Might help crafters and farmers market attendees
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile Might help crafters and farmers market attendees

I went to a local craft show yesterday and tried to pay attention to some of the prices for the people on here that go to FM's and craft shows during the summer to sell things.

Here is what I noticed: I am not sure how ANY of them were selling and didn't inquire........as no one would tell you anyway.

AND........if I noticed people in the booth....you don't know if they are looking to buy..........or make it themselves. (we have lots of crafters here)

It was a good mix of 'crafty home things'......painted, floral items, and bird houses, garden decor items, and decorated pot items. (no $ noted) Even local honey, and lip balm.

Less jewelry than we have had in them in the past.....and since I don't make jewelry or wear it often, not sure how the prices were running, but there were all sorts...the usual, necklaces, bracelets, mostly, but some earrings and key chains.

I do 'some' yarn work and there was some of that.........

knitted scarves were going for over $30.......probably not over 4 to 5 inches wide.

neck wraps were from $22 and up......mostly up. Nice yarn, soft, and using two strands.......usually. Huge buttons and they can be pricey.

No shawls.......but you don't see them being worn in this area that often.

TONS OF BABY THINGS.............everything from bibs, to booties, to dresses, to socks..........no $ noted.

Two types of neck scarves that could be whipped out in a NY minute!!

One was probably about 40 inches long...........just TWO STRANDS of yarn....one rather plain, and one like a fun fur or very fuzzy yarn.........tie a knot at each end with both strands of yarn tied together, to hold them, and in the middle........THAT IS IT. They were going for $14.95.........and up, depending on the two yarns.......nothing over $20. Used for mostly 'summer decor' on an outfit.......hat band, hair band, etc.

The other was just more strands of yarn.......so wider......and nothing UNDER $20....most were right around the $20 mark.

LOTS of girls type 'hair decor'.........no $ noted. Fancy barrettes, hair ties, etc.

Less soap than our 'usual'..........usually sells for around $4 a bar. Some will run a "special" for buying more......like 3 for $15 or etc.

For sewing.............dog scarves......$7 to $10 each. Place mats........set of four.......large piece of fabric with a border (nothing special........and no quilting!)......$20 for set.......some higher..........especially if it was Xmas fabric. Micro potato bags........$10 and up........but under $20.

Jams and candies..........the one gal that was doing jam that I talked to, was $7 for a 4 ounce jar........$11 for the 8 ounce......and I didn't buy any either. I have paid $4 for something I really like and didn't have at home. She had a carrot cake jam that I would like to have tried.........but didn't......and it looked like it had raisins in it.........not for me!

I have a "candy lady" that has THE BEST English Toffee......and she sells 8 ounces for $5..........and it has been $5 for as long as she has been 'fattening me up'..........also has multiple "flavors" of fudge at same price.......vanilla, amaretto, huckleberry, peanut butter, etc.

Hope this can help some of you that hope to sell this summer......good luck. Having done craft shows in the past, I know that you never really know what will sell.

It really depends on YOUR AREA.......this is pretty conservative, and lots of crafters, plus your economy will play a big role in it right now too..........our 'bad' economy is probably still a little higher than the avg.............think our unemp. rate is running right along at avg. to rest of country.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi. That was a pretty thorough survey of items of interest to you. It's good that you noted that you don't know if they were selling or not. Anyone can stick a price on something, but unless it actually sells, that price is imaginary. Better to watch what people buy, THEN covertly check the prices on those items only. Also, find the folks in charge and ask how much it would cost you to get a table there. Prices (and stress levels) are different at $100/table as opposed to $400/table.

You might want to check some prices on etsy.com too. Mostly handmade stuff, much of it grossly overpriced. I'm not sure if you can do a search for sold items or not on that site, but it would be something to see.

A pet peeve of mine ... why oh why is jerky always $15 a pound? I don't even pay that much for a fresh steak...

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A pound of jerky starts out as ~3lbs of beef, that's why. When I get DH a 1lb+ steak, after trimming and drying it doesn't even fill a sandwich baggie.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by scottVee View Post

A pet peeve of mine ... why oh why is jerky always $15 a pound? I don't even pay that much for a fresh steak...
    Then treat yourself and buy fresh steak.....multiples!

I agree with CH........once you make jerky and see how much it takes to make a pound.......you can appreciate the price more. Not to mention the cost of the spices/seasonings to get it started.

Like a lot of things in a 'specialty line'.......can't be truly appreciated until you DIY!!!

Thus.......that is why my comment on the scarves....the easy to make ones..........that is the money maker........not what they have totally knitted up to sell.........your time will often become worth NOTHING after figuring in the yarn cost.