Getting Rid of Stuff You Don't Use - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dropped off a box of stuff and a small bag of clothes today at Salvation Army. I have a running box downstairs that I put things for SA as well as a bag I keep in my closet for clothes to give. When the box gets full I take it and drop it off.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I too, have a garbage bag I keep putting stuff in and will drop off tomorrow......I have two or three pairs of shoes I wear all the time...in my closet I have another ten pairs I don't wear.....going to drop those off at a homeless camp tomorrow along with some clothes I no longer wear.......it's getting there.....one piece at a time......

While in my closet, I found a tote full of Christmas presents I forgot I had.....my Christmas shopping is done for next year!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, I sold those 42 books and someone picked them up already! And I have someone who offered to take the PC/Mac games, but it hasn’t been confirmed yet.

I also sold an old Coach tote that was given to me years ago as a handmedown and I used for years. Sold it for $25 and they are picking up on Monday.

Dropped off the Decluttr dvd’s that I sold at UPS.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tomorrow, I am giving a car load to a friends niece who just got her own place....throw pillows, dishes, glasses, cups, serving pieces, linens, sheets, blankets, you name it, it's in one of the six boxes....

My old towels I am donating to the humane society.....

I'm getting there slowly.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm finally able to put my old Crock-Pot in the trash. It's way past time. It still works fine but it looks awful with paint flaking off the outside, the plastic lid decided to crack a little at a time for no reason and is now in two pieces, the handles on it are all cracked and ready to break, and the crock is chipped, too. I have a new one but don't like it as well, but it's here so I'll use it. I guess that's not decluttering, exactly, since I also need a bigger one which I ordered from Amazon last night so in effect I'm instantly refilling the space the old Crock was taking up. At least I'm getting rid of the old Crock to make some space for the new one.

I decluttered a chunk of plywood out of the garage to make the three pieces I need for the drop-down ironing board I'm adding to the new craft table, and also cut a full sheet of OSB and a piece of laminate for the bigger tabletop that table needs. I also will be using up a chunk of a vinyl flooring scrap to make another work surface on that table, because this will be a multiple use table for which I want different surfaces. It all helps a little at a time to clean up the garage. The extra storage space in the new table will help a lot to store things we need to have in the house but don't currently have a good space for. I can't wait.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH went through his closet and got rid of some shirts so between him and I, two bags of clothes will be dropped off at SA tomorrow.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

with kids always a thrift store bag or box on the go with at least one big declutter. have a full box downstairs of a mix of knick knacks, dh underwear..still good he just bought a lot of boxers so how much can you stuff in a drawer. some kitchenware. found my old rubbermaid container of rolled beeswax candles. 5 pairs others took for gifts and been burning the rest. decluttered yarn and donated to senior centre and a cause that makes hats and scarves for homeless. ribbons etc too. we gave the big trampoline to the new neighbours in the summer. still lots to go though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, with young kids there's always things coming into and out of our house. Almost all of it is coming from, or going to, people we know personally. Otherwise, our house is in an uncluttered full state. If something comes in, something has to go back out. This results in us not getting too many new things, unless they are improved replacements.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I started off the beginning of 2018 not to bad then it just .... shall we say "ended". Throughout the year I disposed in one way or another of a bit of things but nothing to brag about. I admit I have a hard time getting rid of stuff. Like someone mentioned above I have better luck just doing a few things at a time rather than a massive purge.
    Example... I'm a huge tee shirt person... the kind with writings or sayings on them. I have a ton that are now to small and I"m not stupid enough to think I'm going to ever fit back in them but I can't bring myself to donate/pitch.
    A couple years ago I cleaned out my plastic ware storage containers and got it under control. Now it's "back". I don't have the storage for all of it. Unfortunately, kind of often, I have most of it used at the same time.
    I'd like to keep going with it but it would definitely have to be a few things at a time.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Niko, I have lots of food storage containers, too. I also sometimes have most of them in use at the same time. Mine is Corningware and Tupperware, mostly, and a bunch of vintage canning jars. I also use about 40 of those cheap plastic containers when I make dog food, so can't get rid of those. Storing them is kind of a pain but I have no idea how I would store dog food and single servings of freezer meals if I didn't keep them.

One of my worst things is other types of storage. I love bags. Not handbags, just bags with pockets, different shapes and sizes. I also love tins. It's been difficult for me to get rid of them because I feel like I can use them for storage. But I actually prefer square containers instead of round because they maximize space, and I also prefer storage systems in uniform shapes and sizes, again to max the space. So I have a conflict there I can't compromise. Point being, I think most of us struggle over getting rid of certain things. 😊

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Niko, I have lots of food storage containers, too. I also sometimes have most of them in use at the same time. Mine is Corningware and Tupperware, mostly, and a bunch of vintage canning jars. I also use about 40 of those cheap plastic containers when I make dog food, so can't get rid of those. Storing them is kind of a pain but I have no idea how I would store dog food and single servings of freezer meals if I didn't keep them.
    I'm going to have to go thru them again soon and toss some. Maybe before I go back to work Tuesday. Also need to find a couple tee shirts I "can live without". SOMETHING is leaving this weekend.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSan999 View Post
    Example... I'm a huge tee shirt person... the kind with writings or sayings on them. I have a ton that are now to small and I"m not stupid enough to think I'm going to ever fit back in them but I can't bring myself to donate/pitch.
    I cut the logos or sayings out and am compiling them into a blanket. Once I have enough, I can sew them together, but have someone else do the quilting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have couple bags some clothes shoes other things got tired dusting that got to go soon a friend took the tv was going get rid of a book shelf but about decided keep it and use it to store other things in unless someone come by and say they can use it so now it will be small things that go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I go through the closets and the basement at the end of each year... around Christmas time, courtesy of rounding-up Christmas ornaments, decorations, and things for the season, and all get's dropped-off at the local thrift store.

Always a make me feel good occasion, knowing I am helping others who are less fortunate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I work on this but the real issue is that the rest of the family does not! And I can't touch their stuff. I've downsized a lot and now have to take a mini fridge and exercise bike to get recycled. I may put an ad in Craigslist to see if someone wants to pick them up and get the $ for that. I sold my truck and can't take it. I called 1-800-gotjunk and they wanted $60 just to take the bike!! Whaa?!

I have gotten rid of a lot of books/clothes/misc but would love to ditch a lot more. I donate it all to the Vets or disabled who can resell it. Relatives send us things all the time and they've sent these items to us, like every 6 months. How many flashlights and wristlets do I need? So, they get donated.

I have lovely clothing that I don't wear anymore as I wear a uniform to work. I don't go out or have any need for fancy things. I'll keep some of it, but which? That's the tough part. The oldest has put all of his apartment stuff in the basement and keeps empty boxes. A big area is devoted to his things. I have many storage containers of toys/videos from the kids. I have a big tote of photos from when they were little. I'm thinking of ditching 98% of those. I have totes full of mom and dads stuff and the list goes on.... The sentimental part of me keeps it but the minimalist is battling for less stuff!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast