Incredible shrinking groceries! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Nurse View Post
    Those new fangled 'ecologically sound' water bottles that use less plastic?

yep.. also less water.

(I don't buy them... I just laugh about it.. what else can I do.. or else I'd cry)

I have the new Polar Spring bottles. They are the same amt (16.9oz) in each bottle as the old ones. I have a case of each in the basement.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I noticed today that cold cereal (name brands) were only 10.5 oz boxes.

wow - that wouldn't last us 3 days.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just bought a box of Swiss Miss hot cocoa mix last week, outwardly the box looked to be the same size, but 6 envelopes now instead of 8. I was shocked, thought maybe I got a bum box, but nope the box says 6 envelopes. Also if you count the amount of fruit pieces in a can of sliced fruit, there are less slices & more juice. I had some older cans of the same variety and the new cans had less fruit and more syrup....maybe accidental, but I doubt it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh Yeah .. i have noticed a lot of products that are packed in a liquid have had more liquid in them.

Cherry Pie filling .. OMG .. i got a can to make Joe's Bday cake Holly Cow it was almost all that syrupy stuff... very disapointing.

BTW i can see all of us going in with calculators and pads of paper going down the isles grocery shopping re calculating prices to make sure that they are good deals

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Small update on my contacting Edy's about this:

I got an e-mail saying the cost of ingredients were so high they didn't want to increase the price of the ice cream.... I also got a coupon for a free Edy's product along with 2 .50 off coupons. Sometimes it just pays to contact someone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought a container of Breyer's ice cream the other day and didn't realize until I got it home and looked at the container sideways how much it had shrunk.

Trader Joe's pita chips bags are practically individual serving size now, but same price as the larger bag used to be.

I'd rather have them raise the price because now I have to buy two packages of certain things in order to get the amount I need, which costs me more and leaves me with leftovers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My cat food used to be 4.5lbs and now it's 3lbs. I didn't notice until today, but this must have happened a couple of months ago. The cats seemed to be going through a lot more cat food in the last couple of months and I thought they were eating more, though it didn't appear like they were and I was still giving them the same amount of food. Today I opened a new bag of cat food and filled up their plastic storage container and that's when I realized that the whole bag fit in the container with room to spare. When the bag was 4.5 lbs it never all fit in the plastic container I would have extra in the bag. The price is the same for the cat food, but we are getting 1.5 lbs less now. We still have more coupons for this cat food, but when those are used up I might not be buying this brand anymore. I will be looking for a good price for the amount of food in the bag.

I know this is happening with many products, but it just doesn't seem fair to the consumer. I can't believe how common the problem is and that we are all just stuck paying the same price for smaller amounts of everything. It might help with our waistlines here eventually, because we just won't be able to eat what we want or when we want. I have a feeling we will be rationing food quite soon. It's only my fiance and I, and we already do this to a certain amount, but now we'll be counting everything out and when you eat all of yours that's it for the day. One yogurt, one banana, one handful peanuts, one spoonful of peanut butter, one glass of milk, one piece of toast, etc... it's just ridiculous that we pay the same amount for food each week, but it's all shrunk in amount, and I didn't think we really ate that much to begin with!

Registered User my4littlebuffaloes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought a totinos pizza today for the first time in a few months. We used to have to put these on a dinner plate for it to fit. When I opened the box I could tell it was smaller. After cooking it, it fit on a salad plate. I have no idea how many ounces it is less, but I know it is way smaller than it used to be. And the price is the same.

I bought a thing of Maxwell house coffee. It was 33oz and the old one I was finishing was 34.5 oz. It just never ends!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Tuna. Not long ago I actually weighed the tuna in a drained 6 oz can (Chicken of the Sea, I think), because I was calculating nutritional info for a recipe. It was only 3 oz of tuna, the rest was water. I'm beginning to think the house brand tuna pouches on sale are a better deal, or at least not a much worse one, and they are definitely not as messy to use.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by claimsgirl66 View Post
    Funny ! I just noticed the same thing this past weekend with oatmeal packets. I do get the large containers of oatmeal, but I admit to keeping a box of instant flavored oatmeal packets on hand for a quick breakfast I can eat at the office. Anyway, some of the dollar stores sell a generic brand, Mom's Best, with 8 envelopes for $1. I picked up another box for $1, thinking it was great at least the price for oatmeal had not increased...well, then I got home and was putting the groceries away. I then noticed that the box now only held 6 packets of oatmeal. I even got out another box I had in the cupboard to compare and make sure I was not imagining things. What a rip off.
    Sigh, it is getting harder and harder to stay within the grocery budget.
    You could start making your own "instant packets".

http://lifehacker.com/software/diy/d...eal-220085.php

UKBB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

everyone is trying to save a buck and the manufacturers are hoping we don't notice, um hello we notice already!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep we sure do notice.they`re not dealing with dummies here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've noticed this with a few items lately too. We need to send these manufacturers a message - vote with our grocery dollars or whatever it is they say. I try to limit what I buy that comes pre-packaged anyway (due to my personal convictions about poor health/convenience food connection) but I won't buy those products when I notice this stuff happening. If the cereal boxes are getting smaller, buy the kind in bulk bins (or the generic large bags) and send them an email so that they know we are not going to allow it. I'm tired of being at their mercy. Help me to break the cycle LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A good point to keep in your price book. Cost per ounce/pound/cup etc. rather than 'item in the shelf"

This is a common theme I've noticed through the years.

I wonder... how small CAN they get?

I have to chuckle at one of the posts... I think the poster said they called Edy's and and the company told them (loosely quoted) "due to the rising costs... they didn't want to put the cost on the consumer."

Is that tooooo funny! or what!
    Maybe the 'average' consumer... but we're not your average consumer.....now are we! Ladies and a few gents!

What they meant to say is they "didn't want the consumer to notice that they increased the price per ounce and then choose a cheaper brand!"

Gatta love the marketing department. eh?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MVS0122 View Post
    I'm tired of being at their mercy. Help me to break the cycle LOL!

Here ye here ye!!

I hereby command all who purchase shrinking groceries... to boycott said company.

I'm with you on this. I've got your back.

I too won't buy that stuff for health reasons. But I guess enough of the consumers do.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast