Sewing for Beginners - Q&A
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lightbulb Sewing for Beginners - Q&A

Please use this thread for any questions you have pertaining to sewing or to the Sewing for Beginners thread. Thanks!

Sewing for Beginners thread:

https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...338#post143338

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I have questions I'll know where to go ! Thanks so much Diana !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You Sweetie DeDe ...........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Your funny Lori!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am bumping this thread, so if you have any questions you would like answered, please post them here.

I am going to borrow Darlene's acronym here.

Are you a PINoSH?

Person In Need of Sewing Help?

Sometimes when you do a craft for so long, you don't realize that maybe someone doesn't understand what bias is and where to use it or how to actually lay out the pattern pieces on your fabric.

Whatever your question is, this is the place to ask it! If I can't answer it, I know there are other sewers in the village that can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep I'm a pinosh but I'm learning thanks to you.I had a ? about grainlines but I found the answer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I want to start buying sewing supplies. I could use some tips on what I should get.

I have nothing, but 8" scissors.

I plan to buy a bit at a time (sales at Joanns) and would appreciate a decent list of basics and anything you would find helpful for a beginner.

Thank you.

I'd like to get a few things before my classes start, so I don't feel pressed to buy them at their store at full price. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1) Scissors
    2) Pins http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...reground=green I like the ones with a colored head, they are much easier to pick up and find in the carpet when you drop them.
    3) Measuring Tape (at least 60" long)
    4) Seam Ripper http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...reground=green
    5) Quilters marking pencil http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...1&PRODID=12122 I have a blue one. Or tailor's chalk
    6) Tracing paper and tracing wheel http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...reground=green Good if you plan on making clothing or home decor items.
    7) Extra machine needles, I recommend getting a package with different sizes in it.
    8) Extra machine bobbins
    9) Hand sewing needles
    10) All purpose thread, I would get at least white, black, beige and light gray. That will pretty much cover anything you make. If it is going to be for a machine hem on red for instance, just pick up a small spool of red thread. A small spool will complete a top or a pair of pants.
    11) Sewing Guage http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...reground=green I wouldn't be without this one. It isn't necessary but I find I use it every time I sew.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dee, I have everything on that list except a sewing guage. What on earth is a sewing guage used for?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have 6 extra needles and get one a needle a month free for 6 mos or a year (I forget) with my machine purchase, so woohoo I got that already. lol

I have a couple of spare bobbins too. (also came in my accessories pouch with my machine)

I have a seam ripper, but I just grabbed any one I saw and am clueless on the rundown on seam rippers. lol

I have some pins, but will have to look at what type they are and if they work for sewing or even quilting for that matter. lol I just picked up a package and have no idea.

This is really funny for me. I have not been in a situation and been so completely clueless ever. rofl

It's really exciting for me, but also bizarre.

Thanks so much. Time for a bit of shopping.

*edited to add* On measuring tape....soft tape or can I use any type?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Soft tape Sara, they work better. Also, the bobbins, even though you got a couple extra with your machine, its always better to purchase more. At least half a dozen.

And seam rippers, you want more than one. Honest, because your always losing them for some reason.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by homesteadmamma
    Dee, I have everything on that list except a sewing guage. What on earth is a sewing guage used for?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

oh my goodness, I have one of those in the sewing kit that once was my mother's, I wondered what the heck it was!!! mystery solved! maybe someday I will join the ranks of sewers again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sara, you will need a soft measuring tape. This you will use to measure yourself or the children to find out what size to make, to pin patterns on ( the grain line thing) I would personally get the 120" one, that way you only need 1 tape measure. 60" is fine for measuring the kids etc. but when you go to measure for curtains or the sofa you need the 120". http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...reground=green

Also I was too crosseyed last night to find this one, but here is a pic of tailors chalk http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...reground=green

You probably have a seam ripper in your accessories, but it will be a small one. They are uncomfortable to use as they are so small. I think those little ones are best in a travel sewing kit. Get one that has a longer handle and is more comfortable to use.

And I forgot about a pin cushion, there are many styles out there so just find one you are comfortable with. I personally like the wrist one, but not many people do.

CJ, I use a sewing guage for turning under and making rolled hems, hemming pants etc. It is nice because you can set it at whatever measurement you need, for instance I need to turn up a hem 1". I can set it at 1" and be sure everytime I pick it up it is still set there. I don't have to keep fooling around with the big, soft 120" measuring tape and keep looking to make sure I have it right on 1". This little 6" guage is rigid and so much easier to work with.

Here is an up close picture from one of the tutorials. It has inches on one side and mm on the other.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dee, thank you. I am going to pick one of those up next time I'm in the sewing store.

Sara, if you get extra bobbins for your machine, sometimes you can get generic which are cheaper. BUT make sure they will fit in a Husqvarna machine. Some will say they fit in all machines, but they don't. With my machine, you can only get Husqvarna bobbins.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast