What type of Machine do you use?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question What type of Machine do you use?

I'm just curious. I have an aging but very servicable no frills Singer. She does a respectable job, as I don't do much "fancy" work. Boys' jammies, costumes, curtains, etc.

However, many others have tried to talk/guilt me into buying $$$$ machines. Is there really that much of a difference so as to be noticable to a run of the mill sewer?

Is is a craftsmanship vs. equipment question?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not much of a sewer but I have a really old Kenmore(Sears) model that my parents bought for me at a garage sale about 15 years ago. It is not fancy and only cost $50 but I would not trade it for anything because it is such a great old workhorse. I do have a newer Singer but I just find it doesn't match my old one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a Necchi Sylvia Maximatic. I like it but found out that they did not make a quilting walking foot for it and there is no substitute. Also the extra feed dog plate is missing that is used to change it to freestyle for I'm stuck doing all of my quilting by hand.

I have a White serger and I'm afraid to use it. Well, actually, I've never taken the time to sit down and read the instructions.

These were both my MIL's machines.

My old Montgomery Ward machine was a workhorse as well as an old Singer that was dh's grandmas but they are both locked up now and I'm guessing it's due to the desert heat and dust. I did try oiling them but they still won't move so they need serviced.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have an old 1981 no frills Brother sewing machine. I bought it when my kids were babies. I'm not much of a sewer but I've always used it for repairs and making things with straight lines.

I had it serviced just before Christmas and it works like a charm. I'd love to buy a Pfaff but I can't justify the expense so I'll stick to my brother.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a three year old White machine. It has pulled me through, but I still don't trust it. I'm saving for a new machine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a JC Penney model I bought from the catalog about 30 years ago. I have had it repaired about 3 times over the years because the operator did not know what they were doing ( I won't say who the operator was)    but after being spruced up it keeps on going on like the Eveready Bunny. I really haven't used it much in the past few years.

It can do a few of the fancy stitches, but I have never really used them. Just mainly straight sewing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a basic 1993 Singer. It's always done what I needed it to do, though the overlock stitch isn't working at the moment. I solve that by making french seams on everything or by sewing items out of fabric that doesn't need seam edge finishing. DH would love it if I got a computerized one that did everything but turn itself on. He's a gadget freak. I would love one that has everything I've got on mine now, plus an automatic button holer. I loathe buttonholes and tend to hand sew snaps then cover them with shank buttons for looks. Lame, aren't I?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a Husqvarna Viking Rose. It was quite pricey but I do love it. I have a Baby Lock before that, which is now my dd's. I started out with a Brother from Walmart that I sewed the dickens out of and finally it gave up the ghost after 12 years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love my 14 year old Bernina 1230. At the time I purchased this machine it was the top of the line. Fancier machines have since come out but I still am holding on to this one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kay, I am holding out for a nice Bernina too. No fancy stitches or embroidery, just your nice basic, quality machine that I can use for another 20 years!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've got a White that I HATE. I am saving for a new one...but I don't see myself getting a new one for a couple of years

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a Husqvarna Lily 555 that I love. It was very expensive but my mom bought it for me. I especially love it for quilting.

But I'd have to say my simple Husqvarna I had before that sewed as much as this one does.

If your machine works for you and doesn't give you problems, don't ever feel "guilted" into spending $$ to purchase a new one just because others want you too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a Kenmore too for about 18 years now. It has been a good old workhorse for me too! Just recently something is messed up in the zigzag stitching so I will be getting a new one. First I have to save for it and then start looking.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob mylittle4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a brother cs 8060 sewing machine I am happy with it. I have had it for a little over a year but i sew a lot on it. I have a brother 1034d serger and it was a great investment it was not as expensive as a lot of other sergers but it chews through everything it has sewn so many layers of corduroy and denim and it just keeps going. Then I also have a White embroidery machine 3300. I am happy with this machine now but at first i wasn't. I worked for a Husqvarna sewing center for awhile and learned how to do minor repair and tweaking on machines and this taught me how to get my embroidery machine working for me. To answer your question instead of blabbing though. When I worked for Husqvarna I got to sew all day on those pricey machines that we all drool over and found that I was not overly impressed by the pricey machines as compared to my less expensive ones. I di see a lot of troubles singers and whites come in for repair but it was mostly the newer models. Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have bought my second singer. This model is a "schoolastic" model (the type used in schools) I figured if it can survive the education environment, I shouldn't be able to hurt it to much. I went with Singer because my Mom had one when I was young.

The next one I buy will probably be a Bernina. My local quilt store sells them and I am really impressed with not only the "fancy" ones, but the basic models as well. Before I can do that, I will have to earn a little $ to pay for another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast