Sewing Challenge 2014 - Page 3
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A serger would handle the sweaters wonderfully. I used to make diaper covers with felted sweaters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you don't sew anything else though, be aware there would be a learning curve. Sewing is a skill you have to learn like any other, and I'm not sure how well it would go if you're a rank beginner. Could you pick up a cheap sweater at GW and try sewing it on a serger? Ask for a demo at a place that sells sergers, and take your sweater, already cut in pieces both lengthwise and crosswise, and give it a try yourself to see if you think you could handle it. Those coats don't look like beginner projects.

If you don't want to buy a serger, what about doing the stitching by hand using a blanket stitch? It would be more work but less investment, and would make a nice unique finish to the seams. Here's a picture of a capote (rhymes with 'afloat') using blanket stitching. These are made from woven wool blankets. I don't know how it would work with sweater knits, but you could play around with a GW sweater and see how you liked the results.

Nothing sewed today here, but progress on the organizing front, so I'll take it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Didn't know all that SD, thanks! Is that you in the picture?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would love to join this . Can't guarantee that I will post a lot though. I just did a quick receiving blanket yesterday for my DD's sister in law. And washed some flannel for some pj bottoms for my other DD. We will see what actually gets odne at my house.

I love the Hudson Bay Company blanket in your capote. just a classic!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nope, not me, not my coat. It's just a pic I grabbed from a website because it was fairly easy to see the blanket stitching.

Capotes go back to the fur trade era in the US and Canada, two hundred years ago. My mom has a Hudson's Bay point blanket like the one above I'd love to get my hands on and make a capote from it. They're very expensive, first to buy the blanket, and then to buy a handmade capote made from the blanket. I have a pattern for making them, but haven't done it yet. Here's some more info and history in case anyone is interested. Since that's part of the history of the area where we live, I find it interesting. Hudson's Bay point blanket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok, I'm in. Will start this week. I am wanting to take a shirt and make it into a dress! That will be my goal. I will post before and after pics.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It looks like the blankets are felted wool. Felted fabric is easier to work with than knitted fabric because you do not have to worry about it unraveling. With felted fabric any type of stiching, including a very wide blanket stick will work.

This can be done for other types of fabric that does not unravel like fleece, flannel, leather and fake leather. Sometimes you can find scarfs or shawls at the thrift store that are felted.

Are you planning to felt the sweaters first or are you using them as is? If you felt it has to be sweaters that are all wool so that limits what you can use.

Does your sewing machine do a zig zag stich? I have worked with knit materials (like t-shirts and socks) on my maching using a zig zag stich and not had problems with them unraveling. If your machine is adjustable I would recommend a short (stiches closer together) zig zag stich.

You have to be careful sewing with knit fabric. It can stretch while you are sewing it which makes a ruffled edge. this and be a nice effect if you want it. Try cutting the edges of t-shirt sleeves and stretch the fabric as you zig zag around the rough edge. Now you have a fancier ruffled edge on your sleeves.

I recommend practicing sewing the scraps before you do a big project. Make something smaller as a first project. You could do a simple scarf to practice. If it turns out it will match your coat.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VanVivCam View Post
    Ok, I'm in. Will start this week. I am wanting to take a shirt and make it into a dress! That will be my goal. I will post before and after pics.
    That sounds like fun. What kind of shirt are you using? Is this a t-shirt or dress shirt?

I have seen a tutorial before called make a dress from your husband's dress shirt. They kind of assume your husband is big and you are small. Otherwise it does not really work. I suppose I could get a thrift store shirt from a large guy...making myself into a small woman is a bit more challanging though.
    KathyB

Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to start sewing again too! Since I moved to Iowa 2.5 months ago I finished 2 quilt tops. I still need to sandwich, quilt and bind them. Over the weekend I was sewing 1.5" squares of scrap fabric together into ugly 6" blocks. I keep telling myself "it's a scrap quilt. No pattern/design needed. Just grab 2 pieces of fabric and sew!" That's so hard for me to do but I'm getting better at it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I managed to get my DD's pj bottoms finished ( minus elastic- just fount the elastic and it is cut. 5 minutes to finish it) That will be a tomorrow project.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had to take a break this week. I was finishing my purse and it's hand stitching lining to the zipper, and my fingers were really tender. Thimble doesn't really work it's the pulling that was doing it. I thought about starting another project, but I really don't like the machine mom loaned me and the new one wasn't here yet.

Well it came last night! And i returned it...lol. Nothing wrong with it, just dh and I decided that since the local sewing shop started carrying some Huqvarna's mechanical machines, as opposed to electronic, the price was right. These machines are in lots of alteration and upholstery shops as they are little work horses, last with really nothing to go wrong, there is no computer. Plus I can get service locally as there is an authorized dealer, which I have dealt with for the last 16 years or 17 years. I feel good about it. MSRP was$549, store was selling it for $399, but it was on sale for $229 due to big open house.

The only feature I'm going to miss from my old machine is the needle up feature. It was always reset to go. I need to do that manually, no big deal, just need to get used to it. I can live with out that.

So.. I really need to get on finishing my purse today, and if I am up to it I'm going to work on my pattern for the skirt. I don't have the dark denim, but I have an embroidered lighter denim that I have had for years. I think it's a good trial run. Its very pretty. I would forgo the button detail for that. Then it will be 2 very different skirts, as I really want to have that skirt in dark denim.

Last night, ds19 gave me money to replace the Christmas gift, I am heading to the sewing store to get a new cutting mat. Mine got destroyed years ago, and it now unusable. I will compare at the fabric store as sometimes they have better sales, and then at the sewing store. If I have to go back to the fabric store, no big deal(it's by home) I just want the best deal.

I also need to work on the pattern for dd16 skirt with her. Her fashions class has been altering after it's made. But it makes way more sense to alter on paper FIRST. Get it to be relatively close.

So excited. Well, I'm off to go get dd10 started on sewing lessons..lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good choice on the Viking. I'm sure it'll last you many years. It sounds like you hit a good sale, too.

Still no sewing being done here. Still sorting and purging the sewing room. I do have to repair a hole I managed to make in my new crochet project bag so I can move into it. I hate when I cut what I don't want to cut.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I know what you mean!!! I have done it more than once.

I was leery about the brother machine, I feel much better about the husqvarna. Dd10 worked on it for awhile this morning. She needs to get used to the foot pedal. The last machine had the no pedal option and speed control. But I told her it is what it is. This was the budget, and it's what we got. Plus she'll be better off when it comes time to use a serger, there is no speed control.

Still looking for a cutting mat. No real good deals on them. My mom got a huge one for $80 through her local store in the small town. I might just see if she can order one for me. 24x36 is too small for me. I don't like shifting things a bunch and resmoothing it. The clip together ones are huge money so we'll see what I can work out. One more call to make.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you looked at Amazon? Or maybe Joann's online when there's a good coupon. I know they're expensive. I'll make you sick and tell you I paid $3 for mine. It's about the size of a card table, maybe not as big as you're looking for. I got it at a rummage sale on the last day and they had a ton of quilting stuff, all cheap and all half price besides. I bought A LOT! Probably all I'll ever need since I'm not into quilting that much. Which is why I was willing to buy the quilting stuff, because I'd never buy it all at full price.

My Viking machines have a variable speed foot control. If I put my foot on the outside edge, the machine runs slower than if I have my foot in the middle. Maybe yours is the same way. It's a nice feature once you get used to it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Which machines do you have? I don't know that this one has any variation other than up and down.. Will need to check it out

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast