Remember when we "use" to be able to buy 10 pack hangers??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I remember getting really upset when stamps went from 25 cents to 29 cents. It was 1997 I think.

On the toilet paper issue, one thing that is helpful to the consumer here in the EU is that they have to put the weight of the toilet paper on the package. So if you know that you buy 800 grams of toilet paper for x amount of money, you're going to notice if the weight goes down or price goes up.

And for whatever reason, our thrift shops have packaged just 10 shower curtain hangers in a bag for a long time..........mine (and most)
    shower curtains take 12!! Don't know if they don't know this........(and I have commented)...or what....and they can have two packs, same color, side by side.........but only 10 in each.
    FrugalFranny, they know and you know it! They're the same companies who punch 12 holes in the shower curtains, and they love it when you buy two entire packages of curtain rings for each curtain.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wonder if swiss cheese is getting more holes

I think this is rapant. Packages are small, fabrics are thinner, toliet paper rolls smaller... and I just thought my family was using more TP.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I got married, stamps were ten cents and that seemed expensive when it came to mailing wedding invitations. OTOH, when I think that I can put a letter in the mail and it will be carried across the country and delivered right to someone's house for me, the cost of a stamp still seems like a bargain.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do remember how cheap it was to buy candy and soda when I was a kid...a million moons ago. LOL

I was thinking today about the clothes hangers and then the price of totes. Things made of plastic have just gone up I guess. I love using totes to store Christmas and other holiday stuff but I sure don't like the prices.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Totes are good for lots of things, for sure. And they have gone up.

We often pick up those telescoping boxes at the grocery store that they get fruit in. They're sturdy and last a long time. But some things really need a tote, I agree.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Totes are good for lots of things, for sure. And they have gone up.

We often pick up those telescoping boxes at the grocery store that they get fruit in. They're sturdy and last a long time. But some things really need a tote, I agree.
    We are getting ready to move into our new home in the next couple of months and I've been packing up things a little along. Dh has family that works at the grocery store and we've been able to get the fruit boxes for packing. They are good and sturdy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have five cats so go through a lot of cat litter. I've used the pails for more storage and organization ideas than I can count. Maybe you could Freecycle some.

I'm afraid to buy too many totes because I'm trying to de-clutter and purge, and if I put everything in totes and then empty them as I get rid of stuff, then they'll just become clutter themselves.

Congrats on the new house!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good idea about the cat litter pails. Thanks

Thanks about the house. Something we've dreamed of for a long time. We've been in the process of building for 9 months. Hope to get it done in the next 2 or 3 months.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I remember when I was a kid buying a bakers dozen doughnut for my Dad and it being a buck and a half, and him complaining about how much it cost. It's over $12 a dozen here now at the bakeries.

And I remember when you went to a diner out here and would order a 15 cent cup of coffee. It came with a carafe full of hot coffee, and a bowlful of creamers on the table. A never ending cup for 15 cents!

I remember the diners out here serving a full breakfast, with the never ending coffee cup for a buck! We used to go out after closing, I was a bartender, and eat breakfast. A stack of giant pancakes, 3 eggs, a huge pile of homefries, scrapple, toast and jelly & a small juice, and of course the never ending coffee cup. That was but 20 years ago!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I remember when gas hit $1 a gallon. It was like the end of the world! Crazy time. Worse than when it $4 a gallon a few years ago.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's funny Spirit Deer!!

My youngest just said to me, using his very best imitation of his Father, "When I was your age we didn't have XBox, we had cardboard box!" LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I actually haven't noticed it at all in being here. Perhaps it's a US thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    That's funny Spirit Deer!!

My youngest just said to me, using his very best imitation of his Father, "When I was your age we didn't have XBox, we had cardboard box!" LOL!
    LOL now that is funny!!! I do remember when the 1st Atari game came out. Dh and I were married with no kids. We bought one and played it on our black and white tv. My son still has the Atari in his gaming collection.

I remember when my parents bought a gallon of milk from the milk man for $1.00.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That was funny!

I remember going out and collecting pop bottles from the road ditches so I could cash them in for the nickel deposit and pay for my five dollar annual pass for the local swimming pool. I got my money's worth, too!

I remember minimum wage being $1.25/hour. Which is why candy bars only cost a nickel.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I remember going "downtown" twice a year with my mother (who wore a pillbox hat, sheath dress, high heels and gloves a la Jackie Kennedy) to buy a Christmas or Easter dress. The big treat was that we got a bottle of CocaCola out of the "Coke machine" for 6 cents a bottle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast