Incredible shrinking groceries! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Noticed today at the grocery store...

Fresh Express salad in a bag...used to be 16oz, then 12oz...it's now 9oz!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smk0817 View Post
    I cooked a box of Hamburger Helper last night and it almost didn't feed the four of us. Last year this time we would have had leftovers from it.

Stephanie
    I make this for DBF's lunches and it only makes 3 lunches for him. I swear the box says 5 servings...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyS View Post
    I make this for DBF's lunches and it only makes 3 lunches for him. I swear the box says 5 servings...
    I add lentils to it to make more.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have definately noticed this with toilet paper. There are now 9 count packages. That plus the roles are smaller in width. Also have noticed products not being a full 16 oz. It really does get frustrating sometimes. Plus this seems to be just the beginning. Who knows where prices and package weights will go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Funny ! I just noticed the same thing this past weekend with oatmeal packets. I do get the large containers of oatmeal, but I admit to keeping a box of instant flavored oatmeal packets on hand for a quick breakfast I can eat at the office. Anyway, some of the dollar stores sell a generic brand, Mom's Best, with 8 envelopes for $1. I picked up another box for $1, thinking it was great at least the price for oatmeal had not increased...well, then I got home and was putting the groceries away. I then noticed that the box now only held 6 packets of oatmeal. I even got out another box I had in the cupboard to compare and make sure I was not imagining things. What a rip off.
    Sigh, it is getting harder and harder to stay within the grocery budget.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I noticed the Cheezits crackers on sale today. The boxes looked mini-sized and they were only about 10oz but same price on sale as the old 16oz boxes used to be - 2 for $5. They are obvious about it now whereas usually they try to sneak the same size box with less product by us so we don't notice at first. I passed on that "non" sale!

Also, I could see that there were new price stickers pasted hurriedly over old ones, reflecting anywhere from 50cents to a dollar increase on everything! Seems everyone is jumping on the bandwagon and ripping us for every penny they can squeeze out of us. I did get eggs for a dollar a carton on sale. I'm surprised they didn't rename the large eggs as jumbo size or something like that or sneak and put small eggs in the large containers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Its the same as when McD's decided to go healthy and shrink their portions.. yet the price stayed the same.. i think it was just them trying to make more money not really for americans health.

Anyway they can get us to think we are getting a deal they will do it i guess.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by HandyMom View Post
    I'm surprised they didn't rename the large eggs as jumbo size or something like that or sneak and put small eggs in the large containers.
    They can't. The USDA regulates what size of what egg can be called what. An egg can only be called Large if it is 2oz, eggs can only be called Jumbo if they are greater than 2.5oz, etc.
    http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams....&acct=pgeninfo

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my dh and i drink diet rite pop. a month ago it was 2.50, 2 weeks ago it was 2.98 i went in to buy some tuesday and it was 3.98. this is a genric soda and that is why we buy it, guess we are going to have to go to tea

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

last summer I noticed that the 2 qt. ice cream was actually only 56 oz., and the 5 qt pails had gone down to 4.5 quarts. this has been happening for a while now.

Registered User my4littlebuffaloes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know this has happened for years, I remember other items that the packaging shrunk but the price didn't. I have just noticed it a lot more lately. And ice cream is now at 48oz a tub, so they reduced it even more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's another recent one....

I'm making boxed mac & cheese for dinner. Four boxes is always enough for our family of six, plus some leftover for lunches the next day.

I poured four boxes into the pan and I'm stirring it, thinking 'this does not feel like I poured 4 boxes in there'. So I check the trash, sure enough...4 boxes. Then I remembered this thread so I checked the box more closely.

Instead of the usual 7.25oz box it's 6.2oz!!!!! So for the four boxes, that's practically a whole serving not there now...for the same damn price as always. There will be no leftovers for tomorrow's lunch

Tricky you-know-whats

Registered User my4littlebuffaloes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

is it kraft? Most of their special boxes are smaller, I learned that the hard way. around me the original is still 7.25 though, I made some today that I recently bought. Did you buy a different shape or cheese style? They will get you every way they can!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by my4littlebuffaloes View Post
    is it kraft? Most of their special boxes are smaller, I learned that the hard way. around me the original is still 7.25 though, I made some today that I recently bought. Did you buy a different shape or cheese style? They will get you every way they can!
    Nope the same cheap brand I always get... Golden Grain elbow macaroni & cheese. It's always been the cheapest, 33c/7.25oz...for years now. I stopped looking at the unit price because the price didn't change. Uh huh. The wily SOBs kept the same size box, same price, and decreased the damn product inside by more than an ounce!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Those new fangled 'ecologically sound' water bottles that use less plastic?

yep.. also less water.

(I don't buy them... I just laugh about it.. what else can I do.. or else I'd cry)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast