Sewing Challenge 2014 - Page 5
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm late to the party! Just wandered into this forum from the main page because I saw the word "sewing". I am retiring in the next couple of months and will have more time to sew. I seriously cannot wait. My friend and I do craft nights two nights a week but once I retire I plan to do more. I have so many projects I need to finish and more I need to start as well. We are building a new house and I need to make curtains and have a quilt started for my bed.

Once we get moved and I get my craft room together I'll be around here more often. Until then happy sewing!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome! It sounds like you have a lot of projects to work on, too.

I've been crafting more than sewing lately. Still working on a tatted doily, my first large tatting project, but I'm closing in on the end of that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You are so right, I've got a lot of projects in mind either that I want to make or that I've started and have yet to finish due to time constraints. I have never tatted but my grandmother did and we have some gorgeous doilies she created. It's a beautiful art.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never known anyone who tatted. I tried years ago to learn by myself, back about forty years ago. But I was trying to use a shuttle and that was just confusing trying to learn it from diagrams in how-to books. A couple years ago I discovered needle tatting and am just now finding time to play around with that more.

I was thinking I need a to-do list just for sewing. Maybe it would help me be more organized and productive.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am slowly getting my supplies together for my big sew week during Feb. vacation. Started packing a box to take with me. Hard to decide what to work on when there is so-o many things I need to work on.
    Hikr00--jealous of you retiring. Happy planning and getting your sewing room together.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spirit Deer I didn't know you could tat without a shuttle. I think my grandmother used a shuttle. Maybe that's something I should put on my list of things to try once I retire. I know next to nothing about the process though. Is it similar to something like knitting or crocheting? I have a tough time with those because I'm left handed and the women that could teach me are all right handed. I learned to knit by standing in front of the bathroom mirror with my grandmother. She did the stitches and I followed what she did by looking in the mirror. Somehow it worked. I haven't knitted in years though. Sewing sort of came next and I focused on that when DD was growing up with making her clothes etc. Our library has a knitting circle that meets one day a week which I want to check out once I retire.

l8eebug tell me more about your big sew week! You mention packing a box to take...are you going to a convention or something along that line? Wouldn't that be cool?? What have you decided to work on? At craft night on Tuesday I finished the baby doll carrier I made for my granddaughter. I want to whip up a mini quilt to throw in there too to go with the mattress and pillow then I will give that to her. She's 2 1/2 and adores her baby dolls.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tatting is not really similar to knitting or crocheting. It's more like macrame, since it's basically a series of knots formed into rings and chains that in turn form the various designs. I think of it as mini-macrame. Since it's knotted, the work does not pull out like knitted or crocheted work does, so it can be a pain if you make a mistake. Here's a YouTube showing an intro to left handed needle tatting, just to give you an idea what's involved. Left Handed Needle Tatting - YouTube There are lots of other YouTubes and also other sites that show needle tatting. I've found if I don't 'get' something watching one, another one often presents the info in a slightly different way that clicks better for me. I really like tatting, now that I'm getting the hang of it. I bought my set of needles on Amazon a couple years ago for around $11/set. I already had crochet thread, and picked up some tatting thread plus a Lacis wrist thread holder on eBay cheap a couple years ago. A few weeks ago I bought a pile of books on eBay, and I've picked up some more supplies at garage sales and thrift stores, too. All told, I have under $100 in this hobby not counting the thread I had in the crochet stash, and enough supplies to last me for years. It's an inexpensive hobby.

This is not my picture or my work, but here's an example of tatting. The look is distinctly different than either knitting or crocheting. I'm not sure how the center (purple) part of this is done, but the white outer part is all made using just two stitches.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gorgeous! Thanks for the you tube tip as a teacher. I never thought of you tube being useful for something like that but it just came in handy. I had pulled out the fabric to make my granddaughter's mini doll quilt to go with the little doll carrier I made and I wanted to use my niece's Accu-Quilt gizmo. I've had it stored here for her for ages. I couldn't remember how it worked and she's at work today so I can't her so I tried your you tube trick. Lo and behold there's a video for that and I got the squares cut for the mini quilt! Very cool.

I have never actually seen anyone tat so I wasn't sure how it worked. As I said my grandmother did and we have a bunch of doilies and some crocheted pillow case edges she did but I've never seen it being performed. My Mom had said she used a shuttle but I don't remember seeing one in her belongings after she passed away. My Mom passed away three years ago and I never saw one in her belongings afterwards either. Can you believe I've never done macrame either?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

YouTube is a fantastic resource for learning most anything. Also, a lot of companies put up videos there, so you can often find how-to's for specific products which can be handy. We also using it sometimes for trip planning because often people have posted videos of towns, attractions, or campsites at the places we're interested in going. Before we bought our Aliner camper, I spent a lot of time there watching videos because I just could not believe A frame campers can be set up in less than one minute. (They can.) It was fascinating to see how they operated. I've found a lot of info on there for home improvement, gardening, crafts, food dehydrating, pasta making, etc, etc. And lots of videos that are just purely entertaining too, so approach it with caution because it can be a huge time-suck without even trying!

