am not sure what is up with this machine, I have a manual but it is not helping me though with trying to get the needle to pick up the bottom thread from the bobbin or at least keeping it there.

I took my machine over to my friends (one of the ladies that I work with) and she was having problems figuring it out too because the bobbin doesn't go into one of those metal cases, it just goes in as is etc.

I tried not to give up on it too and finally got the needle to pick up the thread last night, it even worked on a practice material. I was so excited thinking finally it works. I cut my panels, ironed a side seam and pinned it then proceeded to sew the hem. I did about four feet of side seam. I was so proud and showed my dh and then went to see if the thread was actually holding and it alllllllllllllll came off except for the first 8 inches which worked but for some reason the thick part of the thread was on the wrong side of the panel. I had reversed stiched the beginning of the panel and also reverses stiched the end of the panel but for some reason it was like I had reversed stiched after eight inches. I even tried changing the needle even though the needle which was already in there had barely been used only since I tried to practice.

Maybe it is the timing, I don't know, all I know is that I am so very frustrated with this machine and if I had the money to replace it, well, let's just say I wouldn't be very frugal right about now.

If I ever do find out what is going on with this machine I will post it as it might help someone else too.

I want to thank you both for your replies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bee9984 View Post

Maybe it is the timing, I don't know, all I know is that I am so very frustrated with this machine and if I had the money to replace it, well, let's just say I wouldn't be very frugal right about now.

If I ever do find out what is going on with this machine I will post it as it might help someone else too.

I want to thank you both for your replies.
    What kind of machine is this?
    Are you using the same thread in the bobbin and on top?
    Is there lint around the bobbin?
    Is it a drop in bobbin?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
    What kind of machine is this?
    Are you using the same thread in the bobbin and on top?
    Is there lint around the bobbin?
    Is it a drop in bobbin?
    It is a Euro-Pro X machine

Yes, it is the same thread.

No, no lint, I just took it out of the package not too long ago and then put the thread on it two or three nights ago.

Yes, I believe it is a drop bobbin, it goes in as is and does not have a metal case to put it into prior. There is an opening that I insert it(the threaded bobbin) into on top, just infront of where the needle is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bee9984 View Post
    It is a Euro-Pro X machine

Yes, it is the same thread.

No, no lint, I just took it out of the package not too long ago and then put the thread on it two or three nights ago.

Yes, I believe it is a drop bobbin, it goes in as is and does not have a metal case to put it into prior. There is an opening that I insert it(the threaded bobbin) into on top, just infront of where the needle is.
    Sorry, I'm not familar with this machine, but the drop in bobbin machine I had gave me fits......if it's new maybe the store can help you. Nothing worse than a sewing machine that doesn't behave!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh .... just thought is the needle inserted correctly? After that I'm all out of ideas......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The needle is in properly but, I can't take it back because I bought it 1 1/2 years ago and just took it out of the box about 2 months ago

not very frugal but I did have good intentions, just took me a bit I guess.

the machine was $49.99 regularly $159.99

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If I have to I will sew these curtains by hand although I am not good at that either lol, maybe one of the ladies I work with will let me go to their home and use their machine just to do this. I am determined to meet my May mini goal and besides there are so many things that I would love to make once I conquer this sewing machine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are you using the bobbin that came with the machine. It has to be the right kind for the machine or it won't work properly.

Are you making sure when you put the bobbin into the case that you are pulling it through the tension creavice in the bobbin case. If it isn't threaded through that, you will basically be sewing without tension and you're seams will unravel.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4866237_inst...e-bobbins.html

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ok, found the problem Where the bobbin goes it is damaged inside. Dh and I took a flashlight to look in there, I almost cut myself on the plastic when dh took it out and handed it to me. It looks like it was cut in a wide V and melted on the inside edges of the V. It is a mess.

I can't take it back because it was over a year ago that I bought it although I still have the receipt but it wouldn't matter at this stage of the game.

Lesson learned but dh said "Hey, what about the sewing machine your grandmother gave you years ago?" I had completely forgotten about that so we dug that out of the storage closet where he had put it.

I am getting ready to try that so wish me luck please

bonnotsm9, thanks so much for the link, that is the website I used to learn how to get the thread on my bobbin etc but that paticular video I had not seen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well! the machine which my grandmother had given me I had never looked at it and oh boy, was it old. It smelled like moth balls lol.

I had problems with that one too. So I looked at my Euro Pro yet again and started thinking, ok the part that is damaged shouldn't really effect the bobbin as it was on the opposite side so I went online to search again for reasons that my bobbin thread wasn't tight...my Euro manual said that the bobbin tension was fixed and needn't adjust in generally.

I found a website about Do it yourself Sewing Machine repair and tried his idea of rewinding the bobbin as maybe it wasn't wound properly the first time. I did and now it is working .

Here is the website in case anyone would like to check out his site, it was very helpful.

http://www.fabrics.net/SarahMachineRepair.asp

I am just so happy as now I can get those curtains started although not tonight but tomorrow after work for sure!

Thanks again to all for your help

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the link! I am going to check it out!

I know when I have problems with stitches not being right on my old sewing machine, it usually has to do with incorrect tension between the top and bobbin threads. In the book that came with the machine, it shows how you can determine which tension to adjust by sewing a couple of inches and seeing if the looser thread is on the top or the bottom of the fabric. But my machine has a bobbin case with a tiny screw that you can tighten to increase the tension.

Also, the needle may not be long enough. My daughter has an old White sewing machine. The stitches weren't correct and we realized that the Singer needles we were using were too short. We put the needle a little lower in the thing that holds the needle tight, and the machine sewed correctly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So glad you got things figured out!
    happy stitching!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast