Clutter came in handy when a group was in need this weekend...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Clutter came in handy when a group was in need this weekend...

I try to live simply and declutter, but then again, I come from 2 long lines of hoarders. Last weekend I had the chance to enjoy my overstock AND be generous. THere is a protest in Spokane WA by homeless people against a no sleep/sit law (no sleeping/sitting on sidewalks, but many shelter beds were lost this year, etc). A call went out for help with warm clothes and blankets. A friend asked me to help her drive some stuff up from her church so I went through my warm-things stock and found I could easily give up a blanket, several pairs of warm sox, some unworn undies (didn't like the fit and had bought them at a price lower than the price of gas to take them back), sweatshirts, extra jeans, gloves, shirts, and a bra (again, didn't fit and cost to return...oops). I was nice to have 3 bags of stuff to help people stuck out in the cold for a worthy cause, but also embarrassing to live in 135 square feet and have THAT MUCH too much stuff. Also made me grateful for my affluence.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieTrudeau View Post
    I was nice to have 3 bags of stuff to help people stuck out in the cold for a worthy cause, but also embarrassing to live in 135 square feet and have THAT MUCH too much stuff. Also made me grateful for my affluence.
    Maggie .. you live in 135 square feet? I'm not being negative but may I ask how? Do you have a thread on it? That's fascinating.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you could help!

I recently donated bags of clothing/books/misc to the Vietnam vets. It's easier than a garage sale for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's great that you could help, but don't forget one of the main hoarder categories is "Someone might need it someday".

And 135 s.f.!! I want to hear about that too! That would fit in my living room.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had a thread over at the Dollar Stretcher.
    this is a wee shed I had built on skids to try out the location for my real house (which will be a whopping 20x28' on the inside! Massive) and to live in until I can get the bigger home done. The outside measurement of the shed is 8x20. 4' is porch for wood and taking off muddy boots so that leaves 8x16. The walls are 2x6 framing so I lose most of a foot in all directions which gets me down to 7x15 = 105 plus a 3x7 loft/shelf to sleep on. that adds 26 square feet so we're at 131. So I guess I was estimating a bit high.
    No plumbing but a spigot from my own well outside and a solar set up to run the well and charge a computer. Composting bucket toilet. Little wood stove a dude made from a hot water heater tank. This will be my 4th winter in the shed.

My job comes with a gym membership so I shower on the way to work in the winter. In the summer there is also an outdoor solar shower.

I have a storage unit of stuff for the big house and swap out my clothes seasonally.

131 square feet is a surprisingly roomy space especially in the custom shed with tons of windows and a high roof.

There are some outdated pics on my blog: https://simplicityandfrugality.blogs...andom+pictures
    I use a different screen name over there. Don't be confused.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

maggie you were a tiny home pioneer. trendy before you knew it. how is the new place coming along

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the new place is on hold til spring. I've got a deposit in with the builders but they (and I) got busy and procrastinated and didn't get the slab dug and poured. Oh well. I expected this. I've insisted they come out in April and do it and have started implying that they should put up the post-n-beam and roof as well and take payments from me on that rather than cash up front like for the foundation and slab. The payments would assuage my pissy-ness over the delay this year. And it would get the slab protected until I can afford to get the real walls up. I guess 2018 was all about getting the permit. That took a ton of time/energy/money.

And yes, April is too early, but if I get them to agree to April, we may hit it in June. There are no other builders I trust to do the unique construction so I can't be too big of a pill about things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maggie, I just looked at the pics on your blog and your shed [tiny house] is awesome! I love the shows about tiny houses and would love to have one but doubt it'll ever happen as it's cheaper for me to live where I am than it would be to have to buy a tiny house, find somewhere to put it at and then have to pay utilities and such on top of that.

Still, I find them so cool though I am sure I'd need a bit more room than you have. lol

Good luck with getting things done so that you can get what you need to get done this coming year!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you Scarlett. You are right about the cost! It's not cheaper.

My place, it's not really a "house" like you see on TV or in books. NO kitchen, no plumbing, one outlet and the solar inverter. No insulation (ok, the floor has some because I wanted to test the all-wool batts and they are lovely but spendy). LOTS of bugs. I keep a piece of foil on my tea or coffee mug not to keep the heat in, just because I'm sick of drinking flies. In the winter they move inside. I have sticky traps on the window sills and when I get it over 60 degrees and the sun is out, the sticky traps are black with flies within an hour. They all go dormant as the fire burns down and it gets cold, then buzz away when I stoke it back up. Frequently stink bugs drop on me while I sleep.

Also, the composting bucket toilet and lady urinal system(no plumbing!) is not for everyone. I find it very easy to maintain, but I like to compost and know that with the big house I will have a regular bathroom again. I don't use the outcome on the food gardens. It goes in the forest.

It's not really "cheaper" to live tiny. Just different. You can rent tiny houses at airbnb if you want to try them out.

What kills me is that I lived in a 20' (or so) old ratty camper for a year and a summer or two and NO ONE around here found that "charming" or "trendy". THAT was cheap! 1100$ for the camper and I got about 18months of housing out of it. (now many mice and my garden tools are housed in it). People thought I was "trash" when I lived in there. As soon as I got the cute shed, people started driving on to my property, past the "no trespassing" signs to try to talk to me about how cool I was. Cripes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It sounds like you've really went back to the absolute basics ... as much as I admire those who can do that, I'm really not one of them. Heck, I don't even like camping due to no bathrooms, running water and so on inside.

That sucks about how you were thought of when you had your camper and lived in it but then when something comes along that is "in style" [as promoted by the shows on it] then they have a different opinion about you. And, to drive past the no trespassing signs you had posted, well - that was just plain rude!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In Idaho, driving past 'no trespassing' is dangerous. I'm the only one in the neighborhood without a loaded gun by the door.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here in NW Pennsylvania I see plenty of No Trespassing signs but most are people posting their land for people not to go and hunt on it without invitation or permission to do so.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieTrudeau View Post
    the new place is on hold til spring. I've got a deposit in with the builders but they (and I) got busy and procrastinated and didn't get the slab dug and poured. Oh well. I expected this. I've insisted they come out in April and do it and have started implying that they should put up the post-n-beam and roof as well and take payments from me on that rather than cash up front like for the foundation and slab. The payments would assuage my pissy-ness over the delay this year. And it would get the slab protected until I can afford to get the real walls up. I guess 2018 was all about getting the permit. That took a ton of time/energy/money.

And yes, April is too early, but if I get them to agree to April, we may hit it in June. There are no other builders I trust to do the unique construction so I can't be too big of a pill about things.
    at least there is a plan! hard though with dealing with people when you want it done but you can really order them about.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Martha: Since I want a unique structure, the first one of its type built in the county, I need a contractor who is willing to do it and take the risk that it won't work (it will...I paid for engineering and consultations and it will work) so there is really just the one contractor. They kind of know that they are the only option I have. And they also know that I pay cash up front which they like AND that I'm visible from the main highway and already the shed I live in, which they built, has been great advertising for them. They've sold several based on people seeing mine. So...there is mutual appreciation and frustration.