Are time saving devices really time saving?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Are time saving devices really time saving?

I got to thinking of this when I posted in the other thread and begin to wonder, are they really time saving.

I thought of my KA and thought - hmmm wonder how time saving that is. Its on my kitchen cupboard, but I have to take everything out and put it into the bowl. After I'm finished, I have to clean it which means the beaters, the bowl, the mixer itself and the ring/spout that goes around it to pour the flour in. I need room on my kitchen cupboard for the appliance even.

I could do it just as quickly with a bowl and a wooden spoon.

Another time saving device - hair dryer. Well again I need room to store it, take it out, put it away. I can let my hair dry naturally.

Dishwasher - mmmmm this is a good one. First rinse the dishes, put them in the dishwasher. Once they are dried take them out and put them away. Takes about 30 minutes to do. I can throw the dishes in hot water, wash, rinse and let them air dry in about 8 minutes. (btw - I don't have a dishwasher in this house, we did in the city.)

Just some thoughts. How about you? Do you think most time saving devices really save us time or are they more of a hindrance?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The computer saves me time when it comes to researching material...... My microwave saves me time when warming leftovers..... The washer is alot better than a washboard or a rock ( I'm just assuming) The vacuum over a broom, Ok I'm spoiled !!!! I do however have many unnecessary appliances ....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well the computer i couldn't live without. I would miss you guys so much!!!!!!!!!!!! the microwave i can live with out. and the shake maker, and well the dehydrator i could use the oven, take so much space to store them all. and the crock pot i don't think really saves much time, or the pizza cooker either.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love my dishwasher, it really does save me a lot of time. I don't have to stand at the sink for 20-40 minutes stratight..i can just pop it in in 3 min..go play with ayla the rest of the time it washes (and pop in laundry, switch my laundry and put away clothes) then I go back and do another quick switch that takes maybe 5 min. for unloading and reloading..If i didn't have a portable i would also let the silverware and bottles go unwashed as long as possible

microwave definitly a time saver, i cook corn on the cob a lot in there instead of boiling it..same with baked potatoes ..then of course pop corn, and i get quite a few tv dinners that I usually nuke..plus my leftovers ...yeah I love it since i don't have to run the oven

Hair Dryer..well I do let my hair air dry, but my hair comes out nicer when i blow dry it..plus I would not have gone to work with wet hair (back when i worked) so that has definitly been a great time saver, and is still handy for when i need it..and doesn't take up much space for me..

Now the rice cooker! That wasn't much of a time saver! lol because i can get the same results in my own pot..and that thing took up soooo much space, it was so huge! we ended up giving it away to a neighbor

and man i would be lost without the washer and dryer...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd be lost without the microwave or washing machine (as one poster mentioned, it has to beat a washboard or a rock.) My world could possibly end without my Bunn coffeepot (my favorite of all appliances), since I drink 2 pots a day and I want my cofee QUICK. The computer is really handy and our 2 eleven yr olds use it now to aid them with their homework. I always, always use my crockpot and bread machine and I'd have a flat top if I didn't use the hair dryer to style my hair in the mornings. I couldn't imagine not having a vacuum with so many people in my home.

Now, on the other hand, I'd get rid of the tv's in a heartbeat because I'm just not entertained by them and it's so full of trash. My waffle iron was a huge waste of money and the steamer has collected quite a bit of dust. The portable home spa should be sold in the newspaper since it just takes up space and is never touched and I never use my husbands fancy mixer that he brought to our marriage, it's a pain in the butt to use. I'm sure I could come up with many more examples, but I'll stop now.