Sewing Challenge 2014 - Page 10
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When we looking for a condo to buy I mentioned to the real estate agent that I really liked the curtains in one of the places we were looking at. He said he would ask the current owners if they would leave the curtains for for us and they did. (We have been living there for around 15 years now.)

I have since found out that it is a pretty common practice. Curtains are often cut for a particular size window so many people are not able to use them at whatever place they are moving to.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We hired movers, or I should say I did, to move three or four large pieces when we moved to the garage and back. Husby still was under the illusion he controlled the money back then (yeah, right! ) and didn't want to pay for movers. But there was no way I was going to move the side by side fridge, gigantic entertainment center, and a couple other really large, heavy, awkward pieces so I just called them when he wasn't looking. It was $50 well spent to hire someone else to break their backs instead of me. I hired them to move stuff back in again, too. By then Husby had figured out I was going to do it whether he liked it or not, and also that he wasn't that enthused about moving that heavy stuff either, so he was over it. He did think we could handle the eight foot slate for the pool table, but I just laughed and called the movers. Three large burly men came and could barely handle it! Again, $75 well spent.

Oh, yea! Speaking of back-savers, the county just came by with a giant loader and knocked the huge mounds of snow on either side of the driveway into the ditches. Husby will be happy to see that. I love seeing our tax dollars at work. It was so high he was having trouble throwing the snow up on top of it when he shoveled the driveway.

I don't like curtains much either. We live in the woods with no near neighbors, so who's going to look in? Besides bears and raccoons, I mean. We have a few windows with blinds but no curtains, too, although I really should do something about that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Speaking of curtains, I LOVE making curtains because then I get exactly what I want and with fabric I love.

Today I was picking up a few things at Walmart and found some 'floaty' I don't know what else to call it fabric. I bought 2 yards of it at $1.50 a yard (I could have probably been fine with one yard) but I want to try and make an infinity scarf with it. It is a very pretty brown color that would match many of my outfits. I love wearing infinity scarves and usually wear them daily to work. A co-worker showed me how she made her own (she always has the prettiest ones!) so I thought, I could do that too! It would save me a fortune instead of buying them at the store.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I finished the outer shell of the nylon thread bag today, so that's something. I started the repair on the van seat cover, too. I hope to get the thread bag done tomorrow.

I started to embroider a pair of pillowcases for our house sitter, too. She stays here while we're on vacation to watch over the house and take care of the kitties, and will never accept anything for doing us such a huge favor. It's hard to get her to accept gifts, too, but I'm hoping she'll take these. They have kitties on them, so she'll probably like them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

KathyB that is very true. When my in laws bought their place back in 94 they asked to keep the curtains in the guest bedroom. They had been specially made for that room to match the vertical blinds at the big sliding patio door in there so they were able to keep them.

Spirit Deer oh I totally plan to hire movers. I told DH when we were in our 20's moving was no problem. Now in our early 50's not so much. LOL! I am not up for moving furniture. We joke about using the Radio Flyer wagon we have to move with and while I can see us taking a box or two here and there using that there is no way we're going to haul a couch over there using that! And I'm sure not carrying it down the driveway under my own power! So yeah, we'll have movers too It will be worth every penny. DH used to be under the same illusion your DH was in that he handled our finances. What he failed to remember if that he was gone for six to eight months out of the year for work (merchant mariner) and I had to handle everything. Now of course his neurological status post all the seizures means the docs said 'don't let him handle your finances" so he's out of the picture He just gets too confused too easily and he transposes numbers, can't remember how to write a check etc. If he's out with DD he uses a credit card or a GC because he has no issues signing his name but he can't handle writing a check. I do run everything by him of course but our finances are 100% my baby.

I love the idea of the kitty pillowcases. I couldn't pass up anything with cats on it I worked on my quilt block last night. It's coming out way too big (14 inches vs 12.5) so I need to go back and tighten up the seams a big. I have three rows done of the six row block. We have craft night again tomorrow so hopefully I can finish that block. Slow going

Debbie-Cat I agree if you're making the curtains it's a win because you get just what you want. Once we move DH wants me to make curtains but for fun I took a swing through the curtain department of a few stores we have here and honestly there's just nothing I want. Making them yourself is the way to go. The fabric you got sounds great and it sounds like a good weight for an infinity scarf too. I think those look so cute but much to my dismay I can't carry the look off. I'm too busty (haha) so I wind up looking too top heavy between my chest and the fabric of the scarf on top of that. Blah

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My husband does handle most of the finances and he's better at it than I am since he has an accounting background, but we both always know what comes in and goes out every month . He used to be more of a control freak about money, which I never accepted, so he finally got over it. The movers were not up for discussion, however. I just made the executive decision to hire them. Lucky for him he got used to the idea I'm able to think for myself.

The pillowcases are almost all stem stitch with some French knots and loop stitch thrown in for variety, so they'll go fast. Then I have to sew on a band to finish them off and do some crochet lace around the edges. Should be a relatively quick project. I searched through the bag box where I store extra bags of various kinds, and found a nice bag I think I'll like for an embroidery project bag. I've always used a Ziploc and maybe I'll keep doing that, but I want to try it out and see if I like a dedicated project bag. Worth a try anyway.

I hope to get the lining made for the thread bag today and get that done, but I have some other stuff to get done first so might not have time. I'd like to get it all done soon though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh using those stitches yes, those pillowcases should come together quickly. I've always struggled with the French knot though. That one I've never mastered. And I think the crocheted lace will look really nice.

I like the dedicated project bag. It is nice to have it all in one place ready to pick up and go. I have a large bag I use to keep my projects in but I use those plastic square scrapbooking supply boxes for individual projects. They are sized for you to put scrapbooking pages into without folding the paper. I use those for things that I don't want to fold like quilt blocks. They are kind of bulky so I don't want to use them for everything and I do use smaller bags (or ziplocs!) for projects that it's OK to fold or wrinkle. I cannot wait to really start organizing this stuff and see just where I am in terms of progress (I probably don't want to really know. LOL)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just recently set up project bags for crocheting and tatting and really like those. I have enough small tools like scissors and needles and all that stuff to keep a full tool set in every bag, so it should save me some running around when I'm starting something new. I hate when I sit down to work and realize I forgot to get something I need. Having the bags all set up should help with that.

I finished up some of my work for work, so I'm going to stitch a while.

It's snowing and blowing and cold again here. The endless winter continues...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh good idea to keep enough tools in each kit that you don't need to run around collecting them before you can start. You're right, it never fails you sit down, get comfortable, pull out project and find you're missing stuff and have to get back up and search around. LOL! Welcome to my world My sewing stuff is all together but it's the needlepoint / cross stitch stuff that's kind of "out there" in terms of disorganization. I've focused more on sewing the last couple of years so the other stuff has fallen a bit by the wayside. I will rectify that!

I hear you on the endless winter. A friend just posted on Facebook about a storm coming in that will affect most of the Northeast coast (including us). Looks to be a bad one. I'm so tired of the snow at this point.

Tonight is craft night with my friend. Bring on the quilt block!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I should finish the embroidery on the first pillowcase today, so that's going well. I haven't done anything about finishing the thread bag yet. Or the van seat cover. Today will be busy so I probably won't get any sewing done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I finished the thread bag. It's probably overkill, but it's about the size of the Ziploc I was using, so it should be okay. I like it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love it Spirit Deer! You did a beautiful job. I love that color green and the block really pulls it all together. Nicely done!

I have a catch up a bit. I went to craft night Thursday and finished my quilt block. Was very excited till I measured and found it was too big. Redid the seams between each square and remeasured. Perfect! Then I measured the other side and discovered now it's too small. Good grief...by then it was 9 pm and I would have had to rip out all the strips and resew them to the correct size so I gave up for the night. Yesterday was my retirement day (YAY!) and DH wanted to throw me a party. I said no, I'm not a party girl but I'd love to take a day trip. So we took off in the morning and spent the day "downeast" in Bar Harbor, Acadia National park and Bass Harbor. We had such a great time. It was cold of course but really nice. Now on the setting myself up with a list of things I need to accomplish here in the house to prep for the move and also to be sure I allow enough time for crafting

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Those are Viking football colors, the purple and gold, and I thought I better include Packers green so if I use it in Wisconsin when we're camping over there, I might escape with my life! But really, I just played around with potential colors and those three seemed to fit together the best. The bag's not really as huge as it looks in the pic. I put a loop on the top so I can hang it from my camp recliner.

I finished the embroidery on the pillowcases, so now I have to scare up some fabric to make the band around the ends of them. I'm debating if I want to do any crochet on them or not. It depends what I find for fabric.

Your day trip sounds great! I'd love to see Acadia NP. It's been on the wish list for years, but even though Husby gets five weeks of vacation a year, he doesn't feel like he can take it all at once, so we've never gone more than two weeks. We'd want more time than that to see New England and some of the eastern provinces in Canada.

Do the fishing fleets go out in the winter, too?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love that you coordinated the colors around the teams where you camp! People here can get pretty passionate about their sports too I myself don't follow sports and neither does my husband but I do confess when I hear "our team" has made to the Super Bowl or World Series or something like that I do get excited (but I still don't watch the event. LOL)

Did you find any fabric for the edging of the pillowcases?

Our day trip was great! Acadia NP is all that and a bag of chips (an expression you hear around here). When you do head this way you would be smart to see all (or as much as possible) of New England and the Eastern Provinces in CA. We've been to New Brunswick and PEI. Spent a long weekend in Nova Scotia and my family has roots there so we plan to go back for a longer visit. Just gorgeous.

Yes, boats do go out even in the winter depending on which fish they are going for. Shrimp season was cancelled to let the stocks build back up. DH was disappointed because he loves to go to the co-op and buy the shrimp fresh from the boat when they come then haul it home and pick it himself. I won't eat shrimp but he likes to have some for the freezer so he can have it year round.

Today is the first workday that I'm not going into work. Seems so odd when I got up this morning to not hustle and get ready to go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was sort of kidding about the colors. Those three just seemed to go together best, I think because they're so bright and intense. To be honest, when we're camping in Wisconsin, I tend to pull on my Minnesota Vikings sweatshirt and stroll around the campground to see how much trouble I can stir up. LOL. We've met some really fun people that way. We love Wisconsin and Wisconsonites, with the exception of their governor. It's a great state with (mostly) great people.

I haven't looked for the pillowcase edging yet.

Enjoy your first day of retirement! I can imagine it does seem odd.

I started the next tatted doily last night. This one has tatted flowers, starting with one in the middle. I got that done but it could be better. The next ones will be. I like how it's going so far.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast