Suggestions needed, Dog Poop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Suggestions needed, Dog Poop

Hello! I struck a deal with my teen that she would be paid $10 a week to clean up backyard of dog poop. She was thrilled of course for the money at first and now the newness has worn off. She no longer does it on a regular basis causing the backyard to become very, very, nasty.

When I first brought the deal to her I told her that I could pay someone else to do it or pay her and she agreed to take the job.

Do I set a consequence for not doing it or just turn around and pay someone else the times she doesn't do it?

I was doing a "natural consequence" when this first started happening in which she would only be paid for the week she did it. So $10 for the job, and if she waited too long and ended up doing 3 weeks worth for only $10 that was her natural consequence. But now its gone on too long. I fear someone will complain very soon.

Paying someone else will be more expensive and I don't want to do it myself as that doesn't give her any sort of "missing out on the money" feeling. (compared to watching someone else do her job for money) To be honest, I seriously hate to do it which is why I offered to pay her.

Please give suggestions, and I love creativity and try to follow the Love & Logic parenting but I'm stuck on this one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have any advice. Just hugs. My teenage son doesn't stick with his chores and he misses out on the money.

Our dog goes out in the mornings when it is still dark and does his business in the small woods behind our house, and again at night when it is dark. We wait until dark because of the leash law. When he does go in the yard he sticks to one place. My dh takes care of it.

Could you instead pay your dd to walk the dog to do his business. Just make sure it's not in someone elses yard.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Its four dogs. They walk but don't do their business, sounds odd I know but its how I trained them. When we walk its fast and exercise then they potty at home.

I knew this was coming, I just really believed that she would stick to it and she really did for awhile, then with the snowstorms she had excuses and maybe that got her out of the habit? How do you negotiate money with someone who apparently isn't missing the money, ha! I considered charging her for the task NOT being done but I didn't know how to, well, justify that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What stuck out to me is that you "struck a deal" with your teen, which sounds more like she could do it or not, depending if she wants the $10.

I don't really see how you can set any consequence to this. Is she getting money elsewhere (another job)? Are you giving her money "just because" when she wants to go out with friends? (If so, definitely stop that.)

You could make it a mandatory chore and give her consequences if she doesn't do it. Or can you find a neighbor boy who would be willing to do it?

Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

how old is she exactly?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes you are right. I set myself up by making it "available option" instead of mandatory chore that she would be paid for. Hm.

She's 16 and doesn't have a job yet. Good suggestion to stop paying for extras but I'm usually broke anyhow so that will be easier to stop doing as I haven't been able to offer much money for that anyhow.

She's doing it tonight as I insisted it be done, but am feeling like I did set myself up for failure and she's probably feeling like, "hey, I thought I could do it if I wanted to and if I don't then I just don't get paid."

At one point I did ask her if she was tired of doing it and wanted me to hire it out and she told me that she still wanted to do it and for a couple of weeks started up again. Then stopped again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    Hello! I struck a deal with my teen that she would be paid $10 a week to clean up backyard of dog poop. She was thrilled of course for the money at first and now the newness has worn off. She no longer does it on a regular basis causing the backyard to become very, very, nasty.

When I first brought the deal to her I told her that I could pay someone else to do it or pay her and she agreed to take the job.

Do I set a consequence for not doing it or just turn around and pay someone else the times she doesn't do it?

I was doing a "natural consequence" when this first started happening in which she would only be paid for the week she did it. So $10 for the job, and if she waited too long and ended up doing 3 weeks worth for only $10 that was her natural consequence. But now its gone on too long. I fear someone will complain very soon.

Paying someone else will be more expensive and I don't want to do it myself as that doesn't give her any sort of "missing out on the money" feeling. (compared to watching someone else do her job for money) To be honest, I seriously hate to do it which is why I offered to pay her.

Please give suggestions, and I love creativity and try to follow the Love & Logic parenting but I'm stuck on this one.
    I don't know about Love & Logic parenting - I'd pay someone else or do it myself. If you're asking the question, it means that she's probably not doing a good job and you've asked her and she's wanted to do a good job. But it's certainly not working for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I had a similar problem with my son, I told him this...."Either get paid to do it today, or do it for free tomorrow....you decide".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Samigirl View Post
    When I had a similar problem with my son, I told him this...."Either get paid to do it today, or do it for free tomorrow....you decide".
    Loved this one......

I would set a schedule.......she does it every "x" day........and THEN gets paid.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Samigirl View Post
    I agree with this one. Don't make it an option, but give the $ as a reward if done when told to. Soon she'll learn to do it on time because either way she'll have to do it. No ifs, ands or buts. Good luck. I have 2 teenagers at home. It's a daily battle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It sounds like it could be a time management issue.

Around here (and when I was growing up) things were prioritized -- schoolwork, chores THEN free time. Chores and schoolwork could be flip flopped depending upon season. (an outdoor chore like doggy duty would come first because it gets dark early in the winter).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

forget the money part.. make it her thing to do.. mine all have things to do around the house for the house, and family. i tell them that is part of being and living together.. and if she doesnt do it nicely then....oops, no cell, no tv, no computer.. gosh i got a whole list to do away with.. my sons fav is dont do it and you can go play outside..lol.. (no video games)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our original schedule, that she agreed to, was Sunday at noon. I am really leaning towards the "do it on schedule for pay or the next day for free" method. Because if I hired someone else I would expect them to do it on the date/time requested.

And maybe if we do have something known-planned during the time/date we agreed on then she has the option to do it the day before, same time, for pay but not the day after.

YOU ARE ALL GREAT!! Thank you for the support on this and the ideas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What are her other sources of money?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    What are her other sources of money?
    That's all. Until she gets a job. Well, she gets birthday and Christmas money from family and used to babysit here and there but in general she doesn't have money. She has a bf that pays for all their outings so in our day to day life she doesn't need money. We have food at home for her to take for lunches, I don't buy lunches so she doesn't have lunch money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast