The Incredibly Shrinking Product Strikes Again! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well for some things it could be looked at as good. The portion size got cut down the single servings which can't be anything but better for us.

But I agree I think it is sneaky OTOH people being what they are will tend to go for the lowest price. Raising the price is more likely to get the average consumer to stop buying than a smaller package.

Personally I always compare the per unit prices on stuff to look for the best deal. Fortunately there are no brands I am especially attached to. Sooner or later they come along and "improve" them anyway so the taste will change and not always for the better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Walmart Rant..Lying Employee

I went to Wal-fart last night and I went to look for a bottle of Top Job amonia....only to find it missing from the shelves. There were a few employees milling around the area, so I asked them if they had moved the product. 2 of the employees said that they didn't know anything about it & the other proceeded to tell me that they haven't sold amonia in 2-3 yrears. "EXCUUUUSE ME????" I replied...."Then if that is the truth, why is it that I was able to walk in this store just a few weeks ago & was able to purchase a bottle of it?"
    GGGRRR. I called the store manager this morning about it...I am more angry that I was lied to more than anything else.
    Okay, rant over

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I find in the over sized stores the employees do not care as much about customer service, you will find some that want to help you, but most just want to get you on your way.

In December I belive the Today show did a special on shrinking containers and growing prices. I was suprised of how many companies were doing it. They belive you need it and will buy it any way. I belive it will be like gasoline everyone needs it but everyone will cut down and eventully prices will have to come down. I think if you are changing the size of the packaging you should have to stick with "NEW SMALLER SIZE" or somthing like that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by many houseapes View Post
    I went to Wal-fart last night

OMG, that is too funny!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I saw a news story about this a couple weeks ago. They were showing cereal boxes that were now skinnier than before. So on the shelf they look the same size.... and likely you may not even notice at all... you might just think your family is going thru product faster.

I think it is very sneaky. I would prefer sizes staying the same and they just raise the prices. At least then I would feel like they are trying to be so sneaky.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I know this has been happening .. even in our convience store we have 3 dollar sandwiches(use to be more than that .. but thats another story) and instead of raising prices on them .. they have gotten smaller and smaller.. this last year has been bad on the shrinking sandwich! I am sure there are other things but that is the one thing that smacks me in the face from where I work.

Registered User phoeny_moonstar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think this is totally tacky and deceptive for companies to do things like this to consumers!

Registered User thesightofoneself's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

the tampons one made me laugh... then get really sad. they already cost too much.

8pk sodas?! since when? i was ranting in the store... for a while.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Patty A View Post
    Most mayo jars, down from 32 oz to 30
    chips, down from 12 oz to 10oz
    cereal cutting anywhere from 1.5 oz to 2.3 oz
    ice cream down from 1.75 quart to 1.5
    Tropicana orange juice down from 96 oz to 89oz
    Johnsonville brats down from 10 to 8 in a container
    Tampons down two per box
    Many pasta's are down from 1# to smaller amounts
    Birds eye frozen peas down from 907g to 800 g with a 15% price increase.
    Many frozen veggies down from 16 oz to 14.2
    Toilet paper down length of each sheet cut from 4 to 3.7 inches per sheet.
    3# coffee cans now 39 oz (for awhile now its been this way!)
    Yogurt from 8 oz to 6 oz
    Fabric soften sheets down from 40 to 36
    general mills fiber bars 5 per package, most offer 6
    Dial soap bars down from 4.5oz to 4 oz
    8 oz hershey bar down to 6.8 15% smaller at same price
    This is just a few I found looking around. It lets you know its happening with everything, not just food but all kinds of products.
    Hope it soon stops as I feel like it is totally deceptive! Sneaky ways of charging the same price for less product and they get away with it because they put the amount in correctly. Thing is they don't change the package so you think you are getting the same amount you always have. And they always wonder why we don't trust!
    ....and last but not least is that there's no such thing as 1lb of coffee anymore. The pkges are as small as 10oz now I'm sure we'll be seeing lots more too

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think everything is being sized down. Though, think of the fewer calories you'll be eating if you keep cooking with the same products.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought the kids a pack of gum the other day and I think the pieces of gum have shrunk. The kids mentioned it too. The looked about 2/3 normal size.

Sheesh. This is getting insane.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Its a matter of honesty with me. I buy what I buy, thinking without them saying anything that I am getting the product I NORMALLY would get. I think it is sneaky and very underhanded to "srink" the size and make things smaller, yet they look so much the same. I would much rather they be honest and up the price instead of srinking the size we are use to, and doing doing the srink in a way that is on the sly and totally sneaky!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I thought something looked different with the tuna cans...it was actually reading the nutritional information that had changed (the serving size and servings/can) that tipped me off.

I would rather they keep the same sizes and raise the prices. Instead they pull a double whammy and shrink the amount of product and increase the price. Enough is enough. :hopmad:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Patty A View Post
    Tampons down two per box
    I read that as "Tampons down to two per box". I was shocked and thought "Wow, is it really getting that bad?" Then I realized you meant two less per box, not two lonely tampons rolling around at the bottom of a box.

I swear - I am wearing my reading glasses!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is a form of deception just like moving items to different places in Walmart just to get you to walk around the store and then you buy more goods (or should I say bads). Just this week I bought a bag of Milky Way snack size bars and boy are they smaller not to mention the other items you girls have listed. I wonder if the companies think we are just idiots and not notice. I myself do use the unit pricing but sometimes it just surprises you to see the size of things when you open the bags or box. I must say one day I told my husband it is getting too expensive to even have a menstrual cycle anymore, of course it would be very expensive if you didn't and nine months later you have a gift from God. Sorry, my mind started wandering.

Monner

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast