What unmitigated nerve! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That is unbelievable. But at least Chloe is starting to see the kind of person he really is and on her own, she wouldn't believe it otherwise.

I can't imagine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Karen, Steph has a savings account at a local bank that her dad went with her when she opened it and had it set up to where a parent MUST be with her, show ID, and sign with her when she withdraws money. In Kentucky it's called a "kyutma". Check into this in your state. Of course, having an ATM card is a different issue. We didn't get Steph one because we wanted her to THINK before she withdrew money instead of just being able to suck it out anytime.

Funny story, because I was at work when they opened it, I was unable to be added to the account and since she never withdrew any money we never worried about it. Then, dh was gone for a week and she wanted some of her money. Even though the people at the bank know me very well they weren't able to authorize a withdrawal. I ended up giving her the money out of my checking and then she repaid me when dh came home and went with her. No need for me to get upset, because I'm glad her money is safe.

My stepfather conned my Granny (great-grandmother) when I was a preteen to get the money out of my and my sisters' accounts that she started when we were born. We had gotten horses and he told her he wanted to be able to put up fence so that we could graze them. What he left out was that he took MOST of the hundreds that we had and paid off his back child-support. I've always had a personal issue with any parent that will steal from their child.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Poor Chloe. It's too bad she has to learn what a jerk her father is. My father was the same way and I know exactly how that feels. I'm glad she still has her money, though.

--Michelle

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you do not wish to switch or don't have time, I worked for a bank and we could set limits on how much was used on an debit card, this was daily cash withdrawls AND spending maybe you could give the bank a call and see if they offer the same. Given 24 hrs the limit could be brought back up in the case she needed to use more than the limit that was set. Hey I'm on board for a lynching I have some fustration with my ex and seeing how yours is just as big of an azz as mine I'm not picky. I'm glad he didn't get her $$ and I loved the way you handled it with her. Though I think it was sad dad couldn't even spring for a losey gift for the party grrrr. Strike it up as a lesson a hurtful one for her bless her heart but next time she'll know.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

About that lynching... have passport, will travel.

I know it may be a PITA, but what about shipping her money to an account over the border (in the US)... or something online? For 'quick' money, she can get it from you and you can move the money over.

I have nothing to say about your ex... you already know how I feel about him!

I am glad Chloe did the right thing - eventually. Sad that she had to feel as if she had to do it at all.

As a former deadbeat-daddy's little girl, I wouldn't have believe anything Mom said about him, and I didn't discover what a true wanker he was until I was 15... I knew earlier that he was pond-scum, but had no idea how low on the evolution chain he was until then.

Let's hope Chloe has made her own discovery and helps Rachel down the road.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That stinks. You need to put the money in another bank that he doesn't know about and lock up all information to get to it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Daisygirl View Post
    Shall we all form a lynch mob?
    I'm in.....I can't even believe a father would do that to his children!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Woooo - my ex better run if we all get after him!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What a pig! How sickening. I would close the account and roll it all into savings in YOUR name, and keep that money for Chloe. He's going to record all the info so he can dip into it on-line any time, so you need to close the account altogether. What is he spending money on that he needs to do this to her own daughter? And how much is in her account anyway?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry to hear this!

Can you put some of that money in a savings account in her name? Or put it in a 'fixed' savings account for, for instance, a year and get a higher percentage? Or state shares? In the Netherlands you can ever so often lend your money to the state for a fixed period, they pay a good percentage and are guaranteed to pay back your money - no risk involved. I think the amount of money is quite high for a 12-year old to be just 'hanging around' in an easily accessible account. Maybe 100 dollars would be enough for her to have ready access to?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Siebrie View Post
    Sorry to hear this!

Can you put some of that money in a savings account in her name? Or put it in a 'fixed' savings account for, for instance, a year and get a higher percentage? Or state shares? In the Netherlands you can ever so often lend your money to the state for a fixed period, they pay a good percentage and are guaranteed to pay back your money - no risk involved. I think the amount of money is quite high for a 12-year old to be just 'hanging around' in an easily accessible account. Maybe 100 dollars would be enough for her to have ready access to?
    I agree. Perhaps now would be a good time to discuss the nature of a savings account and mutual funds, too.

On another note, in a year or two she might need to know about what's reasonable to expect/put up with from a boyfriend and eventually husband so she doesn't get involved with a guy like her dad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123