Sewing Challenge 2014 - Page 2
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would like to join. I sew off and on and would like to sew more.

I mostly do clothing embellishments and alterations. I also do small projects.

I picked up a serger a few years back and I hardly use it. Also it takes up 4 spools of thread.

I have a craft room. It is also a computer room, a cat room and home to a large bookcase.
    It is reasonably neat if you do not open the closet door.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I only have to change one thread to switch colors on my serger. The only one that shows in the seam is the one that ends up farthest from the edges of the fabric. The rest of them don't show.

I didn't use mine much for years because the thread broke all the time, but then I was introduced to those little thread nets. They work wonders.

If you think a residential serger is fun to thread, you should try my industrial! It's a weird little beast, and when I got it did not come with a book or any thread, so it was all trial and error. The thread goes right through the machine in a few places, and it can be interesting to get the thread through at all. I'll never unthread that thing again because it was too difficult to get it threaded in the first place.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I guess the difference on whether you'll use the serger or not is will you know how to use it? Where I got mine they offered a series of 3 classes on getting to know your serger. They taught how to use it, how to adjust it to do different things. I hemmed first communion dresses a couple years ago in literally minutes last year using a rolled hem on the serger. It can do alot, but you need to know how. Messing with it for hours, just to get it set up is for sure going to be a lesson in frustration resulting in minimal use of it.

I am so lucky that the store I deal with gives the lessons free of charge. if after having the class you still struggle, you can bring it in for a private session with their staff. It's an indispensable offering by the owners. Very good marketing. I refer people all the time

If you can find a dealer that is willing to sit down with you and show you how to use it and play with it before buying, then you'll be better able to come to a decision.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husby dragged in the torn seat cover from the van today, so I plan to get at that real soon. The seat part is beyond patching, so I'm just going to replace it with some tan canvas. It won't match but it'll coordinate and it'll wear forever, too. If I don't get a cover on it, then the upholstery on the seat itself will be trashed. I don't know how he manages to wear out seat covers so badly. Protecting the seat is more important than having everything all matchy-matchy.

This will give me a chance to use my new fabric rack, since the tan canvas is on it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am off to work on my new purse Hope it goes together slick like

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would like to get some sewing done this year. I have a 1963 travel trailer and I'll be doing a lot of work on her the next few months. I plan on making curtains and recovering the bench seats. It has cushions for a bed but I haven't decided on keeping it that way or just putting in a mattress. I have an outing planned in May so hope to have most of it done by then.
    Terry

Jan grocery 129.57/275.00
    Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Getting there! The outer shell to my purse is done!!! Yay!!!
    Attachment 30425

It was suppose to have thick piping around the sides and bottom, but the sewing machine I currently have just isn't strong enough. It's cute without it. Can't wait to use it! I hope to finish it tomorrow. I LOVE the fabric.

Feels good to be creating again

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That purse is darling - can see why you are excited about it! Mahalo for the picture!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in. I have been collecting tartan skirts( 2 or 3 drawers full) and would like to make a quilt for both my boys. Will have to start doing that. Haven't sewn in years but would like to start doing it again. Thank you for the challenge--will get me up and going.
    Love your sewing room Spirit Deer!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The link doesn't work for me!

I'm going to sort all the stuff on the industrial serger today, for starters.

I've also decided I need a catch-all basket. Stuff gets put into the sewing room, stuff I've just bought and not put away yet, mending, patterns I've been using elsewhere, etc. It all ends up churned into the general mess. It occurred to me this morning it would make a lot more sense to have a designated place to put those kinds of things. Then they'll all be corralled, and when the basket is getting full, that will be the cue that it's time to deal with whatever is in there. Then maybe mending and clutter won't pile up as much. It's worth a try anyway. The industrial serger sits right inside the door of the sewing room, so that seems like the obvious place to put the basket and I already have a basket I was using for something else, so I'm all set.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here Spiritdeer, trying again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is pretty! I love the colors.

Making some progress in the sewing room. The serger is cleared off now. I'm looking for some stuff I wish I could find, but at least the sorting is going okay. I'm starting to think my good Gingher scissors my mom bought me got thrown away by accident. I've been looking for those for several years now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cute purse M4E!!!! The first link didn't work for me either so I was glad SD said it didn't work for her either. I thought I was doing something wrong.

Congrats on the progress SD but sorry to hear about the scissors.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

love the purse, the material is wonderful...nice work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

thanks for all the posts on sergers. i want to recycle wool sweaters to make katwise type sweater coats. i love them and could never afford to buy one. if you have never seen one...just seach katwise on etsy. if you have experience in this type sewing on serger let me know, still can't decide. many thanks

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast