Can I share my thought here...
    Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Can I share my thought here...

I don't own a board but this is just my opinion/suggestions. I was just wondering if this board could just narrow down topics and not have so many threads/catagories.

I took a break from here and now it just seems so confusing just to look/read something. Why can't we have just one forum just for challenges, one forum just for food and not break it into apple's and pressure cookers, bread making, etc.

Obviously we know this board is about being frugal. Why can't we just have one forum for all money matters, debts.

Plus the sigs are way over the top here and it makes the forum look sloppy.

And way too many stickies for sure that I get confused by. If the stickies and topics are that important, they will keep getting bumped so they will remain.

I just think this forum would look neater if all the subjects was in a certain forum without 22 thousand places to post almost the same subject.

Gah...Please don't hate me!!! I beg you!! I am humble now.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have some of the same issues along with wondering why there are so many topics to wade through here that have nothing to do with frugality, but it's not my board, so I don't feel my opinion is of any consequence. I feel my choices are to put up with it or leave, and I'm still on the fence regarding that decision.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just use the " new posts" option at the top. saves me time and I don't have to wade thru everything. Some people use the " real time" option in the View link at the top of the page. If I want to know something and am looking for the info here I use the search function. I agree that some of the sigs are HUGE! and do waste band. BUT, it ain't my board so I have no say. I love the place anyways. SO refreshing from all the hate filled boards and the flaming and bashing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sorry but this should have been posted in the:
    Site Rules
    Policies and Procedures
    Proposals for Consideration
    Motion to Consider a Proposal for Consideration
    subforum

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Why not just visit the forums that interest you then? Or do "view new posts" as thefrug suggested? Or use the ignore function to ignore the forums you're not interested in reading?

I agree about some of the sigs being a bit too long, but c'mon now. If I were the owner of this site, I would be hurt by this complaining. Why not PM Sara or Gabe with suggestions rather than make complaints like these?

This board is a LOT of work, and it makes me sad to see people say that it's "sloppy" or that other topics other than frugality are unwelcome, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Palooka one thing you can do when new posts is cluttered? Click on the forum you *don't* care about, and when in that forum, click "Forum Tools -> Mark This Forum as Read"

Then load New Posts again and that forum will be gone from the list.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i personally love the board and yes it can be 'overwhelming & confusing' at times...but if you don't try to read every little post and just stay with the ones that truly interest you ..you can filter out alot....

i too start with the 'real time' thread but i back up a page or two into the 'today's posts' and just pick the relevant ones to me...then i jump on into realtime after i have gotten caught up and run from there....

i have my subscribed threads that i enjoy the most (challenges & other interesting things that i want to stay on top of)...that i get thru my cp....

and while everything here is not of interest to 'me'...i have to remember that the posts that i think are of no importance are obviously important to other people...and the diversity of their topics and their opinions mean something too...and sometimes when i have 'caught-up' with what i choose to read i go 'outside my own box' and read those posts....many times my former opinions are proven quite wrong.....and at least i have that option to read other things...

some of the other forums that i have found keep it so strictly regimented and boring that its not 'enjoyable reading'....i might as well go read a book about the same topics....there is no 'real human' interaction amongst each other....i enjoy and look forward to the 'honest' responses from the great group of people that sara & gabe have managed to assemble....

and yes...some sigs are quite long...but i also realize that while i don't read every single one of them line by line....others do....and i think that would be unfair to take that away from them....maybe it makes it look more sloppy to some...to others it puts the 'human touch' back in...

bottom line in my opinion....if this forum makes itself look like all the others....then we have no reason to 'stand out' amongst the crowd...and another thought...based on the volume of readership & participation (both by members & visitors) and all the newbies joining in each & every day.... something must be working right....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Personally, I think the forum is great the way it is. There are so many of us on the board who have been brought together by our frugality, but have many other things in common, that do and don't relate to frugality. And I love the fact that the board gives us the option to share the things that we love and get advice on things that are not just frugal related.

I have made alot of good friends here. And I honestly think that if the board was limited to only frugal topics, it wouldn't be as interesting and I wouldn't have gotten to know everyone as well as I have.

I would suggest to simply read the forums that you are interested in, and browse through the rest. I think there is no way to please everyone, when there are this many members on a single site. There will always be someone who isn't happy with something, but Sara and Gabe just can't please everyone all the time, and I'm sure they do the best to keep the board running how they feel comfortable!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I came here after years of posting on another site. It became so mean-spirited and regimented that I gave it up. I LOVE that we have some freedoms here. We can have siggys and decorate them up to suit us. I love the different topics so that I don't have to wade through every post in a general topic to find what I want. I can go straight to the What's For Dinner Tonight thread without digging through all the food or cooking posts to find it, etc.

Gabe and Sara, you do a great job here! Please don't change the forum! As someone else said it has the real "human" side to it and I love that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can definitely narrow it down and I do ALL the time. I just condensed gardening and homesteading not long ago. You can also turn off signatures, so they don't bother you. In the future, feedback is to be sent to me and not posted on the forums. It's against our terms of service.

I do stickies by request. I also create forums by request and if there's enough interest.

I could make FV about 10 topics and while it would seem that would be less confusing, it's more confusing. You wouldn't be able to find a post that was made just the day before. The search isn't 100% reliable.

I will not be condensing the challenges. And as for food sections, I want recipes that have been tried and are successful to be separate from recipes that are just shared. The FV cookbook was created as a place you can use recipes that you can rely on and aren't taking a risk. They're successful.

At any rate, I will condense more as I often do. Many times, I feature subforums as main forums, too. I take forums away and bring them back all the time.

Using the tabs helps break down the sections. it's not a navigational (it's organizational) tab system, but it certainly makes sections more manageable to find and read.

Again, please provide feedback via pm or e-mail..