Do you have a serger?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Do you have a serger?

What do you make with it?

I got one recently, and while I understand how it works and what it does, I am wondering what other people make with them.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Will be watching this post........

Have one..............well, actually --my closet has one.

I COULD be finishing the seams on the fleece I make......guess there are really good for placemats, napkins, etc. I don't make those.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Hankerchiefs, cloth diapers and wipes(visible serge), sewing knit and stretch(since it has differential feed and my sewing machine does not) & finishing seams(hidden). I've done a little bit of gathering with the serger but I'm not very good with that feature yet. I also want to learn how to use the decorative serge with a ribbon insert and the pintuck features on my serger. Someday!~

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a basic model, 4-thread with no cover hem stitch. I use it mostly for finishing seams or with two needles for actual seams on pillows, curtains, etc.

I make baby bibs out of fingertip towels. Cut out a circle near the top of the towel using an old CD as a pattern. Then cut a piece of knit t-shirt ribbing about 1.5 inches shorter than the circumference of the hole. I usually pin it in four places evenly around the hole and then serge it around, stretching it to fit, using four threads with the stitches set close together for good coverage because you are stitching the terry to the knit as well as covering the terry to prevent unraveling.

You can decorate the bibs with applique or machine embroidery if you have access to that. I've also found Christmas fingertip towels (already embroidered with snowmen, etc.) at a great discount after Christmas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to but I gave it to my ex mil. I don't think she even uses it so I am going to try to get her to sell it back to me. I want it, but I owed my ex dh some money towards buying it so when we divorced, he took it back and gave it to his mom. I used mine to make cloth diapers. I would use it now to make napkins, personal wipes, etc. What I really want is an overlock machine. I think that is what it is called...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Woohoo! I got my serger back!! I gave her $50 for it. I wouldn't have been able to find one for that price anywhere else. She wasn't using it and said she never would. I am so happy to have my serger home. I had only used it for a few months so it should still be good. I just need to get it cleaned and re-oiled, blades sharpened.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I make tops & the kids' pj's with mine. As well as napkins w/a rolled hem :yes:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You've reminded me that I need to get mine out!! Want to make some new napkins. Will see what else I want to play around with!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Leighcat, I'm glad you got it back!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I primarily use it to finish seams. It's great for knits that tend to stretch since my model has a differential feed.

The rolled hem feature is great for lettuce edges on knits.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Glad that you are back in the serging business Leighcat!! All this talk is really making me want to find where I safely stored mine. So much to do, so little time!! Where have I heard that before? It really is such and easy and quick way to sew and have finished seams!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    I make tops & the kids' pj's with mine. As well as napkins w/a rolled hem :yes:
    Do you make your napkins double-sided or just a single piece of fabric? Do you use regular cone thread? I haven't made napkins yet with this material. I am so used to using wooly nylon thread to make things with stretch-knits.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For someone who is new to sewing, do you think a serger is a worthwhile investment? Or would you wait?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by leighcat View Post
    Do you make your napkins double-sided or just a single piece of fabric? Do you use regular cone thread? I haven't made napkins yet with this material. I am so used to using wooly nylon thread to make things with stretch-knits.
    ~I use regular cone thread for handkerchiefs because the fabric is woven cotton. But I make my napkins from t-shirts. T-shirt knit makes great napkins and you could use the thread you're familiar with.~

Quote Originally Posted by Luckybustert View Post
    For someone who is new to sewing, do you think a serger is a worthwhile investment? Or would you wait?
    ~I'd wait on the serger if I were you. I only got mine 2 years ago after 15+ years of regular machine sewing. A serger is more of a finisher. You can do most of its applications with a straight seam and zig-zag stitch. The serger just makes it faster and a bit neater.
    I do love my serger because I love speed but it's not a necessary machine at all.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nuisance26 View Post
    ~I'd wait on the serger if I were you. I only got mine 2 years ago after 15+ years of regular machine sewing. A serger is more of a finisher. You can do most of its applications with a straight seam and zig-zag stitch. The serger just makes it faster and a bit neater.
    I do love my serger because I love speed but it's not a necessary machine at all.~
    Thanks for the advice on this.....I have this bad habit of starting a new hobby and wanting ALL the cool toys right away, whether I really need them or not. I think I'll wait on this one for now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast