Sewing Patches on Leather Vest
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Sewing Patches on Leather Vest

Hi all,

I am looking for information on sewing patches on leather vests. My neighbor just paid $30+ to have some patches sewn on her vest and hubby just bought a vest yesterday and had two small patches sewn on it for $5 EACH. I have done a little reading on the internet, but I thought I would come here and ask if anyone has any experience.

It looks like I need to buy leather needles, but what size? I have also been reading about leather/teflon presser foot(feet). Do I need one of these? Is it hard (I figure it can't be)?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thought I would bump this up one time. Anybody have ANY experience sewing on leather?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You don't have to have the foot but it does help if your going to be doing a lot of sewing...You want to use a blue jean needle if it is heavy leather. A heavy duty thread is good too. You want to put as few stitches into the leather that you can and still have it hold good..so you may need a longer stitch. The closer the stitch it may cause the leather to tear out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I sewed some biker patches on a leather vest the other day for one of hubby's buddies. I used a regular needle with nylon thread and had no problem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have sewn on some leather and do a lot on the faux leather. Yep, longer stitches but I wouldn't do it without the teflon foot. The good part is that if you have a JoAnns close they usually have the 'generic' feet for under $10 and will usually carry a teflon foot. It makes the fabric slide through easier. Also check ebay but you need to know what shank your sewing machine is........most are straight shank......unless you have a singer, then they can be slant shank. (also Bernina might not take the 'generic' foot....my Viking does.)
    You are not supposed to pin leather.......you clip it.......can use the clips you get at office supply store.......whatever size will fit. If you don't have these I wouldn't buy any just for this project.....use paper clips. Just don't put pin holes in it.

It isn't hard.....just like regular sewing once you get the needle set....start out with a 16 and if you don't like that go down to a 14...depends on how thick eveything is.....hope this has helped and you might find more info on ehow.com or if I can help, let me know. I have a book about sewing on leather......could give you some info straight from that if you need it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OPPS....thought of something else......Wonder Tape might work instead of the clips. If you don't sew a lot I don't think I would 'buy' any. Maybe some 'sewing friend' will let you use some for just 'a patch'....it is a two sided tape that you can sew through very easy and it would hold the patch to the leather while you sew it. If you sew a lot you probably know about it and it is the best stuff since sliced bread for sewing. I use it a LOT and wouldn't be without a roll of it. GOOD LUCK!

Be sure to post how it turned out......go for it!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

THANK YOU everyone! I have been reading a lot on the internet about sewing patches on leather. I have found tips for holding the patch in place, what type of thread to use, stitch length, etc. I had not found any information/tips about what size needle to use. Thank you FRUGALFRANNY for that information.

I drove to the Joann's by my house a couple of days ago and it had closed up! So I used the store locator on their website and will be going to another one not too far away today. Thank goodness I live in a BIG city.

I already sell online on my own website, Amazon, and eBay. I print my own business cards for that business. SO I was thinking if I can sew the patches on fairly easily, then I could print up some cards and give them to hubby and his friends to hand out. Even ask the local bike accessory shop that we frequent if I could leave my cards on their counter.

Everybody charges $5 to sew on small patches and $7.50 for medium and higher for large patches. It could be a good way for me to earn some extra cash and get my credit cards and the hospital paid off earlier than expected.

I will report back after I get the patch sewn on!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hello, I'm seeking accurate advice on sewing Military Patches on leather vest, a sewing company recommend a Janome 399.00 machine, I will be sewing small Patches on front and full size on the back, I need accurate machine to purchase, needle size.. Also instead of pinning the Patches a tutorial suggested double sided tape, that made perfect sense to me.. Anybody from Tulsa OK I need some startup lessons..
    I would appreciate solid advice, I don't need a 1000.00 machine, keep that in mind. Thanks Chip

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I havent done leather bt jeans material doubled over. I just use a regular machine and walk the wheel by hand. It gives you more control and the needle is less likely to break. Use the heaviest gauge needle made for jean type material.

When I was sewing I used to sew on Girl Scout badges-small triangles and it was a spitting situation KWIM? So I used masking tape(cheap weak from the dollar Store) and pulled it out at the last moment so it wouldnt look lumpy. Its quicker than basting them on or using fabric glue that could bleed through.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Any cheap machine will do basic stitches and apply patches. You can get them at Joann's, Walmart, or Target for under $100. Look at yard sales and thrift stores for a used machine, or ask around to borrow one.

You want to get a leather needle, probably several, for sewing on leather. I also suggest practicing on scraps so you can get a feel for it, and get your tension correct.

If you do buy a new machine make sure you get at least one lesson on how to use it.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH