Does anyone make their own clothes or clothes for family?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Does anyone make their own clothes or clothes for family?

I have just bought a bunch of knits and am going to teach myself how to make pajamas for my kids.

I may also attempt to make fleece pullovers for the family. These were supposed to be Christmas gifts, but I haven't gotten around to buying the fleece yet (hush TooSweet!!)

So how about you? Do you make any clothes for people in your lives?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes I do. I make all our pj's, nighties and I've made shorts and dresses for dd.

I've just recently again taken up sewing (other than quilting) and I'm really enjoying it. I've always loved sewing but quilting has always come first. But I'm sewing all our Christmas gifts and its been fun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh that's so cool CJ...what sorts of things are you making for Christmas gifts?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't yet, but I am trying to learn. What intimidates me most is the patterns! I would like to work my way up to some
    Daisy Kingdom type dresses for dd before she goes to college. She is 14mo now, so I figure I have time to learn. (besides if it takes me longer than that I will probably give up! LOL) Good luck with your pj's and fleece.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob mylittle4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am making p.j.'s for xmas it turned out to be so easy. i will be doing all of our p.j's now. I also make bath robes out of towels for everyone. I will be doing all of the girls spring dresses for pics this year. I do hate patterns for some reason so I try to stick with simple things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to sew when my girls were little, made quite a few matching dresses for them. Patterns are much easier to fit to little people.....lol. I miss sewing clothes, can't wait for grandchildren so I can take it up again!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to sew a little for my kids. I have found now that it is less expensive to buy cute outfits for the girls at yard sales and thrift stores. I do repairs on them or add little things to them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You all know I don't have children, but I have lots of nieces and nephews. I have sewn for all of them (and knit and crocheted!). I used to make all my own clothes except jeans (I have made a pair of those too). I have made t-shirts and sweatshirts for dh, pants, shorts and tops for my mom and sisters.

I love making clothes and home decor items.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like to sew. The fit is better, I choose the colour and fabric and it just works well for me.

The best tip I can give anyone starting out is to use simple patterns, and start with smaller projects like pj's, nighties and fleece blankets.

If you make a mistake, don't beat yourself up. Let it go (don't keep mistakes as trophys for failure, get rid of the evidence fast)

and start something else. View it as the cost of a sewing lesson and throw it away guilt free.

Keep it simple.

Use Kwik Sew pattern books with the master patterns included, that was how I learnt to really sew.

Use a good sewing machine. A better quality second hand from a dealer is better than a cheap machine brand new from Costco.

Get the dealer to give you lessons on YOUR machine. knowning your own machine is vital to succeeding and feeling good about sewing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Frugalmel, you are so funny! I think youwill manage before you DD stars college

I make mostly relaxed casual items, and my son has agreed I can try a pair of basketball shorts as long as I dont' really expect him to wear them out of the house.