I have a couple tatting shuttles and just donated one I should have kept. I'm not sure how interested I am in shuttle tatting since I can do anything in a shuttle pattern with a needle which IMO is way easier, but since I have the shuttles, I might give it a try again sometime. I almost made a little flower way back when using a shuttle, but never quite finished it. I found it lately when I was decluttering my sewing room. Seeing how poor the thread was and knowing I had only some bad diagrams in a how-to book from the seventies, I'm amazed I got that far. I'm sure I could do much better now for a variety of reasons.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh boy..you're right about the time suck. I was intrigued by your mention of the setting up an Aliner camper in a minute so I had to go find that. LOL!! Oh yeah, now that thing is COOL!! We love to camp and have a pop up camper but DH's health isn't the greatest so we haven't camped in a while. It's too hard for me to put up our camper by myself but I'm thinking an Aliner I could manage myself. Food for thought!

Right now though we have to finish building our "geezer house" (as we are calling it because we've modified it to be handicapped friendly should things go downhill more for DH) and once that is done and off our plate we can think about camping again

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I set up ours myself, easily, especially since we installed a high wind/push pole kit last year. Ours is the Expedition which is Aliner's largest one and therefore has the biggest roof panels, so the smaller ones would be even easier. We had two canvas pop ups before, and bought the Aliner because we do so many trips with lots of overnight stops and while we didn't mind the set up with the canvas pop ups, we knew we wanted something requiring less time and effort. We love our Aliner. It's exceeded our expectations.

Here's our current rig at Yellowstone last September.

And to get this train back up on the rails since we've strayed so far off the sewing track, I'll mention I have four cushion covers left to sew for the camper, along with some other sewing projects for it. I made cushion covers for the back couch/bed from our very first tent, a canvas jobby from the 1960's, but have to do the ones for the front dinette/bed yet. I want to get them done so I can declutter the canvas from out of my sewing room. Here's the couch with the canvas covers. I like how they turned out, so I'll be happy to get the rest of them done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is quite a rig. I really like it. Will have to keep that in mind for the future once we get the house all done and moved in etc. And off topic again but what a beautiful dog!!

The cushions look great. Did you use a pattern or just kind of form them to fit the cushions? I was debating making some covers for my chair cushions in the living room. We were gifted a couch and loveseat when my MIL got her new set but the easy chair we have in there does not coordinate at all and I'd love to find some fabric to cover the cushions with but I'm a little intimidated by the idea as I have no pattern.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Like your camper and beautiful dog Deer Spirit.
    hikr00- I take my girls (adults now) on a trip every Feb. It is our "girl's trip" we go to a state park about 4 hours from our home and stay in a nice cabin. We have prepacked all our linens, household supplies, etc. for the week. I take my sewing...I sew and sew to my heart's content that week. I often will sew from when the sun comes up to long after it is down. We leave this Saturday for our trip so I am packing up my sewing supplies..deciding what I want to work on. I believe this trip will be a rag quilt for DS2 for his birthday in July and maybe finished two other quilt tops I have been working on. That would be a big sew if I finished all three. This year only DD1 is going with me as DD2 just had that precious baby. Feb. trip is my big sewing event of the year. I am thinking about "sneaking" another one in for April. Bf has to take care of animals and doesn't have the time off I do. Do you think 2 sewing trips is selfish? MMMMM???? BTW, it very cheap to rent the cabin and we cook most all our meals there, except when traveling back and forth.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh l8eebugg that sounds fabulous!! I should do that. DD would love a get away. She's got a 2 1/2 year old though and one on the way so we might have to wait a bit till things settle down but that would be so much fun. I'd do two trips in a heartbeat. LOL!! I would totally do the same thing you are doing with renting an inexpensive cabin and cooking your meals etc. That saves a ton of money right there.

I have a dear friend who loves to sew and craft as I do and we meet two nights a week for crafting. Sometimes we work on duplicate projects (like at Christmas we find a project we both want to give as gifts) and other times we do our own things but it's so nice to have that dedicated time to just sit and work on stuff. I get more done in three hours with her than I do in a day at my own house because there's no interruptions.

I talked with my boss on Friday about my resignation to retire. He said he completely understood and would work on finding a replacement for me. He was kind enough to say I'd be hard to replace so that was nice to hear. But it didn't make me want to continue working!! I told him ideally I want to be done by the end of the month although if he hasn't found anyone yet I won't abandon him. But the end of the month can't come fast enough for me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Couch cushions are extremely easy and quick to slipcover just working off measurements. I'm assuming the cushions are just rectangular foam like the ones in my camper. Others might be more involved. There are a couple of ways to do it depending on your skills and the look you want and of course the shape of what you're trying to cover.

You can find out more about Aliners by visiting Aliner - The original A-frame pop up camper. If you have specific questions about our camper, feel free to PM me so as not to hijack this thread any further.

L8dee, your trip sounds like so much fun. I hope you get lots done and have a great time with your daughter. I think you should book for April right now, too.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast