Sewing clothing - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sewing clothing

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh no, quilts are so easy. Seriously. You just have to sew a line with straight stitch. No fancy sewing, changing feet or anything. Do you have the little booklet for your machine? At worst you'll have to adjust tension.

You can find so many videos on youtube that show you anything you want to know. You can even watch tv shows online. https://freshquilting.com/

Just start with a block that doesn't have a bazillion pieces first. We are all drawn to the more complex patterns but they are time consuming and frustrating, even for experienced quilters.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you. But all is not lost.

YouTube is a wonderful resource for all kinds of crafts and other DIY. I started sewing when I was a child so young my mom had me use an old treadle machine so I couldn't hurt myself much, and I've sewed professionally and owned a sewing business and made things a lot of people would never think of, so I have decades of good experience in many areas of sewing. I still go to YT sometimes if there's something I don't know. I like videos because I can pause or start over if I miss something or forget something.

I bought a little machine from WM last year. It's pretty basic but I bought it for hauling to craft gatherings because it's small and lightweight. It's a Brother I got $20 off for $100. I would recommend it for a beginner machine, in case you decide to give it a try again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ha! CH beat me to it!

I was thinking the same about many quilt blocks all being straight stitching and many pretty quilts are just simple piecing and straight lines. You could do a placemat or table runner to start, something small so it's less daunting till you get the hang of it. Start with a pattern based only on squares. Then when you're comfortable with that, move up to using triangles to make squares, or a pattern with squares and triangles, like a bear paw.

I've always thought much of sewing well is just about being able to recognize your own mistakes and then being willing to take time to correct them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My first quilt was a 9-patch. 4 squares of one fabric, 5 squares of another. Arrange the 5 squares in a X, put the 4 squares in the gaps. I still have that one. The quilting was the first and only one that I ever did by hand, took forever. It fit my double bed at the time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    My first quilt was a 9-patch.
    The first one I *finished* was a 9-patch, too. It's a bit ragged these days, but we still use it. I've made several variations since.

Four Patch and Double Four Patch are good beginner patterns, too. They lend themselves to many variations and secondary designs.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I forgot to mention that I didn't keep the machine long and it went back to the store and another one I believe, I sold. Yeah, I've had 2 to 3 machines over the years but none now and Youtube is a wonderful idea that I hadn't thought of!

For now I won't get another one if I were to just due to my upcoming move and so much going on and so forth but I'll think long and hard about it and one day after I get moved, I just might get a new machine and give it a try with videos to help guide me. Thank you!

Scarlett Kaye

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck with the move!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I dabbled in quilting for a little bit.

Potholders are good for a small project. One quilt square = on potholder. I believe I recycled some towels that were getting frayed on edges for the "batting" layer. That protects a little better from the heat.

You could also do a small decorative wall hanging. Maybe as a seasonal or holiday decoration.

A larger quilt square might work as a cover for one of those small square pillows. You could add a boarder to make it fit.

I also want to put in a plug for hand sewing. I do both machine and hand sewing. I enjoy doing hand sewing for small projects. I feel like hand sewing gives me more control over projects with curves and tricky bits. Hand sewing just feels more relaxing to me.

A feature on my machine - I think this is a pretty standard feature - is a speed dial. You can start out with your machine on the slowest speed till you feel comfortable. It is much easier to control the fabric at turtle speed. (My machine actual has little picture of a turtle and rabbit next to the speed dial.) You can slowly build up speed as your confidence increases. I generally adjust the speed depending on what I am doing. Long straight lines are full speed. Curves and short lines are slower speed.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never seen a speed dial on a sewing machine, but it sounds like a great feature for a beginner. I do think power tools intimidate a lot of people when they're not used to them, and a sewing machine is a power tool. With all my machines, the speed is controlled by the foot pedal like the accelerator on a car, except sewing machines don't keep moving when they're idling.

I can't run any of my machines flat out except the residential serger. They're all too fast. The industrial machine's top end is 2,500 stitches per minute and I'd be scared to meet the person with lightning reflexes who could run it that fast. It also roars like crazy the faster it runs. I've sewed over my fingers with that one when I've run it fast (not that fast!) and it's not fun, although the needle going through my hand didn't hurt as much as that damn walking foot. The industrial serger is somewhat more tame but I think that's because the stitches are right next to each other on it, so has to make lots more stitches than the sewing machine to go the same distance, so the fabric doesn't move as fast.

I can't stand hand sewing, usually. If a pattern calls for hand sewing I generally figure out a different technique so I can do it on the machine. Case in point, shirt collars and cuffs. I haven't hand stitched those suckers since the early 80s. Occasionally there's something I don't have much choice about, and then it's like torture.

But yet I like beading, which is essentially hand sewing. Some days I can't figure myself out.

I like these conversations. It's fun to see the different approaches we have to the same tasks and interests.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My 18 yr old machine has fast, medium, and slow stitch settings. I use fast. It is also regulated by the foot presser. The slow setting is good for kids, it won't go very fast even if they stomp the pedal.

I made 2 more blocks this morning. This is all I have time for right now. May get some more made later in the month if the costuming goes well.

Name:  DSCN0667.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  11.8 KB

Name:  DSCN0666.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  15.3 KB

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I reworked 2 more secondhand clothing items today - cut off & hemmed denim shorts and another bra extender. I have some secondhand navy knit pants that are too short, wondering about adding some sort of braid/trim to make them longer (would have to buy it, nothing on hand.) I already have navy capris so don't really want to cut them off.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hemmed a slip, ready to wear. Cut off and finished raw edges of the navy knit pants (above) for capri pants. I'll sew the hems by hand in a few days. 3 T shirts need to be shortened.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Shortened another half-slip without too much trouble. Saved the lace from the part removed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    Shortened another half-slip without too much trouble. Saved the lace from the part removed.
    You've been a busy gal ... keep up the good work!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Found one of mom's skirts in the closet - a nice basic black. Don't have a black skirt that fits currently. Need to remove & enlarge the waistband using some of the length cut off the bottom. It is unlined so a good thing having those half-slips on hand.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast