Sewing Challenge 2014 - Page 18
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know if I'd be that ambitious!

I'm working on couch cushions today. Got the back ones done. When I pulled the covers off the old seat covers though, I found out the foam is all crumbly. I'm parked on the two layers I have left to see if they will be thick enough. I hope so. Now that I've made up my mind not to spend that $100+ on new foam, I really want to use what I already have.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stupid typo. Above, it should say "When I pulled the covers off the old seat cushions." Way to confuse people!

Anyway, I'm glad the old cushions were toast because I found some better, thicker foam hiding at the back of a shelf. I pieced together all four cushions and made the covers that hold them together. I dragged out the denim seat covers I made years ago for the cockpit seats in the motorhome and will be making those over once I get them deconstructed.

I'm so excited to finally be getting this couch the way I want it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It will be some work, yes. But I need to alter my clothes all the time, and it's expensive to get done, and we're so busy, it's hard for me to get done with dd17. She is getting to the stage she is helpful. But it's easier for me to see. she's still a 'let's hurry up and get it done' stage, where I'm at 'let's do it right so I can look my best'. Having forms will help me to see how it looks. If I could find a way to make a knee to neck form all in one, I would..lol. But don't think it'll happen. I'm happy to have one for pants and one for dress/tops. Good enough. I don't plan an making any jumpsuits or overalls, so between the two, i should be ok.

If mine works, we may make one for dd17 as well. She is doing advanced fashion designs in school next year, and having a dress form would be very helpful for her.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Here's the couch, all finished!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ack! I'm behind! LOL! I've been so sick with a rotten cold the past few days. Down on the couch or recliner sick. Coughing, sneezing..wahh. I'm feeling better today but still think I'm up for a nap (which is pathetic considering I've only been up for 3 hours). I'm hoping all the extra rest is helping as I do feel a little better.

Anyway, mommy4ever I am in awe of people who can alter clothes. I could adjust a hem or maybe let out a seam or take one in but other than that I am OUT. I can't replace zippers or remake clothes into something else. I'm also impressed about making your own dress form!! I don't sew enough clothing for myself that I'd use it but if I did that would be handy. I do make things for myself like PJ pants but that's about it. I make clothes for my granddaughter but she's growing so fast a dress form wouldn't keep up with her. LOL! I can't wait to see the finished products!

Spirit Deer the couch looks fantastic. You did a great job. This is out in left field but I also really like those things that are clamped to the couch that look like maybe magnifier lights? Man I could use that when I do cross stitch or needlepoint. I use a headlamp which works but it's a pain if DH says something to me as I turn to look at him and blind him with the light I forget I have on my head. HAHA! Poor guy.

I have accomplished nothing with regards to sewing or crafting of any sort. I've just been lying around drinking NyQuil and feeling sorry for myself. Hopefully this week will go much better and I'll get some sewing done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One is a magnifier lamp, and on the other end is a regular articulating desk lamp. That was another problem with buying new furniture, no place to put those lights. I've tried tons of other types and nothing works. They're ugly, but since they work so well for me, I'm not willing to give them up. The magnifier is sometimes hard to use because it has to be at the right distance from my eyes and then from the piece I"m working on, or else I get a headache from it hours later. But it's great for when I really need a magnifier. The regular light is the one I use all the time. It can use a 100-watt equivalent florescent bulb so I get a really bright light that doesn't give off much heat, perfect for me.

I hope you feel better soon. It's so hard to be sick in the spring when winter has kept you inside all these months and you just want to be out, but then you have to stay in some more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ahh...yeah, I can see the headache thing being a problem unless the distance is just right. Hadn't thought about that. I had DH get me an Ott light for the craft table a couple of Christmas' ago and that does help a lot. But it only is good if I'm sitting at the table. It's the stuff that I do while sitting on the couch watching TV that's harder to work around. This is probably a sign I should stop watching so much TV. hahaha

I think the enforced rest and Nyquil is doing it's part and I am feeling better today. You are so right though, with the long winter we had it's so nice to have sun and warmer temps and I sit inside sniffling into a box of tissue. Ah well...get it out of the way now right?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So much inspiration - love it and mahalo!

