Taking it to the next level
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Taking it to the next level

Some background.
    My husband and I have been folling a simple living lifestyle for over 17 years.

During the past two years we have downsized our home and we are living in a mobile home on rented land with a river view in a quite neighborhood on the outskirts of our city. We are about a 35 min bike ride from city center in one direction and 35 min ride to farm land in the other. It is very peaceful here, with just enough community within our neighborhood to keep us happy and socially connected.

We have eliminated many superfluous items such as furniture, books, plants, clothing and kitchen items and are in the process of reducing activities that require us to attend board and planning meetings....ending our committment to two groups at the end of the calendar year. All of which aligns well with our simple living/minimalist lifestyle.

My husband now works from home 50% of the time with us sharing one car. This requires that we bike more places and since the car is a lease, we are more intentional about how often we just take off and drive somewhere. To making doing things by bike easier we have invested in traditional and insulated pannier bags. Going car light has been a blessing and something we wish we had considered doing sooner.

The next step for me is making a choice to cut back on my exhibition schedule. For those who don't know me, I am a pen and ink artist and generally exhibit my work 10 months out of the year. Currently I have work in one museum (one state away), one gallerly (one state away) and one local gallery in my city. September will bring a weekend show in the next town over and Oct-Dec my work will be in a group exhibit at one of the local hospitals.

I am finding that preparing my work (matting and framing, photographing, scanning, updating website etc..) meeting with gallery owners, establishing and maintaining relationships with gallery owners and other artists (involves a bit of travel) doing promotional work for news outlets and social media, and entering juried shows, entering competitions etc.. to be taxing, stressful and it takes time away from the pure enjoyment of creating. I find myself at a point where I now think about what show I need work for and producing work for specific shows, rather than just creating for the sake of creating. The joy of the creative process is being lost in the shuffle of the business of doing art.

In talking with other professional artists, the business of doing art is not something any of them enjoy. They too find it stressful and time consuming in a way that makes them keep the next exhibit in the forfront of their minds as they create. So my experience isn't unusual.

That said, the next step I feel I need to take is to remove myself from the active art scene and focus on creating. I will be stepping down from art organization memberships, from working on art commitees, and keeping a full exhibition schedule. I have two exhibits scheduled already for next year. A two person show in April (next town over) and the September weekend show (next town over. Those will most likely be my only physical exhibits for 2020. I may enter a couple of online exhibits and competitions to keep my name and artwork out there, but the business of those is typically handled by the organization hosting the online exhibit/competition and they do all the promotional work for you. Plus there is no need for matting and framing work, just high quality photo files.

Now to my question. Being an active gallery artist has been a part of my identity for so long, I am not sure how to deal with the response my stepping back will get from gallery owners, other artists and the art community in general. Has anyone, for the sake of simplifying their lives, stepped back from what people identified you as? How did those in the field respond? How did you feel? Did you loose your identity or regain it?
    BS#1 Done
    BS#2 Done
    BS#3 Done
    BS#4 Ongoing
    BS#5 Done
    BS#6 Done
    BS#7 We are here!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

artist,

I have no experience in your field or in what you are needing help with but I did want to say that I think it's a wonderful idea and that I am sure that it'll be so much better for you and your health (way less stress).

Wish I did have some advice to give you but ... I don't. You did say that your identity for so long has been one of an active gallery artist. Well, you can still do the art but just with out all of the stress and other things you don't like having to worry about to get done before shows, etc.

Perhaps I'm babbling (okay - so I'm pretty sure I am) but I just want to say that I admire you and I'm sure things will work out just fine. (Hugs)

Have a wonderful day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

artist: giving up an identity-type activity can be hard. Once upon a time I was a college professor. Though I loathed most of the job duties and the stuff one had to do to be a professor...it was still hard to give up. Getting canned helped! Well, not getting tenure. Anyway, I find that I can NOW in a government job for an Indian Tribe, do most of the enjoyable bits of professoring...teaching and community work, without the crap bits like faculty meetings, faculty dinners, publishing unimportant nonsense in journals no one reads. It took me about 2 years to get used to the new identity but ultimately the shift was healthy and simplified my life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Once an artist, always an artist. I was a professional dancer and dance teacher until I turned 47 or 48. I had to have both of my hips replaced. It was such a shock. I decided not to return to teaching ballet or training. I want these hips to last. Your spirit is still the same. You are just channeling your talent in different ways. I started a blog, did more magazine writing on dance, and became a soap maker. I sell on Etsy. It helps to let all of the stressful activities fall away. I just bought a cabin in the mountains, and am so much happier being in nature, and spending time hiking, going to the lake, and relaxing. I am slowly releasing responsibilities and people that I no longer want. It's too hard to stay in touch with everybody.