Results 1 to 15 of 32
02-19-2004, 09:04 AM #1
A wonderful list of books on simplicity
This list comes from:
The Simplicity Resource Guide [www.gallagherpress.com/pierce].
1. Andrews, Cecile. Circle of Simplicity: Return to the Good Life. New York: Harper Collins, 1997.
2. Aslett, Don. Clutter's Last Stand: It's Time to De-Junk Your Life. Cincinnati: Writer's Digest Books, 1984.
3. Bender, Sue. Plain & Simple: A Woman's Journey to the Amish. New York: Harper, 1989.
4. Bennett, Hal Zina and Sparrow, Susan J. Follow Your Bliss. Upper Lake, CA: Tenacity Press, 1997.
5. Bennett, Hal Zina. Write from the Heart: Unleashing the Power of Your Creativity. Novato, CA: New World Library, 2nd edition, 2001.
6. Berry, Wendell. The Unsettling of America: Culture & Agriculture. San Francisco: Sierra Club, 3rd edition, 1996.
7. Berthold-Bond, Annie. Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living. New York: Three Rivers Press, 1999.
8. Blix, Jacqueline and Heitmiller, David. Getting a Life: Strategies for Simple Living Based on the Revolutionary Program for Financial Freedom from Your Money or Your Life. New York: Viking Penguin, Revised 1999.
9. Bobel, Chris. The Paradox of Natural Mothering. Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 2001.
10. Boldt, Laurence G. How to Find the Work You Love. New York: Arkana, 1996.
11. Breathnach, Sarah Ban. Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy. New York: Warner, 1995.
12. Briskin, Alan. The Stirring of the Soul in the Workplace. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler, Reprinted 1998.
13. Brown, Lester R. Eco-Economy: Building an Economy for the Earth. New York: W.W. Norton, 2001.
14. Brown, Lester R. Plan B: Rescuing a Plant under Stress and a Civilization in Trouble. New York: W.W. Norton, 2003.
15. Burch, Mark A. Simplicity: Notes, Stories and Exercises for Developing Unimaginable Wealth. Gabriola Island, B.C.: New Society Publishers, 1995.
16. Burch, Mark A. Stepping Lightly: Simplicity for People and the Planet. Gabriola Island, B.C.: New Society Publishers, 2000.
17. Cameron, Julia. The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity. New York: J.P. Tarcher, 10th edition, 2002.
18. Campbell, Jeff. Clutter Control: Putting Your Home on a Diet. New York: Dell Publishing, 1992.
19. Czech, Brian. Shoveling Fuel for a Runaway Train: Errant Economists, Shameful Spenders, and a Plan to Stop Them All. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2000.
20. Cox, Connie and Evatt, Cris. 30 Days to a Simpler Life. New York: The Penguin Group, 1998.
21. Dacyczn, Amy. The Complete Tightwad Gazette: Promoting Thrift as a Viable Alternative Lifestyle. New York: Random House, 1999.
22. Dappen, Andy. Shattering the Two-Income Myth: Daily Secrets for Living Well on One Income. Mountlake Terrace, WA: Brier Books, 1997.
23. Davidson, Jeff. Breathing Space: Living and Working at a Comfortable Pace in a Sped-Up Society. Chapel Hill, NC: Breathing Space Institute, Revised 2000.
24. de Graaf, John and Wann, David and Naylor, Thomas H. Affluenza: The All-Consuming Epidemic. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler, 2001.
25. de Graaf, John (ed.). Take Back Your Time: Fighting Overwork and Time Poverty in America. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler, September, 2003.
26. Dlugozima, Hope and Scott, James and Sharp, David. Six Months Off: How to Plan, Negotiate, and Take the Break You Need without Burning Bridges or Going Broke. New York: Henry Holt, 1996.
27. Doherty, William and Carlson, Barbara. Putting Family First: Successful Strategies for Reclaiming Family Life in a Hurry-Up World. New York: Owl Books, 2002.
28. Dominguez, Joe and Robin, Vicki. Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence. New York: Penguin Books, Revised 1999.
29. Drake, John D. Downshifting: How to Work Less and Enjoy Life More. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler, 2001.
30. Duany, Andres and Plater-Zyberk, Elizabeth and Speck, Jeff. Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream. New York: North Point Press, 2001.
31. Durning, Alan. How Much is Enough?: The Consumer Society and the Future of the Earth. New York: W.W. Norton, 1992.
32. Edwards, Paul and Edwards, Sarah. Working from Home: Everything You Need to Know about Living and Working under the Same Roof. New York: J.P. Tarcher, 5th edition, 1999.
33. Elgin, Duane. Promise Ahead: A Vision of Hope and Action for Humanity's Future. New York: Quill, 2001.
34. Elgin, Duane. Voluntary Simplicity: Toward a Way of Life that is Outwardly Simple, Inwardly Rich. New York: Quill, Revised 1993.
35. Fogler, Michael. Un-Jobbing: The Adult Liberation Handbook. Lexington, KY: Free Choice Press, 2nd edition, 1999.
36. Foster, Richard J. Freedom of Simplicity. New York: Harper, 1998.
37. Fromm, Erich. To Have or To Be? New York: Continuum, Reissued 1996.
38. Fox, Matthew. The Reinvention of Work: A New Vision of Livelihood for Our Time. New York: Harper San Francisco, 1995.
39. Gregg, Richard. The Value of Voluntary Simplicity. Wallingford, PA: Pendle Hill, 1936.
40. Hall, Colin and Lieber, Ron. Taking Time Off: Inspiring Stories of Students Who Enjoyed Successful Breaks from College and How You Can Plan Your Own. New York: Random House, 2nd edition, 2003.
41. Hawken, Paul and Lovins, Amory and Lovins, L. Hunter. Natural Capitalism: Creating the Next Industrial Revolution. New York: Back Bay Books, 2000.
42. Hayden, Anders. Sharing the Work, Sparing the Planet: Work Time, Consumption, & Ecology. London: Zed Books, 2000.
43. Hochschild, Arlie Russell. The Time Bind: When Work Becomes Home and Home Becomes Work. New York: Owl Books, Reissued 2001.
44. Jones, Kirk Byron. Addicted to Hurry: Spiritual Strategies for Slowing Down. Valley Forge, PA: Judson Press, 2003.
45. Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Wherever You Go There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life. New York: Hyperion, 1994.
46. Kasser, Tim. The High Price of Materialism. Boston: MIT Press, 2002.
47. Keeva, Steven. Transforming Practices: Finding Joy and Satisfaction in the Legal Life. Chicago: McGraw Hill/Contemporary Books, 1999.
48. Lappé, Frances Moore and Lappé, Anna. Hope's Edge: The Next Diet for a Small Planet. New York: J.P. Tarcher, 2002.
49. Lara, Adair. Slowing Down in a Speeded Up World. Berkeley: Conari Press, 1994.
50. Lazear, Jonathon. The Man Who Mistook His Job for a Life: A Chronic Overachiever Finds the Way Home. New York: Crown Publishers, 2001.
51. Levering, Frank and Urbanska, Wanda. Simple Living: One Couple's Search for a Better Life. New York: Viking Penguin, 1992.
52. Lindbergh, Anne Morrow. Gift From the Sea. New York: Pantheon Books, Reissued 1991.
53. Lippe, Toinette. Nothing Left Over: A Plain and Simple Life. New York: J. P. Tarcher, 2002.
54. Lockwood, Georgene. Complete Idiot's Guide to Simple Living. Indianapolis, IN: Alpha Books, 2000.
55. Long, Charles. How to Survive Without a Salary: Learning to Live the Conserver Lifestyle. Toronto: Warwick Publishing, Revised 1996.
56. Longacre, Doris Janzen. Living More with Less. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 1980.
57. Lotter, Donald W. EarthScore: Your Personal Environmental Audit & Guide. Lafayette, CA: Morning Sun Press, 1993.
58. Luhrs, Janet. The Simple Living Guide: A Sourcebook for Less Stressful, More Joyful Living. New York: Broadway Books, 1997.
59. Luhrs, Janet. Simple Loving: A Path to Deeper, More Sustainable Relationships. New York: Penguin, 2000.
60. Maté, Ferenc. A Reasonable Life: Toward a Simpler, Secure, More Humane Existence. Pflugerville, TX: Albatross Publishing, 2nd edition, 2000.
61. McCamant, Kathryn and Durrett, Charles R. Cohousing: A Contemporary Approach to Housing Ourselves. Berkeley: Ten Speed Press, 2nd edition, 1993.
62. McCoy, Jonni. Miserly Moms: Living on One Income in a Two-Income Economy. Minneapolis, MN: Bethany House, 3rd edition, 2001.
63. McKenna, Elizabeth Perle. When Work Doesn't Work Anymore: Women, Work, and Identity. New York: Bantam Doubleday Dell, 1998.
64. Meadows, Donella H. and Meadows, Dennis L. and Randers, Jřgern. Beyond the Limits: Confronting Global Collapse, Envisioning A Sustainable Future. Post Mills, VT: Chelsea Green Publishing, Reprint 1993.
65. Merkel, Jim. Radical Simplicity: Small Footprints on a Finite Earth. Gabriola Island, BC: New Society Publishers, 2003.
66. Michael, Michele. The New Apartment Book. New York: Clarkson N. Potter, December 1996.
67. Michaels, Bonnie and Seef, Michael. A Journey of Work-life Renewal: The Power to Recharge & Rekindle Passion in Your Life. Evanston, IL: Managing Work & Family, Inc., 2003.
68. Miller, Ph.D., Timothy. How to Want What You Have: Discovering the Magic and Grandeur of Ordinary Existence. New York: Avon, 1996.
69. Mills, Stephanie. Epicurean Simplicity. Washington: Island Press/Shearwater Books, 2002.
70. Moore, Thomas. Care of the Soul: A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life. New York: Harper Perennial, Reprinted 1994.
71. Morgan, Marlo. Mutant Message Down Under. New York: HarperCollins, Reprinted 1995.
72. Nearing, Scott and Nearing, Helen. The Good Life: Helen and Scott Nearing's Sixty Years of Self-Sufficient Living. New York: Schocken Books, Reprinted 1990.
73. O'Neill, Jessie. The Golden Ghetto: The Psychology of Affluence. Milwaukee, WI: The Affluenza Project, 1997.
74. Pierce, Linda Breen. Choosing Simplicity: Real People Finding Peace and Fulfillment in a Complex World. Carmel, CA: Gallagher Press, 2000.
75. Pierce, Linda Breen. Simplicity Lessons: A 12-Step Guide to Living Simply. Carmel, CA: Gallagher Press, 2003.
76. Princen, Thomas and Maniates, Michael and Conca, Ken (eds.). Confronting Consumption. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2002.
77. Rechtschaffen M.D., Stephan. Timeshifting: Creating More Time to Enjoy Your Life. New York: Doubleday, 1997.
78. Reid, Lisa. Raising Kids with Just a Little Cash. Santa Fe, NM: Ferguson-Carol Publishers, 1996.
79. Robbins, John. Diet for a New America: How Your Food Choices Affect Your Health, Happiness and the Future of Life on Earth. Novato, CA: H J Kramer, 1998.
80. Robbins, John. The Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and Our World. Berkeley: Conari Press, 2001.
81. Robinson, Jo and Staeheli, Jean Coppock. Unplug the Christmas Machine: A Complete Guide to Putting Love and Joy Back into the Season. New York: Quill, Revised 1991.
82. Robinson, Joe. Work to Live: The Guide to Getting a Life. New York: Perigee, 2003.
83. Ryan, John C. and Durning, Alan. Stuff: The Secret Lives of Everyday Things. Seattle: Northwest Environment Watch, 1997.
84. Schor, Juliet B. The Overspent American: Why We Want What We Don't Need. New York: HarperCollins, 1999.
85. Schor, Juliet B. The Overworked American: The Unexpected Decline of Leisure. New York: BasicBooks, Reprinted 1993.
86. Schut, Michael (ed.). Simpler Living, Compassionate Life: A Christian Perspective. Denver, CO: Living the Good News, 1999.
87. Schumacher, E.F. Small is Beautiful: Economics as if People Mattered: 25 Years Later...With Commentaries. Point Roberts, WA: Hartley & Marks, 2nd edition, 1999 (first published in 1973).
88. Segal, Jerome M. Graceful Simplicity: Toward a Philosophy and Politics of Simple Living. New York: Henry Holt, 1999.
89. Sherlock, Marie. Living Simply With Children: A Voluntary Simplicity Guide for Moms, Dads, and Kids who Want to Reclaim the Bliss of Childhood and the Joy of Parenting. New York: Three Rivers Press, 2003.
90. Shi, David E. The Simple Life: Plain Living and High Thinking in American Culture. Athens, GA: Univ of Georgia Press, Reprinted 2001.
91. Sinetar, Marsha. Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood. New York: Bantam Doubleday Dell, Reissued 1989.
92. Sinetar, Marsha. Ordinary People as Monks and Mystics: Lifestyles for Self-discovery. New York: Paulist Press, 1986.
93. St. James, Elaine. Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways to Regain Peace and Nourish Your Soul. New York: Hyperion, 1995.
94. St. James, Elaine. Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Things That Really Matter. New York: Hyperion, 1994.
95. St. James, Elaine. Simplify Your Work Life: Ways to Change the Way You Work So You Have More Time to Live. New York: Hyperion, 2001.
96. St. James, Elaine and Cole, Vera. Simplify Your Life with Kids: 100 Ways to Make Family Life Easier and More Fun. Kansas City, MO: Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2000.
97. Susanka, Sarah. The Not So Big House: A Blueprint for the Way We Really Live. Newtown, CT: The Taunton Press, 1998.
98. Tatelbaum, Linda. Carrying Water as a Way of Life: A Homesteader's History. Appleton, ME: About Time Press, 1997.
99. Taylor, Betsy. What Kids Really Want That Money Can't Buy. New York: Warner Books, 2003.
100. Thomas, Kim. Simplicity: Finding Peace by Uncluttering Your Life. Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman, 1999.
101. Thoreau, Henry David. Walden and Other Writings. New York: Modern Library, 2000.
102. Urbanska, Wanda and Levering, Frank. Moving to a Small Town: A Guidebook for Moving from Urban to Rural America. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1996.
103. Wackernagel, Mathis and Rees, William E. Our Ecological Footprint: Reducing Human Impact on the Earth. Gabriola Island, B.C.: New Society Publishers, 1995.
104. White, K.C. Lilabean: A Story of Simplicity for Grown-up Girls. Elizabeth City, NC: Bean Pot Press, 2002.
105. Whitmire, Catherine. Plain Living: A Quaker Path to Simplicity. Notre Dame, IN: Sorin Books, 2001.
106. Winter, Barbara J. Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work that You Love. New York: Bantam Doubleday Dell, 1993.
107. Zalewski, Angie and Ricks, Deana. Cheap Talk with the Frugal Friends: Over 600 Tips, Tricks, and Creative Ideas for Saving Money. Lancaster, PA: Starburst Publishers, 2001.
108. Zelinski, Ernie. The Joy of Not Working: A Book for the Retired, Unemployed, and Overworked. Berkeley: Ten Speed Press, 3rd edition, 1997.
02-19-2004, 09:05 AM #2
This is a great list if your serious about simple living. Many of these books I've read, a few I wouldn't read. Hope you enjoy and happy reading!! If you have anymore books you've found interesting on simple living, inner simplicity, please add them.
Many of these books can be picked up from your local library. I usually try to do that first, before I purchase a book.
02-19-2004, 09:16 AM #3
Holy COW! WOW what a list!
Several of my favourites in there, and plenty I've never heard of, and need to get moving on.
Thankyou for that CJ, I can print that list out and take it to the library and get them to order stuff in on interlibrary loan if they dont' have it.
Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
10-04-2004, 06:20 PM #4
~The complete idiot's guide to simple living / by Georgene Lockwood
~Frugal Living for Dummies, Deborah Taylor-Hough
~101 Ways to Simplify Your Life, Paul Borthwick
~The Best of Living Cheap News, Larry Roth
~Simplicity, Kim Thomas
~Use Less Stuff, Bob Libenfield
~Cheap Tricks, Andy Dappen
~The Simple Life, Larry Roth (excellant book)
~Simplify Your Life, Elaine St. James (and she has other books) (she has some wonderful ideas in her books and I also find her books very thought provoking.)
10-04-2004, 06:25 PM #5
~Six weeks to a Simpler Lifestyle, DeGrote-Sorenson, Barbara
~Keeping Life Simple, Karen Levine
~Use Less Stuff - Robert Lilienfield & Rathje William
~Simpler Living - Compassionate Life, Michael Schut
~Everyday Simplicity, Robert J. Wicks
02-14-2006, 09:57 PM #6
- Join Date
- Feb 2006
- Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
- Blog Entries
- Rep Power
what a wonderful list! i have three of the books listed and each of them are dog-eared and re-read! lol
1. circle of simplicity - easy to understand, very informative, inspiring
2. 30 days to a simpler life - wonderful task-oriented book, motivational
3. the joy of not working - thought provoking, enlightening excercises
i printed off the list of books and i'm definitely going to explore a few more. thanks so much for sharing this list!
06-11-2006, 05:04 PM #7
- Join Date
- Aug 2005
- Canadian prairies
- Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
- Blog Entries
- Rep Power
"Tis a Gift to be Simple"
"Shopping for a Better World"
"Simpler Living, Compassionate Life" (really a group study)
"Living More with Less"
02-23-2007, 06:40 PM #8
Note: I recently posted this message on another thread, but I thought it fit better here.
A few days ago I checked out Material World from the library. While not specifically a book about simplicity, it really motivated me to reassess what I think of as a necessity and to appreciate all the luxuries I take for granted.
The book explores, through photographs and short essays, the lifestyles of "average" citizens of countries throughout the world. It's interesting to compare family sizes, energy footprints, and food costs as a percentage of income, among other things.
It's fascinating peek into the lives of our peers all over the world. Furthermore, it inspired some really wonderful & insightful conversations with my young daughter, who sat for hours last night, paging through the book and asking questions about what she saw.
I can't recommend it highly enough.
07-27-2008, 02:30 AM #9
Wow, Crikey that is one humungous list. And thanks too I will definately check some of them out.
09-15-2008, 10:29 PM #10
- Rep Power
How to live on almost nothing and have plenty by Janet Chadwick
This is a wonderful book but you should check it out of the library. The cheapest used copy I've found is $17.90 and I have seen copies at $75.00
03-04-2009, 11:55 AM #11
'The Original Girls Handy Book" by Lina Beard & Adelia Belle Beard. Originally published in 1887. I love the crafts projects, especially the holiday ones. The book explains the how many of the holiday crafts and traditions were brought from Europe, the country of origin and the original seasonal significance. Most everything is made with scraps or things found outside.
06-15-2009, 01:19 PM #12
- Rep Power
The Elaine St. James books are the ones that started me on this journey. I like her writings.
They get a little redundant (too many books on the same thing) but the original 'Simplify Your Life' says it all.
11-13-2009, 12:19 PM #13
- Rep Power
Awesome list, Thanks!
11-13-2009, 01:02 PM #14
- Join Date
- Apr 2008
- Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
- Blog Entries
- Rep Power
Wow! Thank you for such a comprehensive list! And all the adders! Keep em comin! Always looking for new books
11-25-2009, 11:47 AM #15
By thriftybargainmom in forum FreebiesReplies: 2Last Post: 07-13-2007, 02:25 PM
By homesteadmamma in forum ChristmasReplies: 3Last Post: 11-26-2006, 05:53 AM
By barky586 in forum For Sale or TradeReplies: 0Last Post: 06-18-2005, 09:43 PM
By cody15650 in forum Household notebooks and home manualsReplies: 3Last Post: 03-03-2003, 03:57 AM
By homesteadmamma in forum Homesteading and gardeningReplies: 2Last Post: 01-20-2003, 07:06 PM