Sewing Challenge 2014 - Page 17
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OK, clothesline method worked well (catchy name). I only had time for half a block but today is another day

Hoping to get some more sewing done tonight. Haircut this afternoon then I'm free for the evening!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad it worked out for you! I always love it when I learn something new and useful to me. Not everything works for everyone.

I think I'm going to take the old sheets that didn't work out for the Hawaii quilt and make some fast and sloppy slipcovers for the couch cushions. I've been using a bedspread we had in the motorhome on the couch there, but it's not working very well with the living room couch. I think individual covers would work better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh good thinking!! Repurposing Individual covers work best, I agree.

We have this fake sheepskin throw thing that we toss over the dog's couch because it's easy to pull off and wash. Every time she gets off the couch it needs to be straightened (I'm not saying I straighten it every time. I'm not quite that bothered by it) but it should be done so it would look nice We don't sit on it though so I confess I'm not always inspired to fix it. LOL! If we were taking that couch to the new house I would make individual covers. They can still be removed for washing and I wouldn't feel compelled to straighten them at times..

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Man been a busy week. The holiday was lovely. Now back to my sewing! Still on the quilt blocks. You know I loved the idea of this project but it's been so tough for me to focus on it. I'm not sure if it's because this year has been so crazy with a death in the family, medical issues and the new house we're building or what?

Anyway, back to the machine I go

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There you are! I was thinking about you this morning and hoping all was well.

I've been busy, too. Not much sewing and nothing interesting, but I've gotten a few things done lately.

Today I'm sewing slipcovers for the new foam I ordered over the weekend for my bed in the Aliner. It came yesterday, and I tried it out on the couch since that needs cushions, too. I think it's going to work out great in the camper and I like it for the couch, too, so will be ordering more. It'll be nice to finally have a comfortable couch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The new cushions are all done and installed, so I can check that off the list now. We're thinking about going to the Black Hills again soon, so I need to get going on prepping the trailer in case we do go.

I need to drag out the screen door I was sewing before we left for Utah last fall and get that done, too. I ran out of time before we left. Our dog wants in if she's out and vice versa, so we don't get any peace if we want to sit around outside. I'm hoping the screen door will solve that problem, so she can let herself in and out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi! Oh yes, all is well. Just got really busy with three events this past week. Our DGD turned 3, DH turned 52 and we had Easter! LOL! On a side note it was also a food fest so that's not got a happy ending. HA!!

Nice job finishing up the cushions. I'm excited about your possible trip to Black Hills. That sounds great!! I cracked up at your dog comment about being in and out. I was just telling DH the other day I saw a picture on Facebook which had a side by side of a dog. In one pic he's outside the door and in the other he's inside the door. One caption is "let me in, let me in, let me in" and the other side is "let me out, let me out, let me out". You probably had to see it to appreciate it but I busted out laughing. Why is the dog always on the wrong side of the door??? How will your dog get in with a screen door? I am guessing to get out she just pushes her nose against it..does she get in the same way?

I am off with DD to the Taste of Home Cooking Show today so no sewing. We're excited to have a mother / daughter day Will check in tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The screen door is more of a curtain with magnets down the middle. She should be able to just push through it.

Today I'm hoping to finally get our living room couch cut down. Then I'll be able to get exact measurements for the new cushions. I decided against buying new cushions for now. I buy up foam as I see it at rummage sales, and I have a pretty good assortment. I'm going to drag it all out and see what I can cobble together. I'd rather use that up if I can. I'd save $100+, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's a great idea for a screen door! She should be able to get in and out of that easy peasy! Knowing our dog she'd still stand there and expect us to open it. LOL!

Couch cushions are so expensive to buy new / replacements. I think making them with the foam is a great idea. Big money saver! How did cutting the couch down go?

Yesterday I did a little organizing. I had a pile of "stuff" from the various quilt shops I've visited the last week or so from the shop hop so I finally took some time last night to sort that out and put stuff away. I was starting to get a little overwhelmed with the clutter surrounding the sewing area. Not sure what's on tap for today yet. I would like to get back in the craft room and either work on my blocks or this little wall hanging I found I had stashed away (it's an Easter one though so no real rush on getting it done). On the one hand I SHOULD do the quilt blocks but on the other end I'm tired of little triangles and the Easter wall hanging is really cute. hahaha. Decisions, decisions...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sugar has a dog door in the house, so she should adapt to the camper screen door fairly easily.

We took seven inches off the couch. It went well, luckily. It's a crate style, so I figured it would be pretty easy. This is not our chair but this is the same style as our couch.

I rounded up some foam and have the backs figured out. The seat is mostly figured out too, but I still have to scare up some smaller pieces of the right thickness and density to fill in. That could be interesting.

I'd go for the Easter wall hanging!

Today's goal here is to sort through all the assorted crap on the pool table. I'm hoping that won't take all that long.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That style lends itself well to cutting down. What a good idea that was!

How did sorting through the pool table crap go? Were you able to get rid of a bunch of stuff? I went through one of the kitchen cabinets the other day and tossed two bagfuls of stuff that was either outdated, half empty and caked in the bottom (baking powder) or just plain "why did I buy this??" I hate throwing things out but I won't keep expired meds (we drop those at the police station) and I know food will last a bit past the expiration but I think 2006 was a stretch (several boxes of pudding). LOL! It might have been fine but I'm not chancing it.

We've got an appt this morning and when we get back I need to hit the cleaning trail. Vacuum...dust. Ugh. But the bright side is tonight is craft night and I think I you've talked me into starting on that Easter project (for next year). Woo hoo!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Haha! Have fun with the Easter project.

I'm tabling all non-camping sewing for now. I think we're going out to South Dakota again pretty soon so will have to focus on getting the camper set up for the season. Yesterday I replaced the guy lines on the awning with glow in the dark, reflective paracord so we don't trip on them in the dark. Then I made guy line tensioners out of pop can tabs so now we can adjust the length without having to move the stakes. Love that!

I didn't get as far as I wanted on the pool table mess, but it's progressing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have deconstructed a skirt that belonged to my grandmother in the 70's. I am hoping to draft a skirt pattern and make a cute spring/summer skirt. It's sheer and has a lining

I have also started altering my dress pants. They are pull on with a facing, but it doesn't work for my hour glass So I am putting an invisible zipper in the side seam, then to get them fitting the waist, so it doesn't gape, I will add a couple darts under the belt loops. Not a major dart but a couple small ones just in the waist band so that it cinches in a little more. It's a nearly 3" waist band, so it be long enough, the seat of the pants fit really well, it's just that my waist curves in alot.. If it works nicely on the thrift store pants, I will do it to the 2 other pairs.

Should be fun

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Very summery! It should be really pretty.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Pants are apart and ready for the zipper. Hope to pick them up tonight.

I am thinking of making some dress forms. I am going to make the top by making a sloper. I don't care for the duct tape ones. I find that they are not making a flattering shape. I am going to work on a really fitted sloper top, wearing a great bra with a good muslin using princess lines. When I get it right, I am going to use a stiffer fabric, maybe canvas with a long zipper, get dd17 to mark waist, hip, measure height to hip from the floor, center back, side seams, neck line. Then get dd to spray it with a stiffener, and when not completely stiff, I will come out of it. Then let it dry completely. Then figure out how to shellac it so it stays really hard.... Stuff it and hang it.

I want to do a pant form, those are quicker to make, so I will just get dh to help make a duct tape. From natural waist to knee over a pair of close fit leggins. Mark the waist and hip as well as height from floor before cutting off. Should be about a 40 minute project.