Frugal Village Forums banner

Do you have areas in your life that are robbing you from the simple life

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Sara Noel 
#1 ·
There were many when I first started on the road to a simple life.

~clutter everywhere
~tv & the commercials
~woman's magazines especially Country Living

When I'd see the Country Living magazine each month, I'd purchase it and drool, wanting things, never being content with what I had. In fact, when we had cc, I racked up huge amounts just to get some of the things I seen in that magazine or heaven forbid, some of the things I seen on commercials.

I no longer do that and am content with what I have.

What has robbed you from being content or beginning your journey into simple living? Have you even thought about that?

#2 ·
My number one answer would have to be possessions/"things"! I still have too much. I don't know why or where I got the idea years ago that more was better. My parents have a lovely home, just beautiful and it was never full of "stuff", everything had it's purpose. That's where I want to be. I am going room by room and am almost there but still on that journey. Mind you, it is getting easier as I see how much better our home looks and feels. It is so nice coming down in the morning and the kitchen is tidy, the living room is organized etc.

I am the type of person that cannot go to malls or shopping just on a whim, I have realized that. I go every once in awhile when we NEED something but not just to go because I would bring something back whether we need it or not. I have come to realize that just because it looks great in the store it might not in my home and that the wonderful picture looks great in the store because their wallpaper, hutch and everything else that they have surrounding it compliments it. I get it home and yuck!! KWIM?

Lastly I had a friend who robbed me of my simple life......she could never figure out why I thought the way I did or what I wanted from life. She would always want to go out to eat, shop etc....and would actually get mad if I didn't go. It ended up it wasn't a good relationship anyhow but I did realize how easy people can convince us that we aren't "adequate" (even though we are)

#3 ·
Mmmm...this is very interesting...:)

I would have to say, that clutter does rob me of the simple life I long for.

What you are saying about magazines, CJ, is so true. I also drool over all those beautiful homes, organized moms, etc...geez, I have been trying for sooo long to be organized. Maybe it's impossible to organized too much stuff...

I definately have a problem with saving ALOT of things for futur pojects. The way I see it, if I'm honest, there is no way I can achieve all I want to do in this year or the other. lol I know I have to cut down on my choices. I need to REALLY chose what makes me happy and do it...leave the rest for someone else or for later...

#4 ·
I cut out magazine subscriptions to all but a few homeschooling magazines. The "women's" magazines were the worst. They were always loaded with advertisements and stories about the latest gadgets, clothing styles, home decorating ideas, etc..

Another huge "robber" of my quest for a simple life is being too busy. I find that our family just has too many things going at once and that we seem to go through seasons of our life when we are always on the go. I get stressed out by it and I totally shut down. :( This month for example is so busy already with commitments every weekend and 4 nights during the school week. Part of this is because my kids are taking a hunter's safety course and that goes for 2 weeks, but then it will be over and they need to take it if they want to go hunting this year. With the boys all having jobs outside the home working for various people in our community, it kind of puts a kink in our plans to just get away or spend a quiet day at home.

Third are EXPECTATIONS, both my own and others! I have a huge problem with this. I'm the kind of person that needs "down time". With our lives being so busy, I have to carve out time for us. If we have an open weekend, I want to spend it with my own little family. However, we have relatives that want us to do big family things with them whenever possible. I really do try to get some family time in with them, but sometimes the boys have previous commitments that make it impossible to be at all the family functions. Last weekend my BIL wanted to see the twins for their birthday. Great! We arranged to go up and see them after church that morning. We then get a call saying they are going to be going on a motorcycle ride and will just meet us at home after church (church is 1 1/2 hours away for us). So instead of going to church, we stay home to clean house and be ready for them. They show up 1 1/2 hours late!!! :ugh: Then my SIL has been begging for the boys to come and spend the night with them, so we make arrangements to have that happen next Friday when we will be out of town. We get a call back from her saying that they decided that they would just come and stay here at our house with the kids. Now I have to deep clean everything and I am worried about our pregnant cat who does not like other people at all and freaks out. She is due to have babies anytime now and we are really worried about how she will handle having strangers in the house including a 3 year old. I'm thinking that my hubby may have to call his sis and tell her that because of the cat, staying here will not be a good idea.

#5 ·
hmsclmom said:

Then my SIL has been begging for the boys to come and spend the night with them, so we make arrangements to have that happen next Friday when we will be out of town. We get a call back from her saying that they decided that they would just come and stay here at our house with the kids. I'm thinking that my hubby may have to call his sis and tell her that because of the cat, staying here will not be a good idea.
Debbie, you are too generous.;) Please do tell your dh to phone his sis. Looks like you're having so much people over your home. You must be tired to have so many visitors...Ask to send your boys there, again...Good luck!:)

#6 ·
Thanks Lucie,
I think I am going to have him do that. This was suppossed to be our stress free weekend and I can't see trying to get everything ready for them, making meals ahead of time so they don't raid everything (they are junk food addicts and BIL eats just junk most of the time) and being stressed about the cat. Plus, I want to be able to just come home and relax after being away for the night and not worry about rushing home to entertain and make dinner for everyone.:( I love them dearly, but I'd love to get together with them another time when things are not as crazy around here.:)

#7 ·
It would have to be possesions. I am moving for the second time in 4 months and have decided that as soon as I get somewhat settled Iam going to have a yard sale.

#9 ·
I've done really well getting things as simple as possible. I enjoy looking at nice things though and still want more. I just don't feel that pressing need to have it like I used to. Now it's more like oh that would be nice, but if I don't ever-no big deal.
I find what robs me most is not taking time for myself and placing pressure upon myself to do things.
I still have the desire to accomplish something larger than I have so far and can't seem to just accept my place in this world the way it is now. It's not that I feel there is anything wrong with me now. It's just a feeling that I was meant to do something greater and more purposeful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.