Sewing Challenge 2014
Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Sewing Challenge 2014

I have decided my goal this year is to sew something E.V.E.R.Y...W.E.E.K.

I LOVE to sew, but I haven't made time in several years. I am actually hoping to be able to make most of my wardrobe over the course of this year. But not necessarily a garment a week being made. Right now, I have a purse cut out. It's been cut out for probably 3 years (?). And you know what? I still love the pattern and the fabric.

Part of why I haven't made my garments, is my style. I feel a little self conscious about it. And now I decided, that who cares! I am past that. I am 40. I love what I love. I like vibrant, and a little retro styled. So I am going to go for it!

I am hoping to have several dresses for the summer. I can never buy a dress, as it never fits well. But I know how to alter a pattern to fit. You do most of the alterations on paper, before even cutting the fabric. So this is my goal. I would love to have many pretty dresses for the summer. I don't care that I am not the 'ideal' body for it. I intend to enjoy. I am also making skin toned short leggins for underneath, so I can do a white dress and not worry about it. That way I don't fret about the wind, something catching. I have enough fabric already for 2 or 3 pairs.

I am also working at wearing something other than jeans. Again, pants can be a difficult fit, with a curvy shape. Even the curvy styles don't fit at the waist. Altering is $20/pair. I haven't discovered how to alter myself.

I also want to upcycle thrift store finds. There are times I find items with the most beautiful fabric that just won't fit. I plan to remake a couple. It might be into a purse, or something different, but still, sometimes the fabric just speaks to me.

This week I plan on making the purse that is cut out, and next week it's the hanging towels my mom wants.

OH, and dh agreed that we can get a sewing machine. I am currently borrowing one from my mom, that is not great. Mine died last spring but we were on debt repayment mode, which is why I borrowed one. My dd16 sews as well so we need something here, she is taking it at school. So in a few days I should have a new one. I opted to get a mechanical rather than computerized. So it was pretty inexpensive. And I should have it by end of the week or early next week. I am very excited.

So... Plans for January

1 - purse
    2 - hanging towels
    3 - face cloths for dd10.
    4 - blouse
    5 - re-inventory fabric to see what I can make from what I have.

Anyone care to join me?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats on the new machine! Always fun to get new tools.

Count me very much in!

I have a lot of UFOs to work through and a lot of sewing to do overall. At least, as soon as I can get my sewing room so it's usable again, which I'm hoping will be today. I'm still struggling through the added furniture and other stuff we moved into my sewing room from my mom's house last spring, plus the mess I had in there before. Lots of sorting yet to do, but for now my focus is just to get all but one machine so I can use them. I'm using one of them to pile stuff on for the time being, until I get down to actually sorting and purging things.

I have a long list of little projects and repairs that need to be done, so I'll be posting about those as I go.

I'll post a list of goals later once I figure it out. A lot of the projects are small and simple, just utilitarian stuff, so wouldn't take long.

Thanks for the challenge! Just what I needed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, I'm almost ready. I shuffled and boxed up everything so it's off my sewing tables now, except for one. So I can get at most of my machines now, which means I can start sewing again. Here's the proof!

I'm in the process of doing a major purge/reorganization in that room, so it doesn't look as good as it should. That's another goal for 2014, getting that whole room whipped into shape. But at least now I can sew for the first time in quite a few months.

The little pile of stuff on the machine on the left is a few little things I need to work on, so that's where I'll start for this challenge. One of the seat covers I made for the van seats a few years ago needs repair, so that can be done now. There are at least three shirts I need to finish for my husband. Actually I think it's five, but I can't remember for sure, it's been that long. And there's the screen door I was making for the trailer last summer but didn't quite get done before we left on our last vacation. I probably won't get at that till next spring now, since it will involve lots of running outside and back and folding down the trailer A wall and other things I don't want to do in snow and cold. But at least I remember it's there now. It's a start, with lots more to go.

I also have a bin full of doll clothes cut out that need to be sewed in hopes I can sell them next summer at the local farmers market.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am with you on the sewing everyday. I have so many projects started and not finished and things that I would like to make. I am going to spend tonight and tomorrow cleaning and organizing my craft spot and then I will make plans on what I want to accomplish.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am so in! Either I use my fabric this year or out it goes. My sewing/craft room was used as an emergency storage room all this year and it is a mess. First project related to sewing- clean out and organize sewing room. Timeframe- January!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Does it look anything like this mess?

