Why can't we slow down?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Why can't we slow down?

I just finished reading a book titled The Pelee Project by Jane Christmas. its about a young mom who decided to take a spiritual retreat for 3 months on Pelee Island with her daughter.

Christmas says in her book:

It was the comment about my slower speech that particularly resonated with me. I found that, when I slowed down my speech, I could slow down my world and make everything less urgent. I noticed I answered the phone more slowly. Mere months ago, I would pick up the receiver with an abrupt "H'lo?" I now sounded out each syllable - "Hel-lo?" - or even said "good morning".

I don't know why we are all so afraid to slow down. We have elevated busyness to a golden attribute. If people hear urgency in our voices, they know we are busy and hence important. Slow speech conveys laziness and mental imparment. Speek slowly to someone and you'll detect a hint of impatience in his or her demanour because you are deliberately forcing that person to slow down.
    Why is it so hard to slow down do you think? Why can't we take a day without doing anything? Why can't we take the time to listen to the silence do you think?

Thoughts....

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am looking forward to reading this book, thanks! The above quote is great and oh so true...I'm sure we've all had that feeling when talking to someone who is on the run....we could say anything and they would agree...just to carry on!

I am getting much better as far as slowing down and sitting in silence BUT have far to go! I think we feel we must be "doing" something all the time and to just sit means nothing is getting down....but oh to the contrary....we are renewing our spirit and our soul. I love first thing in the morning when there is hushed silence except for the birds chirping, it brings such a peaceful feeling and great way to start the day. I honestly think that slowing down and simplicity in our lives takes work but the results are amazing. It isn't something that we can say, "Ok, I've simplified, I've slowed down, that's it forever".....we must make choices everyday to live the way we choose.

I was thinking also....when we ask someone, "How are you?", are we really listening when they answer us and concerned with their answer or are we hoping they say OK and carry on?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't why we have a hard time slowing down...but I sure try sometimes. I myself talk too quickly many times or speed through my dishwashing or speed through anything I do here at home...I want to get so fast from one thing to another....because in my head I think I want to have time to rest after....but then I am just exhausted to even rest and enjoy it....you know what I mean?.....

This book sounds good. Is it a story or a guide type of book, like The Simple Living Guide?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm going to have to read this book. I look at our calendar and it is jam packed with all kinds of appointments, lessons, meetings, commitments. There are rarely any blank days with nothing filled in. I'm so tired of running everywhere. Yesterday, having finally slept well for the first time in months I felt so at peace. We did not have anything pressing that needed to be done. We took the day slowly. Our lives revolved around resting due to Josh having broken his elbow and all of us having to slow down. I had been driven to the point of complete and total exhaustion over the previous 2 days with 45 minutes of sleep total and my body and spirit needed that "down time". I'm going to cut back our commitments even more because our family cannot keep going at this pace. Our mental and physical health need to take a bigger priority than other matters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Debbie....hearing that your calendar is so filled and you are so busy, reminds me of myself until last year. I was engaged in so many activities...I volunteered a few times a week at school, I volunteered driving young mothers to a special coarse for many weeks, I volunteered in a community newspaper, I never missed any school meetings, plus taking care of my aunt....then I got exhausted....and I admit I am still recupurating from this exhaustion. I am so happy to have cut out all those committements...I still have trouble slowing down in my home, but still...I am working on it. The problem is---how can we really slow down with a growing family? My boys keep me soooo busy....I guess that's why we must try to chose our commitements since we always have our family to take care of, no matter what.

Debbie, do try to slow down. Don't wear yourself out. Be careful dear friend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Love this thread.

Why can't we slow down?

Well one reason is it's counter to the way most of us have been raised, do it faster, do it better. Faster equals better????? or does it????

A lot of things around us re inforce the idea of faster being better. Fast food, fast cars, 15 second commercial breaks, video games, efficiency experts, fast checkouts at the grocery, expedited lineups at the airport for business class travellers and more.

Our appliances re inforce it too.

dh calling brb

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I cancelled one of my commitments for this week and may cancel a few more! It felt so good and my friend Donna totally understood and seemed relieved also (it's for a class we teach together). She and I are both constantly running and we agreed that we and our families needed to slow down a bit. She's just as tired of all this "rush, rush" as I am.

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good for you Debbie! I am proud of you!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What a great thread! I'm only voicing an opinion to be subscribed to it LOL ~ I wish I knew the answer to the question, but I don't.

I know it sounds awful, but one of the most peaceful times in my life was also one of the most stressfull When Lucy had her first stroke, they moved her to an ICU many miles away from where we lived, so I moved in with her!!! We spent close on 3 months in that hospital, (although I did come home sometimes to see my other kids and just 'get away') but life was very structured, with meal times and lights out etc. There wasn't much to do except be there for her and although it was heart-breaking and not something I wish to go through again (although I have twice more!) It was somehow comforting and serene.

I'm going to give this a great deal of thought ~ Life is just 'wrong' the way we/I live it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh Debbie, I'm so glad you found some way to slow down.

Yes, you're right, Bev....when we run around like this everyday...it's not right...we need to slow down and *see* and *live* life. I try more and more to do this...It's not always easy, I admit.