what to do with fabric scraps?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default what to do with fabric scraps?

While I was in Sydney staying with my sister, who is a quilter and generally a whiz on her sewing machine, I asked her could I look through her fabrics to find something to make a tote bag with. I'd seen one that a woman had in our shop and thought even I could make it. I found a couple of pieces I liked but my sister went mental looking through her materials and I ended up coming home with three bags of fabric pieces!! And I don't know what to do with them. I'm going to do Dee's tote tutorial and hopefully it will come out okay but what will I do with all the other bits? I do have a DIL who teaches craft and would love these fabrics but I feel that now I'm living the frugal lifestyle that I should do something with at least some of what my sister gave me. Any suggestions?

The fabrics are mostly cotton, there is one bag full of Liberty samples that are around 12"x12", there are many pieces that might be 24"x24" and there are a lot of squares that she must have prepared for patchwork and then discarded. All the fabric is very good quality which she bought over the years travelling through the States.

Remember, I'm a complete novice, I have a sewing machine that is over 20 years old but still works well and I will give anything a go but I don't want to do anything complicated.

All your suggestions would be very welcome.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

maybe some potpourri sachets? How about scrap pieces sewn together to make a "scrappy" throw pillow? um.... i dunno? let us know what you end up making!

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob mylittle4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My daughters use my scraps to make dog bones to sell. They gather them together at one end and knot them. Then they divide it into 3 sections and braid it then knot it again. Then they tear the ends to make them look shredded on each end of the knot. other than that you can make herbal heating bags, hair kerchiefs, scrunchies, pot holders, anything patchwork like throw blankets totes aprons the list is pretty endless. Have fun!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Angelee made me think of the rice bags Graci just made. Those can be herbal too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You could make pot holders with them. Patcwork aprons, even tablecloths in a simple 9 patch block or even a simple 4 patch block.

You could also do a simple 9-patch quilt. It wouldn't have to be large, even just a lap quilt. You could also make rail fence blocks and make it into a quilt.

Being as some are 24 x 24, you could do lots of things with them, because thats a bit bigger than a fat quarter.

Ooooh to have scraps that size, I'd love it. There really is no limit as to what you can make.