I have a lot to do, too. There is an industrial serger under there somewhere, and I'd like to be able to use it again someday. But I have not yet begun to purge, so I'm hoping I can make some fast progress once I do get started.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'll be sewing, not every day but regularly. I have quilts and other projects to finish and I'm sure new stuff will come along.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So glad to have people join me!!

I was going to sew this afternoon, but I have 4 teens at the table and an interview shortly... this evening...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm looking forward to the challenge, M4E. It will be fun to see what we all get done over this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am hoping to get to the sewing shop tonight, maybe I will get dh to stop for me. It is only open til 6. I gave my drafting paper to dd16 last year at school and some one swiped it. We need to draft her dress to her proportions, and I need it for me.

I bought the machine this morning... put it on visa...eek. Well, low and behold I get $750 today, so I transferred the money for the machine back onto visa. I think they are starting to hate me. I haven't paid interest in forever..lol..can't wait to get tracking information! I want the machine.

Teens are downstairs now, think I'll get my piping covered. And then tonight start assembling it. Feeling so [email protected]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We never pay interest either, but I'm sure they keep hoping! We charged my new machine last February and paid it off right away, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

spirit deer...holy moley...you sure made fast work of cleaning up. wow you have lots of machines!! i'm jealous, i really want a serger to try to make sweater coats but am afraid i will not be successful and have wasted my money. has anyone in frugal village made them?? is a serger worth the money if i don't sew clothes?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't really started to clean yet in the sewing room. Stuff is just shoved in boxes and nothing is sorted, purged, or organized. I just had to clear the machines off so I can start sewing again. I can't wait till I get it all the way I want it. It's so out of control it's making me crazy. That's why this should be a good challenge for me.

I have seven sewing machines. Two are industrials, one is an antique parlor style treadle sewing machine, one is a cheapo Brother embroidery machine, and the rest are residential machines including a new Viking, an old Viking, and a serger. They all serve different purposes.

I got all the closet rod brackets installed now, and added two rods so two more rolls of fabric are up on the rack. I have only one goal for today, getting the rods cut down so I can finally finish up the remodel of that rack, which I started last winter. That will get most of the fabric rolls up off the floor and out of my way, which should help a lot.

I don't use my sergers a lot, although I've started using the residential one a lot more the past couple years. It does make a nice seam. I haven't made a sweater in years and never on the serger. I recall having problems with getting the fabric to cooperate because it's so stretchy.

I can't really say if a serger would be worth the money to you or not. I don't buy cheap machines because for me it's not worth it. (The Brother was a gift.) I sew so much I'd be replacing cheap machines too often, and cussing them in between replacements. BTDT. So for me it would be a large expense. I don't mind spending the big bucks, but I want to know I'll actually use the tool. Only you can judge how much you'd use it and therefore what its value might be for you. Do you know anyone with a serger who would let you use it for a few hours and try it out? That might help you decide how much you'd like it.

Just as an FYI, I got my residential serger in 1990. I had it in for routine cleaning last year, and I asked the repair person, who also is an owner of the sewing shop where I have all my service done, if it was time to replace the serger. He had a golden opportunity to sell me something new and make a nice profit for himself, but he gave me the good news that my serger was excellent quality and still in great condition, so in his opinion I had no need to replace it. Happy me! That's why I buy good quality tools.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by l8eebugg View Post
    is a serger worth the money if i don't sew clothes?
    Well, you can make other things with it, but the only stitch it does is the serger/overlock. It's ideal for working with stretchy knits and things that fray because you are binding up those edges.

I have a serger because I won a drawing at the Sewing Expo. It's been useful for a few things, stretch velvet, polyester sheers, etc but mostly it's a PITA. I spend an hour tinkering with it everytime I want to use it, just to get the thread feeding right.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a serger, the same one for the last 14 years.. wow. I use it for everything. Like it better than french seams, less bulky. I don't have many issues, but I did get an Elna, so it needs very little tweaking. It is fun to thread..lol. I would like to have a second one, so one could be light thread and the other dark thread. But it doesn't take me long at all.

A serger is like a microwave. It can be a great tool but it won't take the place of the stove and oven. You will still need a basic sewing machine.

I use it for pretty much everything. My mom uses hers even for quilting, but that takes a learning curve. Even my fine fabrics, I will serge each fabric piece, press it then assemble with the sewing machine. It keeps things from fraying.

Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast