Have you ever took time for a walk in the woods
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Have you ever took time for a walk in the woods

Have you ever took time for this. Just to be in the exact moment, to truly enjoy nature at its absolute best. When I first began to do that, I would walk so fast, the kids couldn't keep up to me. (btw - it doesn't have to be a forest!). I then began to slow down and the very first think I noticed was the sounds surrounding me. My ears perked up as I heard the birds singing, I could hear the crickets and even the frogs. I could begin to hear leaves snapping in the fall when walking on them. I began to say "listen", hear that!

I began to notice trees, their leaves and shapes. Along the way, I soon began to notice grasses, plants and what shape they were and I began to really slow down. From walking a couple of miles in about 30 minutes, it now began to take me well into 2 hours. Soon I was noticing animal tracks and was finding the odd bird or two that I had never seen before. I was beginning to see nature through the kids eyes because they had noticed so many things that I didn't have time to notice before.

My crowning achievement was hearing a frog croak. It sounded so different than the others and so I waited and waited and waited. I watched and there climbing a tree was a frog - the most beautiful green I had ever seen. It was a tree frog. I had waited it out and was rewarded.

Have you ever done this, slowed down your pace of life to be rewarded by learning to enjoy the present, to be rewarded by seeing something you would never had seen had you kept at the speed you were going. Have you ever slowed down your life to hear the sounds surrounding you, other than the everyday noise we hear all the time. Have you slowed down enough to sit quietly and patiently wait. Try it, you just might like it.

Thoughts on slowing down your pace of life?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do this while walking on the beach. I just block out everything else and focus on the sounds, the smells, the feel of the sand, etc. I like to sit and just watch the waves roll in (and on a good day I get graced with seeing a pod of dolphins ). It's so invigorating and refreshing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kahana, I'd love to be there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Come on down any time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love going to the nature center. Ours has a few separate routes. My favorite runs along the river. We go as a family and always have the best time and I always feel incredible after spending a day there. It's great because it's not just trails, but lots of open fields and small ponds. Can look over into the river and see fish swimming about.
    I especially love pointing out all the birds, flowers, leaves, and trees to my son. He loves to pick up small branches and just carry them with him. Watching him pick flowers brings tears to my eyes every time. It's just the most perfectly beautiful moment.
    I am thankful for the lifestyle I enjoy now. Before marrying Gabe, my life was such a ratrace that I would actually awaken out of a dead sleep thinking I was falling asleep at the wheel. It wasn't pretty.

Sara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh took me for walks every day we were camping. Being a "city girl" I never had expereinced nature before. Now, I want to experience it every day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well as you may have guess from my title I live on a bluff overlooking the river. It is a very rural setting surrounded by woods.

I am a big nature walker and animal observer. I have regular bird feeders and hummingbird feeders throughout the yard. I sit and watch the squirrels and chipmunks sneak food too.

Being outside gives me a feeling of peace and contentment. No matter how the day has been if I go out for a walk or just sit on the porch things just seem to go away for awhile anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have almost 5 acres of woods on our land. Right now, I have a hard enough time walking on flat surfaces (you know, that whole center of gravity shift you get during your 3rd trimester), but dh is always bringing ds (will be 3 next month)for walks through the woods. DS loves to point out all the ferns, trees that have fallen- he too finds a stick and carries it around with him. DH comes back all excited that he saw deer tracks in the snow, or found some old rusty can or bottle from 50 years ago.

Our driveway is about 400' long, woods on either side. We also have grass growing on either side of it, which we completely stopped mowing because there's a ton of wildflowers growing in the grass. Seems like a new bunch blossoms every week. I was excited this spring to have found a patch of lady slippers in the woods behind my clothesline. The beauty of nature is really a wonder to be seen by all.

Laura

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh & I always loved walking in natural areas, to give the children a love for it too, the kids & I made "field Bags" we made them out of old jeans like those purses we made as kids. They each got a pair of binoculars for Christmas. The bags have a variety of things in them. Whistle (To blow in an emergency) a water bottle, snacks, peanuts or popcorn for the critters, magnifying glasses, (for looking up close at nature) We made "Nature Field Guides" copied and pasted different info from the internet on to my print program, print on card stock, cover with clear contact paper, punch holes in the side and put together with keyrings. The info included, local animals, plants, to avoid !! (Hemlock, P.Ivy, P. Oak, ect.) and animal tracks. I used some old water bottles, put in 2 oz of plaster of Paris, when a track is found, pour enough water in the plaster bottle to make a batter consistency plaster, shake and pour on track. Now get out the snacks or binoculars and wait about 15 minutes for the plaster to dry. Dig it up and they have a great prize from their adventure. We also have made our own walking sticks. find a stick a couple of inches taller than your shoulder, scrape off bark, cut out shapes from clear contact paper (Moons and stars are what we used) apply to stick and cover with a stain/ varnish. remove stickers and drill a hole thru the stick near the top (2 or 3 inches from top) add a strip of leather or cord on hole. You'll have a great stick. All of these things make for a big adventure ! My 6 yo thinks we are on a big adventure everytime we go out with our stuff and they have the tools they need to really learn and appreciate nature.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

During my 2nd yr of college, I lived 3 blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and a boardwalk...it was off season - not beach weather AT ALL but it was the MOST peaceful place! I would walk the board walk with the salty air and hear the wind blowing and the waves crashing, an occasional bird.

I miss that sooo much! It's too hectic now and no place really close by to take walks like that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ahhhhhhhh I live in the woods right on Lake Michigan during the summer months. There is nothing like seeing the wildlife wake up in the morning while sitting on your glider on the deck. I hear the first bird talks and listen to the deer rustle in the woods, as they slowly rise and shine! I watch the chipmunks and squirrels come out to feed and play I always thank God for letting us have this very special place to relax and enjoy.