Sewing for Beginners - Q&A - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by homesteadmamma
    Dee, thank you. I am going to pick one of those up next time I'm in the sewing store.

Sara, if you get extra bobbins for your machine, sometimes you can get generic which are cheaper. BUT make sure they will fit in a Husqvarna machine. Some will say they fit in all machines, but they don't. With my machine, you can only get Husqvarna bobbins.
    I saw these...think these will work?
    http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...6&PRODID=47304

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dee,
    Also I didn't add a seam ripper to the shopping cart because the one I bought a couple of weeks ago is the one you linked to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sara, I checked those. Do you have steel bobbins in your machine right now? Or are they plastic?

I would phone where you got your machine from and ask them. They should be able to tell you before you purchase something that won't work. I know that I can't use those in my machine and the bobbins in my machine HAVE to be Husqvarna.

You want to make sure you don't screw up your warranty or hurt your machine in any way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mine are currently plastic. I think I'll get them where Gabe bought the machine. Thank you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Everything looks good on your list. Yes that pencil does come in yellow which is fine. I think they also come in blue, purple and white for dark fabrics. You have the tailor's chalk twice, did you mean for the last item some tracing paper? JoAnn's has a set where you get them together http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...reground=green

Here are some hand sewing needles http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...reground=green Has all sizes and a threader!

As for a pin cushion, a tomato works great. Most people think the little 'bud' that hangs off it is for decoration, not so, it is a needle sharpener. You poke the end of your needle in it a few times and it sharpens it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thank you. The chalk wheel comes in white and then I added a blue replacement, so if you clicked it might have just shown the picture of the wheel again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have some thread for my machine. (gutermanns 100% cotton) I picked up some Dual Duty Plus by Coats just to have. It says it's for machine quilting and crafts, but I don't plan to use it on my machine.

I'll just use it for hand sewing. (as if I do this often roflmao) It's a polyester/cotton blend.

I had "issues" choosing thread. rofl There are so many different types.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Coats all purpose thread is good for home dec items and garments.

You didn't have tracing paper in your list, you do need that with the tracing wheel though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I added that paper and wheel kit you linked to in my shopping cart and dropped the tracing wheel I had initially added.

I need to spend about 5$ to get free shipping...any suggestions? lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by homesteadmamma
    Soft tape Sara, they work better. Also, the bobbins, even though you got a couple extra with your machine, its always better to purchase more. At least half a dozen.

And seam rippers, you want more than one. Honest, because your always losing them for some reason.
    I checked my accessories pouch that came with the machine and I have 6.

Problem is that Zachary opened it and I wouldn't even know if something was missing from that pouch. lol

Registered User duckduckgoose007's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Deed,
    If you have not yet given this tip to the new sewers, please let them know. I can't be the only one that did not pay attention to this fact! You know the Bobbin one----Insert Clock-wise...NOT Counter Clock-wise. I am HOPING I am not the only DUMMY out there!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Liz, good tip. I use to do it wrong as well, but with my new sewing machine, you can only load it one way and you can only put it back one way. There is a little thingy on top to show you. Guess too many people were doing it the wrong way, so your not alone.

Sara, I had 6 bobbins with my machine too, so I think you probably are safe that Zachary didn't lose any.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can get some fray check http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...reground=green on bottle will last years.

The sewing guage if you don't have it already. http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...reground=green

If you plan on making covers for you appliances in the kitchen, pot holders and placemats, a bias tape maker will come in real handy. You can make your bias tape to match what you are making instead of buying it packaged that costs a fortune! I would get the 1" one (it's blue in the picture) http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...reground=green

If you plan on quilting, these pins will come in handy. http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...reground=green

Any of these will help you once you get going.

My Mom is right about putting your bobbin in the bobbin case right, but this is just for older machines, the new ones either have only one way to go in like CJ said or are self winding right in the bobbin case. Check your manual, it should tell you what the correct way to insert the bobbin into the bobbin case.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Metal seam guages are great if you need to iron a particular depth on a cut bit of fabric. You can lay the guage on the fabric, slide the slide to the right depth, then pull the right amount of fabric OVER the guage and iron right onto the fabric as it is "wrapped" on top of the gauge.

Slide along as you go and you have a perfect 1/2" ironed hem or whatever it was that you needed.

the heat of the iron won't bother it a bit, and the bits where you used the guage, about every 4 to 6 inches or so, keep you on track with the depth of the hem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a bobbin holder, that looks like an upside down m. It holds a bunch of pre wound bobbins in the basic colours, and an assortment of project colours. It keeps the threads from unwinding and tangling.

http://www.nancysnotions.com/Nancys/...BAD6B01D9CEC60

It's called a bobbin clip, and here hopefully is a picture of it from Nancy's notions.

It is sort of springy, and it clips onto the bobbins, holding them securely so they don't unwind.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast