Getting Rid of Stuff You Don't Use
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Getting Rid of Stuff You Don't Use

Does anyone else (as they get older) want to start paring down? I know this has hit me in the last year. I want to get rid of things I haven't used in years. I have closets that I don't even know for sure whats in them. This tell me I certainly don't need what's in them. My New Years Resolution is to pare down!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's an ongoing process here. DH and I combined 3 households (his, mine, and his parents) when we moved here. We had 2, 3 and even 4 copies of everything. One summer I cleared a pile of junk larger than my car out of the garage. Unfortunately it gets replaced quickly. We have been working on the basement for about ten years now. DH used to collect computers. Then he got into fish tanks. Now it's 3d printers. He once brought home a pallet of 8 dead PC monitors. I can't complain, I'm a quilter and have enough craft stuff to open a store. I used to buy fabric by the bolt, but I cut back a lot a few years ago.

Anyway, we have a recycle bin in the front hall where it is easy to toss magazines, junk mail and boxes. I keep a small trash can in every room so little stuff doesn't clutter up the house. One day "real soon" we're going to tackle the closet under the stairs.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's an ongoing process here, too. Once realized there was no way to organize all the clutter and excess and have the house look decent, we started to get rid of things. It took a while for Husby to come around but he's been on board for several years now. We've purged almost every space in the house, garage, cabin, and camper now, at least once. Things are much better but we're far from done. We're approaching retirement now (we hope) and aren't sure if we're going to move or not. If we do, we will probably downsize to a smaller house. We need to go through every space again and see how much more stuff we can let go of.

I know the house will be a lot easier to keep clean and tidy if we can get rid of enough stuff, and that's become an incentive for me.

It's a process. This stuff didn't come into the house all at once and it's not going to leave that way, either. We've made enormous progress but it's a constant struggle to keep getting stuff out and not to bring too much stuff back in.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do this constantly.
    I used to run the home organization threads here, years ago, and even though I no longer do that, I continue to be committed to decluttering.
    However, with a full-time job and four kids, it is easier said than done, at times.
    I actually just started a decluttering challenge for 2018 at Frugal SOS, and am committed to getting rid of the extras that are not useful around here, as I have really been longing for a more simple and minimal home environment.
    I just listed five journals that I had laying around, but had never used, on our FB garage sale boards, and I have joined a reading challenge that challenges you not to buy any books until you read all of the unread books on your shelves. As a reader and as a writer, books and journals are my kryptonite with regards to bringing things into the house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the first 10 years of my marriage we accumulated things, the next 10 years I spent organizing them and the next 10 years was trying to declutter. I am now trying to simplify my house, life and minimalize my belongs. I have been working on this for 2 years. It started with getting rid of a big entertainment center in my living room and continued from there. I will only buy small furniture now, things that DH and I can move easily as we get older. I hate having to ask for help or rely on other people.

We also are planning on downsizing when we move one day so I keep making rounds of my house and getting rid of things that I know I won't be moving with us. I do not touch DH's stuff though so there is a lot that he needs to work on although he is not motivated to do it. I keep warning him that he will be packing and moving all his crap himself! We live in a house that is 400 square feet bigger than our last house and I have at least 1/3 less things. DH has 2/3 MORE crap.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Going through the entire kitchen this week and will be thru Feb. no doubt. This summer we all but emptied DD's room-like 2 dumpsters!
    I went through all the Christmas stuff last year and reorg. the bsmt cleaning supplies
    Still need to hit the garage this summer and the MIL apt this spring.
    I hope to repaint and floor the kids old rooms but time and money only go so far??

So a resounding yes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's an ongoing process. I don't want to move a lot of unnecessary junk into a small place (senior living apartment-type) when it becomes necessary. I realize the practicality of this, hubby does not. I guess he thinks it will magically disappear when he points (that's a radio commercial that plays frequently around here.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

After giving away a lot of things in Dec that i was gathering up when i would be cleaning over the summer and fall i was thinking i need to put sack and box back in guest room and when i see something toss it in i don't expect any over night guest before next summer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have hoarders on both sides of my family...and I am a full participant. It is a daily battle against the build up of stuff that I could probably use for something someday.... I'm trying to take stuff out of the house before I bring new stuff in, and not shop unless I actually NEED something, but it's tough.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I come from a couple of families with hoarding tendencies, not full-blown hoarders, but bad enough, so I understand that. It really is hard to change the bad habits.

It doesn't help that I'm a whiz at repurposing stuff and always think I can make great stuff from bits and pieces of junk. TBH, I actually can make cool stuff from junk, but I'm slowly learning I don't have to, just because I can. It's fun though. I just have to keep reminding myself I have enough to do already. These days, I have to have a real need or run across something that's so cool it's irresistible AND I have a place to put it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have discovered that no one wants my "stuff." So, it's hard to get rid of it.....I have lots of crystal an glassware.....I can't give it away!!! No one wants it....the young crowd are all into disposable and "country" theme stuff.....no one sets their table with their good china anymore....because they don't want or have good china.....it's sad.....I have one young friend who appreciates fine things and I've been giving things to her.....but I have a household full to go......my daughter says she doesn't want anything....I am afraid if she doesn't take ONE thing, she is going to be sorry when she is older......I know the only thing I have of my Mom's is her nativity set and I cherish it and use it every year......I won't be around so I guess I shouldn't worry about it.....

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure no one is going to want my stuff when I am gone, too. For now I donate to a charity shop and let them worry about whether anyone wants it or not.

Ironically, I wanted my mom's stuff when I was younger, because I didn't have anything. She wouldn't give me anything, not a single pot or plate. I had to scrounge yard sales for everything. And now that I have a house full of stuff she is begging me to take things. I don't need it and I don't have room. So the grandkids will end up with it all, if it doesn't just go to the curb.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We dealt with most of Mom's stuff when she moved out of her house four years ago. She still has an apartment but I learned when we did the house to say no to almost everything, even things I wouldn't have minded having. I just can't take it all.

Nobody will want our stuff either and I'm okay with that. We've pared down tons of stuff from our relatives because it was just too much and we had no use for it or space for it. I did take Mom's china and will most likely get her silverware at some point. If not, we have my IL's silver set. Mom is leaving me all her dishes and I would never tell her but I'll be getting rid of most of them. Again, no space or need.

We're hoping to downsize at some point, so we're trying to declutter our own stuff. That makes it easier not to take someone else's.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We just downsized to a single wide mobile home. We had to get rid of so much stuff it was unbelievable. Best thing we ever did though. So freeing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Take it to some antique type used shop dealers and let them buy it from you or put it in their shop on consignment. There is a market for that stuff!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast