Getting Rid of Stuff You Don't Use - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also do this on a daily basis but more so because of the fact WE WANT TO not be materialistic but live with what we need. In the near future we want to travel in our RV/Camper so this also requires being kind of like a minimalist. It was hard at first to get rid of things but I watched a you tuber who said they read a book about how to get rid of things, I forgot the name of it but it mentions something to the pace of: Can I live without this? or can I not? I was able to get rid of a lot of things over the past year and just today I gave away my living room table and end tables and it felt wonderful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There you are! I've been wondering how the big purge was going.

I'm still working on purging our place and sometimes bringing in more than I should.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i find it easier to let go in small chunks. Even downsizing from a larger box of junk to a smaller box by giving away a few things is progress. It helps that so many charities will pick up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I have posted this before, but when DH became sick we sold the house and got rid of almost everything. We were doing the snowbird thing and staying in a furnished condo in the winter and found a furnished condo to rent in VT for the summer. All we had was what could fit in the van and some fabric that was stored at my sister's. I always thought it would bother me but it didn't, not one bit. All I wanted was for my DH to be well. (spoiler alert - he passed away) Things did not matter.

I had been a great one for "I might need this someday." My eyes were opened when a friend, older than me, was cleaning out her mom's house after she died, and told me, she had a room just full of jars. After that, when I wanted to save something, I would ask myself, is someone going to look at this after I am gone and ask, what was she thinking?

Also helps to ask yourself, what is the worst thing that could happen if I got rid of it.? In most cases it's not a very dire consequence.

Also helps to think of someone else enjoying your item. Why keep 12 purses if you can donate some and let other people enjoy them?

Now after 3 years of living in furnished places I am settled down and furnishing my own place. Almost done. For the first few months it was nerve wracking, like I kept thinking, what am I going to do with all this stuff when I go south? But I have gradually gotten used to the idea of stuff again, but I am very choosy about what comes into the house. I have a huge living room and it could easily become a hoarder's paradise. I realize I do NOT need to save everything in the universe that someone is throwing out, that might be useful someday. And I don't need to acquire something because it's pretty. Let it be pretty in someone else's house.

BTW, I am that rare person who DOES want the china - I am using my mom's set that has sat in my sister's barn since 1992 when my dad passed. And I have collected silver to go with it. I really enjoy using it and even my sister liked using it again when she came to visit.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree about getting rid of things a little at a time, DLR. That's why I feel it's all a big process.

I feel similar to almost everything you expressed, Josantoro. Especially about saving everything. I keep thinking about my mom complaining about how her one bedroom apartment isn't big enough for her and how she can't get it organized because there's not room for all her stuff, and then seeing the two-foot high stack of plastic deli containers cluttering up her kitchen counter, among many other similar things, stuff she will never, ever use that prevents her from using the counters for anything but holding junk. It will sit there for years until she moves out of that place, and then someone else will have to deal with it all. I don't want to be like you said, having people wonder what we were thinking to keep all that stuff. And I don't want to force someone else, even if it's someone hired to come in and hold an estate sale after we're gone, to have to sort through a ton of excess junk to get to the things that actually have value. I'll never forget Husby having to give up an entire day of his life breaking down cardboard boxes in Mom's old basement because she kept them all for the fifteen years she lived in that house. Even when it was time to leave that house, she was upset for days because 'someone could use those' and couldn't understand why we didn't have the time or energy or willingness to find that mythical someone who wanted a basement full of old boxes. We still have a ways to go purging our own place but we're getting there. I still want a smaller house if/when we move out of this place and I don't want to wait till it's time to move and then be forced to make choices without time to think things through.

I think the biggest thing that helped us get rid of so much stuff is to give ourselves permission to make mistakes. It's inevitable, and if we discover we got rid of something we should have kept, we replace it without any guilt. We can only do the best we can do, and also circumstances change and what we didn't need sometimes we need when something does change. There haven't been many things we've regretted letting go of. Most things, it's been a relief to have it gone.

The flip side of getting rid of things is not acquiring them in the first place. I'm getting better at that and most times I do okay. But with my latest large project, I've come close to falling off the wagon. I'm getting back under control now though. The original plan was to buy two new kitchen base cabinets to build a new craft table, which I really do need. But after some thought I realized I really hated having the two base cabinets we have in our back porch. The things that need to be in them don't fit. I'm making them into the new base now. They need some modification and repair, and they'll have to be painted too. But I won't have to spend hundreds of dollars on them, plus I get the space back they were taking up in the back porch. I've already moved a different storage cabinet into that space, another repurpose that cost nothing, and we'll give that a try before buying or building something new. I already like that better, which is a good sign. I have most of what I'll need to get the craft table the way I want it, which will use up some lumber in the garage and save money. If I don't have what I need, the plan is to change the plans a little to be able to use what we do have rather than buy new stuff. For a while I was thinking I need a bar stool to use with the craft table, but I have a step stool in the kitchen just steps away, so I'm going to see how it goes to just use that. Less stuff in the house.

