Sewing for Beginners - Q&A - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Does anyone know where I might get a decent sewing machine cheap?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here is a basic machine by Brother. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3609917 Watch for sales if you aren't in a rush for one, I have seen them as low as $87.

I have 2 machines and 1 serger by Brother and they all work great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

help! pinosh and computer illiterate person here! So Im probably replying to the wrong thing, got second hand sewing machine very excited about new hobby, oh what a let down! Cant work the bloomin thing - thread it, sew, snap, rethread, sew snap, dreams of home made cushions and other exciting projects fading, tried fiddling with the tension thingy - no instructions - anybody know the answer to my problem - i know its not the biggest problem in the world - but hey - thanks anybody - anybody?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by howhardcanitbe View Post
    help! pinosh and computer illiterate person here! So Im probably replying to the wrong thing, got second hand sewing machine very excited about new hobby, oh what a let down! Cant work the bloomin thing - thread it, sew, snap, rethread, sew snap, dreams of home made cushions and other exciting projects fading, tried fiddling with the tension thingy - no instructions - anybody know the answer to my problem - i know its not the biggest problem in the world - but hey - thanks anybody - anybody?
    Do you have a manual for it? I know it may not be the cheapest idea around, but it might be advisable to run it to a local sewing machine shop for a tuneup. You can probably get a manual on line for free or little money. With that (the manual) comes tons of knowledge

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post just bought a sewing machine??

My machine came from a Stitching Post here-I have husqvarna-and when a machine is purchased even a used one-mine is- you get free basic sewing classes. Like how your machine works and what it uses....plus a few others I think. If you were given this as an option-take it. I think at my store you can even take these classes multiple times...even a year or so later. It's worth a shot. Even if you have a friend that sews...or a church group...there is always someone who will help-we've all been there and know how it feels.

Also don't forget to know what make and model you have. I learned from the sales people there what kind of bobbins and the number I need for my feet is. It helped a bunch. I'm still learning ,but there is so much.

My fiance and roomate(who is a guy btw and he is making my wedding dress) both sew.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Help! I am trying to make my own cloth diapers. I am trying to make AIO's (all in one's) but I don't know how to do the elastic on the legs. My diaper has a fleece outer layer (the part that is outside the body), a vinyl inner layer, a removable soaker in the middle and then a fleece layer next to the bum. How do I go about putting elastic on the legs?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Are there any good sites to teach different embroidery stitches? Is that a question for needlecrafts?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by tabithapatrick View Post
    Help! I am trying to make my own cloth diapers. I am trying to make AIO's (all in one's) but I don't know how to do the elastic on the legs. My diaper has a fleece outer layer (the part that is outside the body), a vinyl inner layer, a removable soaker in the middle and then a fleece layer next to the bum. How do I go about putting elastic on the legs?
    I've been looking up this info also....and have come across a few sites w pics that may help. I've been thinking of making prefolds and some all in ones and then maybe purchasing a few nice covers(some of those materials for the covers look hard to sew on-I'm still a bit above beginner but I don't sew very often) since you don't need a ton of covers. But you can use prefolds in covers and dep on amount of padding you need use 1 or 2 prefolds. There are a lot of websites and forums where people discuss this topic.

http://diaperfabric.com/very-basic-a...per-tutorials/

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/clothdiapers.htm

http://www.sistersofbreastfeeding.co...id=65&Itemid=1

http://mayna.livejournal.com/198548.html

http://web.archive.org/web/200402041...enting/AIO.htm

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FrugalDonna View Post
    Do you have a manual for it? I know it may not be the cheapest idea around, but it might be advisable to run it to a local sewing machine shop for a tuneup. You can probably get a manual on line for free or little money. With that (the manual) comes tons of knowledge
    Ditto on the tuneup...if it hasn't been used for awhile especially but every yr they are supposed to be oiled and every so often the tension checked out-maybe a belt replaced. With the manual you can learn to do this also. But the first time have it checked by a professional so all the settings are set right and where it needs to be...after that usually only minor adjustments need to be made.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by psjkmom View Post
    I'm having trouble with my 10 yo Kenmore machine. The thread keeps bunching up. I don't know if it's fixable or I should look for a new one. Does anyone know how to fix such a problem? What machine brand do you use/recommend. Thanks for your help.
    I had the same problem with my kenmore. I tried to adjust the tension but the bottom thread would keep bunching or being too loopy.
    I went out and bought a new Singer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MomK View Post
    Are there any good sites to teach different embroidery stitches? Is that a question for needlecrafts?
    I guess embroidery could be considered both sewing and needlecraft. But if you want patterns and such, you should look on needlecraft sites, you will find the most there. Here is a site to get you started.
    http://www.craftown.com/instruction/embroidery.htm

Have FUN!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Does anyone know where I can view free patterns online?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need some help!!!
    I bought a pattern,(it is for pj pants) cut it out, sewed the inside seams, like the instructions told me too, went to sew the crotch area, and the back side of the pjs are bigger than the front. Is this normal??? I was figuring it was, more room for the seat area and extra for sitting and standing, etc. I just want to make sure, before I go ahead and sew the front and back together!!

I double checked the patterns, and the back is larger than the front, I also made sure that I cut the right size on both sides, but I am a little weary of moving forward until I know for sure that this the way it's suppose to be!!!

Thanks for any help!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

okay disregard the previous post I figured out what I did wrong!!! I sewed the wrong pants side together!! DUH??!!! I read and read the pattern, yet still didn't comprehend what it was telling me to do, I sewed the legs wrong, fronts together instead of front and back legs pieces together!!! I figured it out!!

Sometimes the brain works much slower than the hands!! LOL!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by calboydoc View Post
    Does anyone know where I can view free patterns online?
    OPPS.........didn't notice the date.........DUH....must be time to go to bed.

What sort of pattern?

ehow.com has special 'project' type things.

If you google free patterns all sorts of webs come up from applique to quilting to regular sewing.
    Last edited by frugalfranny; 06-12-2009 at 02:28 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast