How would you go about decluttering your mind and thoughts?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question How would you go about decluttering your mind and thoughts?

Could you sit for 1/2 hr. or more and just listen? Could you sit or would thoughts be running through your mind constantly. Would you be worrying about things not getting done or about what needs to get done?

For the past 2 years I've been working on this and I can now focus completely on quiet for 1/2 hr. If it becomes a longer period, I struggle still with thoughts running through my mind. I want to get to the point of being able to just sit in quiet and listen, to go for a couple of hours and just enjoy the quiet. I'm not there yet but its taken me 2 years to get to where I am today.

When I first started this, I couldn't sit for 30 secs. without wanting to do something or feeling guilty because I wasn't. Thoughts ran through my mind constantly and I had to really work on being quiet and still.

Have you ever tried doing this? Have you accomplished even a wee bit of time just being quiet?

Thoughts anyone?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have done this. I call them my "mindful moments". I either sit alone or lie down and just shut out the world. I try to focus on something peaceful. There is mind/body connection that can truly help to de-stress. I don't normally like to compare it to Yoga, but it is quite similar to Tai Chi. I like to just listen to myself breathe and be aware of my breathing. I started out with 10 minutes. (which at first felt like forever) and can now do half an hour.
    I feel energized afterwards. It forces me to live in the moment and accept things. I find that it's especially helpful when I am feeling blah, stressed, or even have a headache. I'd like to do more guided imagery.
    I think it takes time to get to where it really feels good and is a part of your daily routine. I find that first thing in the morning and before bed are easiest for me. (two 15 minute intervals)
    A good starting point for anyone interested would be to grab a handful of grapes or an orange slice. Take the time to look at the fruit. Think about the color, the beauty of it, how it grows from seed, how profund food actually is. The richness of it's flavor and textures. You can then eat it and take your time enjoying and savoring it. Following it as it goes down your throat.
    I learned some of these things in my Bradley classes when I was pregnant with my son. I found it was a wonderful way to keep me in the moment. I think you can find mindfulness in the smallest mundane tasks if you know how to seek it. I like to refer to them as whispers.

Sara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well i think my big problem is i think too much. The only time i can actually do it is when i am in bed at night then i can meditate so deeply i fall asleep.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob Dixie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This reminds me of the Bible verse when God says, 'be still and know that I am God". I have so much trouble just being *still*. Thanks for the thought provoking post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a very hard time to sit still and quiet for long...I have the guilty feeling that comes over me very easily...

I need to work on that, because deep down, I know I deserve to relax and have quiet time to myself. One of the reasons I know I have a hard time with this, is because while growing up, I was often yelled at if I was sitting watching tv or just relaxing...my dad would get so upset. My mom wanted tme to play, but 5 minutes before my dad came home, I went in the kitchen to *do* something with mom, or else...he'd be VERY mad.

Oh well...Cj, you give me hope that I can end up being able to sit quietly and still feel good about myself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had never given this much thought but I will have to work on it. I seem to always have something running through my head, even if it is something as mundane as the grocery list or thinking what chores need to be done. I will try to devote some time and attention to working on this.

Thanks CJ, for another great post. You are wonderful.

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh CJ can I relate! This is something I have just recently started working on. It is very hard for me; like you said, within 30 seconds my mind is remembering something I need to take care on.

I need to make sure I have nothing pressing that needs to get done, have the kids occupied, and I go outside on my sundeck for my quiet reflection time. I am trying for 5 minutes but I'm not there yet; I'm still working on it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have tried this SO many times! I'm so useless at it LOL.

I work on nervous energy and even when I am 'still' I foot tap!

I can do about 5-10 minutes so far and I've been practicing a few years too!!!

I guess some of us are really SLOW learners LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I want thoughtful time to sit and reflect, I listen to music......

If I want something mindless to do, I watch network T.V. .......

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is difficult for me but I am trying. Thoughts race through my mind when I am trying to be still and savouring the moment. My mind wanders very easily so this has definitely been a challenge. I also struggle with the fact that I feel I should be "doing" something not "just sitting there" which I know isn't right but again it takes time to aquire a new "habit"! My goal is half an hour! Oh and to add.....I think if I ever sat quiet for half an hour with freeing thoughts I might just fall asleep!!