Simplifying Life...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Simplifying Life...

It seems as though there is never enough time in the day. Then I think about what I do in any given day and where I can cut things out that are just not that important.

So, I go to work from 8am-5pm each day. In the mornings, I wake up just early enough to get ready and head out the door. In the evenings, I get home around 5:30pm. Usually I make dinner, watch TV, get on the internet, do housework, work out, and go to bed.

Watching TV and internet take up so much time. Maybe it's because I have my DVR set to record ALL my favorite shows. I am taking a look at how many shows I record and how many I can stop watching...

Here's my list of the shows I record: (they are not all on each week)
    1) Days of Our Lives 5 hrs/week
    2) Biggest Loser 2 hrs/week
    3) Private Practice 1 hr/week
    4) Grey's Anatomy 1 hr/week
    5) Amazing Race 1 hr/week
    6) Lost 1 hr/week
    7) Hell's Kitchen 1 hr/week
    8) Big Brother 3 hr/week
    9) Top Chef 1 hr/week
    10) America's Next Top Model 1 hr/week

I have already cut America's Next Top Model. Once this season is over, I won't be watching it again. I think that Hell's Kitchen and Top Chef will also not be making the cut. Lost is ending this season, so that will not be returning. If I only would have never started watching Days of Our Lives! I was between jobs about 4 years ago for 2 1/2 weeks and started watching daytime tv and was hooked. Cutting 4 shows of 10 is a good start.

As for the internet, I need to trim down my Facebook usage. I have become addicted to Cafe World and find myself spending 1 hr or more each day attending to my cafe......If anyone has heard of Farmville, it's the same concept only with a Cafe. I have friended up to 25 people just for the purpose of the game......It is interfering with my work and I spend more and more time on it. It may take me a little time to get rid of that one, but I will eventually to simplify my life.

Anyone else care to share things they plan on doing or have already done to simplify their life??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm lucky, that I only record 2 shows. I can live without watching tv, but the computer is another matter.... I'm thinking of giving myself time limits on the computer during the day. I waste alot of time doing nothing. I'm home all day, and it seems like I don't get anything done. I'll look at my schedule, and get back here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to try to limit my computer time too. I find that setting goals for what I want to get done each day, and setting the kitchen timer for the amount of time I need to be off the computer and working on other things helps me alot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm definitely into simplifying these last couple of years. That's my main goal--making life less complicated. Even more than frugality....but I like it when I can intertwine the two.

Some of the things I am doing---FLYlady. She keeps me from having my head in several different rooms, and on several different chores. Baby-stepping through my chores is so freeing. Simplifies my day.

Another is only going to the store when I absolutely need to. And knowing NEED from WANT.

We are retired, so I don't think much anymore about being 'productive'. The productive phase of my life is over. As long as I do what I need to get done, my day is mine to watch TV, be on the computer, take a walk, knit, whatever. My life was VERY busy before, so I won't feel guilty about how I live it now. This is MY time. I still have my aging dad and dh to care for (among others), so there's plenty to keep me busy enough.

No makeup, short hair, simple clothes style, simple grooming routine. This alone has made my life soooo mush easier. I spend only about 15 minutes in the bathroom, showering/combing/brushing/etc. So if a do some gardening, exercise, sweaty work, I am only a shower away from being right back to normal. I used to spend an hour or more 'fixing' my hair, applying a full face of makeup, dressing 'just so'. Blech! What a waste of my precious time!

I also invested in an electric shaver for legs and underarms. You're going to have stubble the next day anyway, WHY waste all that time, water, $$ on shave cream/blades?? I can shave quickly and fairly closely with an electric, and be on my way. No more standing in the shower, shaving. Nobody's looking that closely at my 55 yr. old legs, anyway, LOL!

I keep rags and cleaning products in all bathrooms and hidden here and there. I can 'quick clean' easily and keep from having to do so much when I deep clean.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I got home today, I deleted Top Chef and Hell's Kitchen from my DVR season recording list. I also have not played Cafe World on FB all day! Then I looked at my e-mail....I had received 10 e-mails today and they were mostly junk that I don't have time or don't want to read. So I chose the ones I don't really need and have unsubscribed from them! It feels nice to get rid of things I don't need anymore.

Now, I'm going to check out one of those books on the gigantic simple living booklist.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am running on 4 days of not playing Cafe World on FB...I just deleted 17 "fake" friends that were solely friended to play Cafe World with.

Feels very freeing to get rid of the clutter in my life and to simplify.

What other ways can we simplify our lives?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have cut out all tv unless a great educational program is on. I will only allow myself to watch the news or educational programs.

Facebook and frugal village - I will NOT live without Frugal Village...it helps me to SAVE money, facebook - I have limited myself to one hour in the morning now.

I get up earlier and go to bed earlier. I find I get the best work done (the most energy) in the morning. I am surprised how much of a difference it has made.

Staying out of stores. I limit myself to only leaving he house to get groceries twice a week. Then I combine all other errands at the same time. This way I am only leaving the property once every two weeks. I realize someone who works outside the home can't do that though.

These seem to have helped me simplify.