Very old posts showing up as new?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Very old posts showing up as new?

I generally read the forums using View-New Posts. So far today I've run into four or five threads that are very old, yet showing up as new.

For example in Question and Answer, thread 'What do you cook for snacks' the last post was made on 04-05-2008 by shortstack but in View-New posts it shows the last post was made today by shortstack.

I'm not complaining since most most of these posts are new to me anyway, but I thought Gabe might want to check it out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Each month, a handful are bumped up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Is there a way to seperate achives so they can be veiwed but not be part of currents posts. It seems silly that I comment on a discussion that is from March. KWIM. If this is just my opinion disreguard. Maybe a poll about it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior View Post
    Is there a way to seperate achives so they can be veiwed but not be part of currents posts. It seems silly that I comment on a discussion that is from March. KWIM. If this is just my opinion disreguard. Maybe a poll about it?
    You don't have to comment on old post at all, as the date is shown. This drives me crazy as well, but newbies are usually the ones that bump them. I think it's cool if they use the word bump though and then share. But they usually don't.

One thing I learned from message boards is that some get "yelled at" for starting a new thread that has been a subject a million of times, some get yelled at for bumping a 1960's post as well. I think some should go into achives, but I think many posters that are regulars here should also see the date and if they feel like posting, make sure it is relevent.

There was a post in the general chat the other day that I laughed at, because this new poster bumped it like it was from yesterday giving advice...that drives me crazy!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I get irritated (mostly w/ myself) because i'm reading it,forming opinions, then it starts to ring a bell,then I see my comment from 6 months ago-Then I notice the date. Or that it's 6 months old and a comment would be dumb-KWIM?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't mind when new threads on old topics get started - it means the topic is new to the thread starter.

I don't mind when old topics get bumped either.

The only time I really mind at all is when an old topic that was situation specific for a limited time gets bumped - like someone has a 2 year old rant about their 3 year old's behavior and someone chimes in 2 years later with advice ... cause then others see the reply and think it's current stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I bump up discussions specifically to revisit a topic. If someone feels silly replying, don't reply. But that is why they are bumped. Not everyone goes into the 9 yr archive and when it's a new season or the forum is slow, I bump them up.

I can totally understand if you see a topic, go to reply and then see doh you already did. But many times, circumstances change. I find myself replying to posts differently than I did the first time. Plenty has changed in the past few yrs in my life and the economy and how I approach frugality.

Edited to add, yeah a current events topic that is date specific would be dumb to be bumped up. I'm with Greebo on that.