Need to make a skirt for a presentation I am making for a church group on Tuesday night! Fortunately I have the fabric and skirt I am going to copy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey Maui that's great you've got the fabric and the skirt you need to copy already. I should always hit my fabric stash FIRST when I want to sew something vs. buying more fabric but sometimes I get near the fabric store and...well...it's not pretty. LOL! Man I love fabric.

Been busy this week catching up on all the things I slacked on when I was down with that cold. I did manage to get another quilt block started though and I'm happy about that. I got the triangles all sewed and went to press them so I could sew them into the strips and discovered the iron wasn't working I was at my friend's house crafting so I had to save that till I could come home and press them. We are going out for Mother's Day tomorrow and I told DH since it's Mother's Day when we get home I get to do what I want which is sew

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yoo hoo!! Anyone home?? LOL! I just got back from a little trip with one of my dear friends. Back to the sewing. Been working on another wreath (so that's actually more crafting than sewing). I needed a red / white / blue one for Memorial Day and 4th of July and a summery one for after the 4th. So that's been the thing I have been working on the most. I did do some more work on my quilt block getting the triangles all ironed out and ready to put into the strips to create the block.

What have you all been up too?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, I'm not home! I'm in Spearfish, South Dakota!

Yesterday we got to watch a trout round-up after a bunch of huge trout made a break for it from the hatchery next door. Too funny! The guys doing the rounding up were laughing, so I guess they thought it was funny, too.

I really should quit camping. Every time we go somewhere I dream up some new camper project. This trip, I'm obsessing about two things. I've concluded I'll lose my mind without privacy curtains that go halfway up the windows. We have really good curtains now, but they let in almost no light when they're closed and just take too long to open and close when we want to use the potty or change clothes or something. Having curtains that slide easily back and forth would be helpful, and having the tops of the cathedral windows open for light would be nice, too. So when we get home I'll have to dig through the stash and see if I have anything I can use for that project. I've already figured out how to attach some spring curtain rods without making any holes in the camper, so that's half the battle. I'm just going to sew three rectangles and one weird semi-triangular shape to fit across the two windows, and then use curtain rings that clip on, so it should be a fairly quick project. I may be able to rework the curtains we took out of the motorhome which would make it even quicker, but I won't know that till I can get my hands on them.

The other obsession isn't a sewing project. I salvaged a brand new (except for a broken leg) fast-set style canopy from a Dumpster at Fort Lincoln State Park near Mandan, North Dakota, earlier this week. I'm hoping I can cut down this 9x9 canopy and re-work it into the framework I need to support the shower curtain and shower head for our portable indoor shower for the trailer. I'd like it to double as a folding clothesline rack while I'm at it. I'm thinking the fix for the broken leg will be fairly easy, so that's not a problem. If this works, I'll have a shower stall that sets up in a flash and ditto the clothesline. Both are problems I've been trying to come up with good solutions for for two years. I also like that this would be a multiple use item to save space. We rarely use our own shower but when we do need it it's great to have it. But we'd use the clothes rack almost every trip, which would make the space we'll have to give up more worthwhile. Can't wait to get home and see what I can do with this crippled canopy frame. Dang, I love people who don't want to fix things! This canopy sells at Walmart for $50, and I wouldn't have spent that for the shower frame or the clothesline, but hopefully I'll be getting both from brand new materials for free. It may not work out at all, but now I have the opportunity to try it without spending any money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi, hi, hi!! LOL! That's too funny that you're not home! Glad you're out camping. I am so glad camping season has finally arrived. Ours gets into swing Memorial Day weekend. We have no plans to go though with the house stuff and all but oh I hope to before the end of the season.

I did giggle at you camping and finding new projects for the camper each time The free canopy sounds great. I scored a screen tent from Cabela's at Goodwill for 25.00. Not as good as free but it was brand new. Retailed for 200.00 on the Cabela's site. It was a quick set up canopy with a screen room and a tent. Apparently the folks that bought it originally couldn't get the tent piece so they scrapped the whole thing! I'd been looking for a screen room for our camping stuff but just hadn't found any that weren't a pain to set up or cost 100.00 bucks etc. I saw this tagged as "screen room but couldn't get tent" and figured "why not". Got it home and opened it to find the pieces were all still in their packaging etc. I then checked the website and saw the retail price. People have way too much money to throw away. We have gotten tons of use out of that canopy / screen room. Love it. And love people that waste things like you said! It would have been better if mine had been free but it was still a huge price reduction from what I could find around here. But free is best!

The trout round up must have been hilarious. I can just picture it. There is a hatchery about 1/2 hour from us and we take a peek at the fish when we go to the area. They are HUGE. Must have been some funny watching them make a break for it.

I"m really hoping we can spring for the Aliner camper next year (used if we could find one in good shape or new if that's all we can find). This year with the house and the pool it's a no go but I'd love to think we could pull it off next year. It would be nice to have something that I could manage myself if DH is having a rough day with his medical issues.

Anyway, I got my blocks laid out ready to sew into the strips and will work on that more tonight. We're getting ready to head out for a drive since it's a nice day. Tomorrow and Sunday is rain, rain and more rain. Hope you have safe travels back home!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We didn't see the trout escape but I did see one of them when we drove in, right before the manhunt trouthunt started. He was just lazing around in a little pool in the creek next to the campground road. Big guy! The big pool they have for the biggest trout is right by us, across the road maybe 200 feet away. The creek is right across from us, so we just pulled up our chairs and watched from the camper. We should have made ourselves some popcorn for the show! LOL

Heckuva a buy on the Cabela's screen tent. Congrats! $25 for a $200 tent is practically free! Silly people. I'm embarrased to say what we have in our QuikShade which was very expensive by itself, and then I not only bought solid walls and screen walls for it besides, but then I bought smoked UVR plastic and made windows in two of the solid panels so it wasn't like being stuck in a box. Way too much money in it but it's been a very good canopy for us for years now, so it's worth it.

Stoltzfus RV in Pennsylvania handles Aliners and they might get used ones. I'm not sure how far that is from you, but you can check them out online. Maybe they'd be close enough for you to go look at some. Some dealers will put you on a list for used rigs if you let them know what you're looking for. We're partial to the Expeditions, of course, since that's what we have. It's Aliner's biggest model, so you get the most space in them. I don't know anything about Stoltzfus, just seen some of their Aliner videos online and it seems like they have lots of Aliners.

We decided to skip Roosevelt NP on the way home and head for Lincoln again instead. We're leaving here Sunday AM, so have another day to check things out around here. It's going well even though we had to leave two days late. Normally it takes us three days to drive this far, but it worked out nicely that the second part of our trip coming out was almost all interstate, so easier driving. It won't be that easy on the way home so we'll take three days to get home. We won't get there exhausted, so that'll be nice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Trouthunt That just makes me chuckle every time I read that word. That must have been some show. See, now I have friends that can't comprehend why we like to camp and this is why. You see some of the darndest things in a campground vs a hotel (although I have seen some things in hotels that made me shake my head. haha). There's nothing like sitting around the campfire at the end of the day..

I'll have to look up the RV place you mentioned. We are in Maine and I think PA is about 10-12 hours depending on where in PA. If the price was right it would be worth the trip as we have friends / family we could visit on the way so we could kill two birds with one stone. I did look up Aliner dealers in this area and there is one about two hours from us so that's an easier haul. I debated telling DH we should go just look at them and get some ideas for next year but I'm afraid it will be too tempting and we'll want it NOW. LOL!

Safe travels on the way home today. Hope you have great traveling weather.

I have been working on my door wreath and didn't get to the blocks last night. I kind of want to get the wreath finished since once I focus on it it will go quickly.

Had to come back and edit so I could add this piece. I meant to ask your opinion (and anyone who reads this). My crafting buddy and I are talking about our Christmas crafting plans so we can get started earlier this year. Two things we came up with are a quilted table runner or a candle mat (we will include candle). Assuming you like candles which one would you get the most use out of? The table runner or the candle / candle mat? The candle mat would double as a trivet where you could put a hot dish on it on the table etc. What do you think?
    Last edited by hikr00; 05-18-2014 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a question

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I'd like/use the candle mat more than the table runner, although that would be nice too. Either sounds like a nice gift.

Oh, c'mon! Go look at Aliners! ~said the Devil, laughing uproariously~ It took us three years to decide to buy ours because we did a lot of research on Aliners, Chalets, and TrailManors. In the end, Aliner won because the nearest Chalet dealer was in Idaho, TrailManors are very hard to find around here, and the Aliner dealer was only a five-hour drive. It's important to research and get ideas, IMO, and I'm not just saying that to enable you. It's one thing to look at something online and totally different to walk into one and see it in person. If you see them, you might not even like them. They're definitely not for everyone. Be sure to check out the ones from Rockwood and Flagstaff, too. We have a lot of reasons we wouldn't want them, but a lot of people seem to like them, and it's always good to make an informed choice.

If you're not willing or able to do the inevitable repairs and adjustments needed on an RV, give a lot of thought to staying with a dealer as close to you as possible. Our dealer is five hours away so the stuff we've needed to deal with under warranty, we've done ourselves working directly with the factory. Luckily, it hasn't been anything major or we'd have had to tow it back down by Minneapolis, not fun.

I hate hotels. Even the expensive, nice ones don't seem really clean, and if those news reports about how filthy they ALL really are are any indication, no thanks. I'll take my trailer every time because I know the sheets were washed and the bedspread isn't full of body fluids from a thousand other people and nobody died in our bed the night before. The ick factor is just too huge in hotels. I'll stay in a hotel if I don't have any other choice, but if we can avoid it, we will. Yuck!

The weather hasn't been too bad for travel. Wind, of course. Always to be expected in the Dakotas and one huge reason we didn't buy a full-height travel trailer. It's cold and rainy here at Itasca State Park in Minnesota. This is our last night out. It'll be good to get home tomorrow and see our kitties. Husby has a cold, so he'll be doubly glad to get home. It was cold in Spearfish too, so we finally used our furnace. This is the third season we've had this camper and somehow we managed not to check out the furnace. It was demo'ed at the dealer the day we bought it so we knew it worked, but it was stupid on our part not to use it before this while it was still under warranty. But we haven't needed it. We're surprised how quickly it warms the place up, just a few minutes. And it's quieter than the other furnaces we've had in campers. Every time we use our camper, we love it more!

We walked over the hatchery before we left Spearfish yesterday morning, to feed the fry one last time. They have a wide walking bridge over that pool and when we got there, it was early morning and there were three mallard ducks asleep on the bridge next to the little vending machines that sell fish food. Husby walked up about two feet from them and they just laid there, unconcerned. We had the dog, of course, so didn't want to disturb them, so I went and got food from another vending machine, feeling guilty because I wasn't going to feed the big fish in that pool. The fish know the sound of the machines (like gumball machines where you turn a little crank and the food drops down behind a little door you open to get it) and they cluster around the space below, waiting to be fed. Anyway, I took the food back over the small fry pond and commenced feeding the fish. After a while, I heard this low muttering sound and realized the ducks had waddled to the end of the bridge. Apparently, they know the sound of the vending machines, too! They had come to beg for breakfast! So cute. So we had to feed them, too. They gobbled up what I gave them, all the time making these soft little quacking sounds we could barely hear. Just adorable. Another fun camping memory to add to the treasure trove.

Tomorrow it's time to get back into work mode. We have so much to do around our place. I hate to think about it, but all vacations have to end sometime.