I was also thinking about buying an antique sewing machine and cabinet, but decided to move one I already have and which is already rehabbed into the house from my office instead. Less stuff, and I'm not acquiring another project I don't have time for.

I'm happy to have thought about the things I can repurpose rather than buying more things. I'm fairly confident it's all going to work out well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a small house which was made smaller the past 25 years by all of the things we acquired. A "must" kitchen renovation the year before last revealed how much you really do not use. When we started to put things back into the kitchen I looked at everything and each piece was either a must have and went into the kitchen,I know I will use at something in the next year and went on the shelf in the summer kitchen and finally-why do I even have this?This went to the thrift shop.
    This worked so well that I started clearing other parts of the house with the same mindset
    I have been amazed at how much larger the house feels since the clutter is gone.
    A walk around the outside before the severe cold set in showed that the same method could be applied to the yard and garage. Im not sure if hubby will be on board with this plan since that is his territory. I hope he can see how nice it is not to be owned by the things you own.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's kinda how I got started with our place, too, only my sewing room got to be intolerable. I got sick of having to move piles of stuff just to clear a machine so I could do any little thing. It snowballed from there. It took a few years for Husby to get on board but he's fully engaged now. We both have areas that are touchy, so we try to keep our thoughts to ourselves about those and are respectful talking about them. We've done at least two massive purges in our garage and now we're working more on organizing with just a little bit of purging, mixed in like seasoning. Last summer went great and we almost finished giving the garage a complete makeover. I'm looking forward to getting it all done this year. At least I hope it'll work out that way.

I moved the antique sewing machine cabinet into the living room window this afternoon and just love it there. I guess I failed to mention in my previous post that I want it for a plant stand. It looks so nice in that spot, it's too bad I didn't think of it sooner. I'm happy I thought of it now before I bought something else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I listed 25 dvd's on Amazon trade-in and am getting $17.23 in Amazon credit when they receive the items. They didn't want the books I had, but I'll list those on the FB garage sale boards.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I spent 90 minutes sorting papers to shred/recycle/refile. It's a bit better. I need to do the shredding now.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We've really gotten behind on clearing out the junk. I've spent most of 2017 as an invalid and both the house and yard are out of control. I got a little caught up over the summer between surgeries, but it's back again. I'm feeling depressed and overwhelmed by the mess. DH does what he can, the dishes and the cat boxes and says he doesn't want to end up on an episode of Hoarders, but really he'd rather play computer games when he gets home from work. I'm seriously considering hiring someone to come in and vacuum, and clean the bathroom and kitchen. What I really want to do is sweep a lot of it into boxes and haul it to the curb. So frustrated tonight.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I remember when you cleaned out your garage, CH. I have no doubt that you will be able to mow through the house clutter when the time is right and get it whipped back into shape.

I've had times when I brought in a big silver trash can from outside and set it in the middle of the living room. It's amazing how much stuff I found to toss into it when it was just sitting there begging to be filled up. I had a box sitting next to it for recyclable papers, and another box for stuff that needed to be shredded. Getting it sorted amounts to the most work. Once that's done, it's not much work to feed stuff through the shredder or haul it to the curb and put a new bag in the trash can decorating the living room. It worked for me, anyway. Getting the trash out of the way helped a lot to be able to sort through and organize what we wanted to keep.

Hang in there. Your foot is healing every day and I'm confident it won't be long before you're back up to par.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It took us years to clear the junk on top of DH's old car. Fortunately it's not that bad down there, but it's getting close.

Today I cleaned off part of my desk. Stuff has sat for months. I found ~$150- in checks to deposit. I found last year's christmas cards, and as soon as I have time to get the stamps off, that's all going in the recycle. I have a stack of papers to file. There is a stack of mailing envelopes I kept to re-use, and I have pared it down in the past, but that may get tossed as well.

So, a little progress.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sure it did take you a long time in your garage, but I remember how determined you were to get your husband's vintage car dug out so you could get it fixed up for him. You inspired me! That's why I remember.

Good job on dealing with some of it today. Little by little gets the job done eventually.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

tossed 2 pairing knives the handle fell apart on and several old wooden spoon
    In the middle of sending 1/2 a garbage bag to DD. She needs it and I'm still too big
    sending DD 5 pairs of the colored footie socks -new that came w/ my new fleece pj's.

Still plowing ever so slowly thru my dresser drawers as i wash things and the closet too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Had some tortillas in the bottom drawer of the pantry from the summer and decided to change the meal plan to make cheeseburger quesadillas tonight. Clears out the tortillas, uses some of the bajillion shredded cheeses I bought on sale over the past two weeks, and everyone is happy!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast