does anyone have a serger?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default does anyone have a serger?

I have been thinking of getting one with a little of my tax refund since we have gotten so much accomplisehed with the bills. I was wondering if anyone else had one and how much you like it. I saw a Singer at Joanns for 249.00

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't sew with a serger. But, my daughter is studying Theatrical Costume Design in college and sews with one frequently. She loves it! She loves it more than a regular sewing machine. I don't know about the Singer brand... because she sews on Berninas at school. However, my mom bought her a sewing machine for Christmas. She got it at Overstock.com and saved about 60%-ish. She said they had good consumer info on the products there.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I JUST bought one today on Amazon. They finally dropped the price after I've had it in my cart for 3 months. I got a Brother 1034D for $208, free shipping. It's gotten great reviews there and I got a great deal (48% off). Try looking up the model you're interested in at Amazon. Reading alot of product reviews always help me make up my mind.~

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User wanderinggrandma's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I "borrowed" my sister's --she hadn't used it in years--and I'm not going to give it back!!! LOL It is a basic model and I have really used it. I love finishing off seams with it. It was a bear to thread the first time. I also broke a couple of needles while I was learning. No instruction manual so it was trial and error but pretty easy to figure out how to use it.

If I ever buy my own, I would look for a machine that would do a few more things--blind hem for example.

I sew a lot on polar fleece and flannel and it does great. You can go to a sewing machine store and "test drive" different models. Also some places give free lessons when you purchase from their store. That would really help with the learning curve!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nuisance26 View Post
    ~I JUST bought one today on Amazon. They finally dropped the price after I've had it in my cart for 3 months. I got a Brother 1034D for $208, free shipping. It's gotten great reviews there and I got a great deal (48% off). Try looking up the model you're interested in at Amazon. Reading alot of product reviews always help me make up my mind.~
    I've wanted one for awhile. I reg sew. When i was researching the Brother 1034D was the best for a beg at the best price and it comes w free shipping at amazon.com. It is norm around $240-250....I don't know what deal she had,but it is still a great deal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tell me what it is that makes a serger different from a regular sewing machine. I've had the same machine for years and have always wondered.......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by cab54 View Post
    Tell me what it is that makes a serger different from a regular sewing machine. I've had the same machine for years and have always wondered.......
    ~A serger cuts a clean edge and finishes the edge in one step. The sewing machine way is to sew a seam, trim, and then zig-zag over the edge to finish. A serger saves time and creates a more professional finish. Sergers do alot more but that's the primary reason I wanted one.~