Sewing for Beginners - Q&A - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Registered User duckduckgoose007's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Manual...Manual? What is that??? Oh, you mean directions...who likes to read those?...I like Pictures!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That bobbin clip is a good thing. I'm big on organization and am already looking into ways to organize all this "stuff". Right now it's all in my linen closet.

Thank you everyone for your help.

**edited to add** I started to read my machine manual and started going into a fog.

I need a class just on parts of my machine. When I say I don't have a clue...I sincerely mean that I am lucky I know what thread and a needle are. I know what a bobbin is. rofl I know how to plug in the machine.

I look at the little parts in my accessory pouch and think hmmm wonder where that little thingamajig goes.

Looking at the parts of the machine reminds me of health class anatomy. rofl Ohhhhh, so that's where the thread goes.

::sings... the balance wheel is connected to the side of the machine...the presser foot is next to the throat plate... ::

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Fray check is wonderful stuff. I use it all the time when doing applique quilting. I wouldn't be without it.

Sara, it really isn't that hard, honest. Once you can get to the store and see them do it, you'll have it down pat in no time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sara

You have a lovely singing voice though!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dee, how does a bias tape maker work?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ah Chelle, looks like a tutorial is due!

I have tomorrow off so I'll do one just for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi Dee (and everyone else)!

I am curious. I want to begin sewing and now that I'm going to be working at Wal Mart full time, (with an employee discount! ) I am curious as to what would be the best sewing machine for me. I'm a beginner, did a bit of sewing in high school Home Ec. class, on an ancient machine. Can you suggest any sewing machine that I could look for, that would be good for a beginner? I don't think I'd be doing anything too fancy -- just some basic stitching. Hopefully make some skirts and put together quilt pieces, etc. I'd like something that's going to last me for a while, so that I won't have to go out and buy a new machine every time I get a bit better at sewing.

Bright Blessings!
    Rawiya

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd suggest looking at a good quality machine that has been reconditioned by a shop willing to give a garantee AND lessons on your new to you machine.

I love my Pfaff and one of the best things I ever did was take some lessons on that machine (not how to sew, but how to take advantage of all the buttons bells and whistles it comes with).

You'll never regret it.

However a cheap machine that refuses to backstitch some of the time, jams thread, eats fabric down the plate, and can't do an automatic buttonhole to save it's life is NOT worth any "savings".

I'd recommend a Pfaff, Bernina, Husqvarna, or Janome, but new they are way expensive.

Get a pre owned machine that some rich lady traded in for a new one with even more bells and whistles.

Just like cars, pre owned can be a wonderful bargain.

I have a strong personal prejudice against Singer and Elna. I've had some VERY bad experiences with those makes before my Pfaff and I've had friends who gave up on sewing due to owning machines of those makes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My suggestion - don't go cheap if you can help it. A sewing machine is a lifetime investment. If you can, spend as much as you can on a sewing machine, especially if your going to be sewing and quilting both. You won't ever regret it.

Like Margery said, having a machine that doesn't work properly will turn you off faster than anything when it comes to quilting or sewing.

I started with a Husqvarna and every couple years invested in a more expensive one and top of the line. Our dd has a Husqvarna Husky Star207 (she is 14) and she uses it for quilting and although she isn't into making clothes yet, it would do well for that. It was given a very good rating by Consumers.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

One piece of advice, be careful with the "no name" brand sewing machines. Before you invest in any type of "no name", make sure they have a good reputation and you can get a good warranty and if it needs to be serviced, it can be serviced where you live with no trouble.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What ever you do, do not buy a NECCHI sewing machine. Although it is a good sewing machine and "expensive" they do not make and will not make a "quilting walking foot" for it and the shaft if made so that you can't use a generic walking foot for it.

I have MIL's sewing machines which I bought from the estate and now that I'm wanting to machine quilt I can't do it. She was more into making clothes and lingerie.

I'm so disapointed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default which machine do you recommend?

I'm having trouble with my 10 yo Kenmore machine. The thread keeps bunching up. I don't know if it's fixable or I should look for a new one. Does anyone know how to fix such a problem? What machine brand do you use/recommend. Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Where do I start? I have made a jacket (no lining) and some pillows years ago.
    As a part of the club, do I pick a project and ask for help somewhere, being a novice, and if possible show my finished project?

Basically what are the rules. Thanks for any help. I'm very excited to begin!
    I would like to make curtains, if that matters?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No rules happymommy, go ahead and start a project, if you need help, just holler.

And we love seeing pics!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

psjkmom, I'm very sorry I am just seeing this post, more than a tad late.

If you still need help, just holler and I will do what I can. A Kenmore is a good machine and just sounds like it needs a cleaning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SewCrafty, Thank you. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast