Sewing Challenge 2014 - Page 19
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am here.

I made a couple simple stuffed dragons a couple weeks ago I am hoping to get around to posting pictures of.

I made my transition from my cold weather clothes to warm weather clothes and I have been doing some repair work on a few pieces.

I am still undecided on what to do with a long skirt I have. The fabric is frayed near the top of the elastic waist, but the rest is in good shape. I might sew some decorative stretch elastic over that part. I am also thinking of cutting off the top two inches and making a new elastic waist. The skirt would be shorter, but it is long to start with, so it might be okay. I kind of like the length it is though.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We got home late this afternoon. We're tired! You know how it is when you're in a situation and doing fine, but once you're back where you no longer have to deal, you're exhausted. Husby was sick all the way home, so he's doubly glad to be home. We had a great trip though!

I need to get at some sewing real soon, but I'm not sure when. I'll have to think it over. I have plenty of projects to choose from.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spirit Deer you are the devil encouraging / enabling me to go look at the Aliners. LOL! I want to sooo badly but thinking about the check I wrote to the pool company reminds me that spending more money right now is not a good idea. Drat it all! Thinking though about your mention of staying near the dealer in case there are issues with repair or something is a really good point. DH can do some repairs but his health being what it is he's passing on stuff that he used to be able to fix because he just doesn't have the energy to tackle anything other than really small projects. Even if the prices in PA are killer we would not want to haul ourselves down there if there was an issue etc. The place in Maine that deals with them is about two hours away so that's probably the avenue we'd better take. Good points, thanks for mentioning that as I hadn't thought of that issue.

Yeah, we will stay in hotels if we need too but as you said there is a huge ick factor there. I always wind up dismantling the bed sheets to check for bed bugs or anything like that. DH thinks I'm crazy but I am not crawling into a bed unless I'm sure there's nothing in there with me!! LOL!

That is really cute about the ducks coming over for a snack when you fed the fish. We love ducks (and loons). There's a lake across the road from us and I love walking the dog at night and hearing the loons call back and forth. We camping over at a large lake here in Maine and there was a duck that was swimming in the water in front of our site. Our daughter had gone out to the float and was sunning herself out there with a bag of Cheez-Its. She set the bag down and the duck zipped over, grabbed the bag and tossed it in the water and proceeded to eat all the Cheez Its!! DD was indignant but DH and I couldn't stop laughing. He was so quick!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi KathyB! Do you maybe have some fabric that might coordinate with the skirt that has the frayed elastic at the top?? If you don't wear the skirt with a shirt tucked in could you use a coordinating fabric and add it to the top then put the elastic in there so you'd still get to keep the skirt the same length that it is since you like that length? You'd have to cut the frayed part off then attach the new stuff to the skirt from there?

Welcome home Spirit Deer! I posted just above this post here and mentioned you in it. I wasn't sure if you'd see I posted twice or not. I know just what you mean...the adrenalin of traveling crashes once you're home and you're so tired you can hardly move. Rest up today! Hope your husband feels better. Mine has been sick with a "man cold" and he's been pretty sluggish. Poor guy. So glad you had a great trip!

Craft night was last night and I finished my wreath. Now I have another one to start then it's back to the quilt blocks. I get so bogged down in those triangles that I just have to take a break (problem is I take too many breaks which is why they are coming together so slowly. I have so many sewing projects lined up that I'm easily distracted!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Been a bit since I checked in here! Summer has arrived finally so we've been enjoying the outside. I haven't done a lot of sewing although I did do the short five store quilt shop hop with DD. We had a great time. Beautiful fabrics and new ideas abound. I picked up a pattern to make a cross body purse for myself for when we go on vacation this summer. My current purse is a cross body and I love it but it's much too small for traveling where I will want a camera close by etc.

I did finish up my patriotic wreath (red, white and blue) and will leave that up until the 4th of July. I'm working on a beach / water themed wreath now which will go up after the 4th and stay up for the rest of the summer.

We still aren't moved into the new house but we are making progress. The electrician and plumber have been working on their piece and the contractor finally started siding the garage yesterday. DH is cutting a couple of trees to make room for the pool and once those trees are down the excavator will come in and do his digging and the cement guy will do his then the pool will go in. I am so tired of this project and I just can't wait till we are DONE.

Thinking today I will work on my wreath once I get back from the grocery store. I need to address the next quilt block too. I picked up the last one for the quilt block of the month club so I have all the fabric needed and directions. Now to focus on doing it!

How are the rest of my fellow sewers doing? Spirit Deer, I bet you are camping!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not much sewing here either. Okay, none. I've been doing other things but I can't think what. Not camping.

The mosquitoes are taking over the world here so we can't even enjoy being outside.

It sounds like the house is coming along. I need to get an electrician out here too, to finish off the wiring that was roughed in eleven years ago. No sense rushing into these things. Someone is coming next week to try again to fix our AC. This is the third summer we haven't had it working. They can't figure out what's wrong with it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It looks like no one has time to sew this summer.

I've been working on a few things. I did some sorting and reorganizing in my sewing room so I could clear off the three machines I use the most, and that's helping a lot. I feel more like going in there to work when I don't have the serger and sewing machine sitting six inches apart on the same little table, or work on the industrial with a mountain of stuff that keeps sliding down into a work space three inches wide next to the needle. I have a way to go getting that room cleaned up but at least it's better and all three of those machine tables are completely cleared off so I have room to work again.

I made a seat cover for the back seat of the truck. The dogs tested it out yesterday and it won't stay in place right, so I'll have to correct that. That shouldn't be very difficult. I just need to figure out the best way to fasten the hem of the cover under the front of the seat. Then I get to have a fun-filled experience trying to figure out how the heck to make the covers for the front seats, which have all kinds of knobs and buttons on the sides of the seat sections, side curtain airbags that obviously can't be blocked, and seat belts that come right out of the seat backs. I have a few ideas.

I'm working on a dog harness for our new dog, so he can be clipped to a seat belt in the vehicles and won't jump out when the door opens. I have that at least half done. I need to sew him an oversize jacket for camping too.

I haven't gotten back to the camper curtains I dreamed up when we were on vacation in May, but I have them laying out ready to go. I still haven't taken measurements of the windows, but will get that soon. The curtains should go quickly and I know we'll be glad to have them.

I have a pair of embroidered pillowcases that need to have a band added to the edge so I can give them to our housesitter. She's so good to us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I actually have been sewing - just haven't posted in a long, long time.

Back when I could just buy a pattern, cut it out, sew it up and it FIT, I sewed almost all my clothes.
    Now that I'm much older, I wear about 3 different sizes!
    And I HATE altering things - I'm just not good at it.

I found a book buy Nancy Zieman (Sewing with Nancy) and tried her method for altering patterns. It works pretty well. It's more work, of course, than the "cut out and sew" method, but I actually end up with something that fits me.

I've made 8 summer tops and 2 pairs of capri pants. The pants fit well enough to wear, but they need some tweaking. That's my next project - perfect a pants pattern!

Here's a few pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sewing Challenge 2014-black-eyelet.jpg  

Sewing Challenge 2014-blue-print.jpg  

Sewing Challenge 2014-red-print-v-neck.jpg  

Sewing Challenge 2014-toile-capris.jpg  

Sewing Challenge 2014-white-turquoise-print.jpg  

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Very nice! I like the styles. You've been busy!

I need to start sewing for myself more. I wear T shirts most of the time and that's boring, but I feel like making clothes that would fit me would be admitting I'll never lose weight. Maybe I need to make one top one size too small out of something I won't mind giving away when it gets too big. Then I could have a goal to lose to fit into it, and then later, be happy to say goodbye to it as I move down another size. This idea bears some thought. That would help clear out my sewing room, too.

Today I need to measure for the camper curtains and see if I'm going to have any problems with that idea. If not, then I should just make them up and be done with it. It shouldn't be much of a challenge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've been doing small projects, mostly catching up on mending. I have to make a new cover for the couch in the rv, which is also dd10's bed. The seam where the seat meets the back has pulled apart. Dh wants me to just hand stitch it together, but the fabric is frayed, it will just continue. I am going to get dd17(works in a fabric store gets an extra 30% off sale prices) to get me some brown or plum denim. I need to measure the twin bed. I will make like a fitted sheet to cover it. Tired of looking at it. Still trying to decide how I'm securing it. It needs something at the fold in the couch, or it's going to balloon and look icky. But it's got mechanisms for folding. Not sure I can secure to existing frame as there are lots of things already on it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That kind of stuff can be pretty tricky.

I suggest patching the fabric where the seam has split, to stop the damage from getting worse. It's not fun to hand stitch that kind of thing but it's worthwhile.

Could you add a complimentary fabric over the top of the torn part, along the entire length of the sofa? Make the patch look like it belongs there? I know, it's a pain but so is building a complicated cover from scratch.

Would it work to leave about a foot of fabric that can be tucked into the seam of the couch where the back and seat meet? My mom's couch cover in her home is like that, and it seems to work quite well. The fabric is like a duck cloth, not slippery at all, and I think that helps it stay in place.

Is this a jackknife sofa? Are the back and seat separate from each other? I'm not following if the twin bed is the couch or something separate, so if you're talking about making something like a fitted sheet to use as a couch cover, that's what I was going to suggest trying, especially if it could be attached somehow at the back of the cushion. You could do the same with the back section of the couch, leaving enough fabric to tuck behind.

Of course I could be all wrong about everything. Your couch could be completely different than what I'm envisioning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm really procrastinating on that pants pattern I need to work on.
    Instead, I made another new top, using one of the patterns I had already altered to fit. That made it so much easier - just cut it out and sew......

It's a deep coral "linen look" that I had for ??????? years!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sewing Challenge 2014-coral-linen.jpg  

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like that! It looks very summery and comfortable.

Today I need to figure out the last stages in the sled dog harness I'm making for our new boy, Sota. It's been a problem getting it just right. Luckily, he's a very good boy who stands so patiently while I try it on him repeatedly. The tricky part is it needs to be fitted without padding, and then thick padding added after all the stitching is done, which of course changes how it fits. But I think I might have figured out how to handle that problem. It would be nice to get the dang thing done, finally, since we need it so he can't accidentally jump out of the vehicle when we stop somewhere. We've only had him five weeks today but we'd be so heartbroken if anything happened to him. We loved him the minute we laid eyes on him.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I'm not having much luck on a pants pattern.
    I think I'll just drop that idea for awhile and make something I'm sure of.
    My stepmother wants me to make her a couple of skirts - rayon challis with elastic waist - simple. At least I'll feel like I'm accomplishing something.
    I'll go back to pants some other time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been working on a finger woven rug lately, so no sewing. I'm thinking about things, though.

I've gotten a lot done lately. I don't know if I posted it, but I finished up the camper cushion covers so those are ready to go back in the camper.

I did get the camper curtains sewn, for the most part. I still have to add loop tape to one panel, but can't determine the placement till I get the rods installed which I haven't done yet. It's going to be so darn nice to be able to just slide the curtains closed when we need to change clothes or whatever instead of having to close up the whole place. Or be able to shut out a bad view if needed and still let in some light at the top of the windows.

I got Sota's harness done. I'm not entirely happy with the fit and the orange reflective tape is not going to be on there long because the stitching cut through it in places. Oh, well. Sota clearly has never been a sled dog because he was afraid to move when I put the finished harness on him. Maybe that's why he stood so nice during fittings. LOL. I made him wear it the whole afternoon when it was finished and he wasn't happy. If you'd have seen him then, you'd have sworn he was ninety years old just based on how slow he moved. He's getting used to it a little more now, and wore it all day Saturday when we did an out of town shopping trip. He's moving a little better. Eventually I'm sure he won't even notice he's wearing it. But notice the frown. I just laughed at him all day, the poor mistreated boy.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91617181920 LastLast