Anyone make Body Scrubs? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've made a cheapie version of the scrubs. Last winter I used it on my daughter who has eczema and sensitive skin and it worked like a charm.
    I used baby oil and epsom salts. I ran the epsom salts through my food processor to make it fine, put it in a jar and filled the jar up to the top with baby oil. It had the baby oil smell which was fine with me. I figured the cost of the big jar I made was about .50 because I got both of my ingredients at the Dollar Store

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shortstack View Post
    I've made a cheapie version of the scrubs. Last winter I used it on my daughter who has eczema and sensitive skin and it worked like a charm.
    I used baby oil and epsom salts. I ran the epsom salts through my food processor to make it fine, put it in a jar and filled the jar up to the top with baby oil. It had the baby oil smell which was fine with me. I figured the cost of the big jar I made was about .50 because I got both of my ingredients at the Dollar Store
    This is really good to know! I also have exzema and sensitive skin, and am always looking for things that aren't irritating to my skin. I'm not sure about the baby oil fragrance, but I think maybe I could substitute mineral oil. Thanks very much for this idea!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeow.....seeing this post reminded me that I said I would post the bath 'bombs'/fizzie recipe...........late tonight but will get the book out and put it up tomorrow.

LB......be careful using mineral oil..........can you substitue an almond oil.......or jojoba? Mineral oil plugs the pores. Yes, I know GOBS of lotions/creams have it in them - cause it is CHEAP............but it is not the greatest for the skin. Even glycerin is better than mineral oil......which is what baby oil is anyway.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OH!! Thank you so much for these recipes. I am going to make some and give some!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

frugalfranny.......what else do you have to share???? You are full of information!! thank you in advance!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am hooked already and I just read this!! I can't wait!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sinopa27 View Post
    frugalfranny.......what else do you have to share???? You are full of information!! thank you in advance!!
    What do you want? I have three books and have gone to one class.......and saved the recipes. I love experimenting with this stuff. Though have 'slacked off' in the last year....for various reasons. I make a hand cream but don't really have a recipe.......just toss stuff together in a base lotion.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Bath Fizzy Recipe (bath bombs)

Promised to post this awhile back......then spaced it out....sorry.

Bath Salts - (or bath bombs - or bath blitz)

1 cup baking soda
    1/2 cup cornstarch
    1/2 cup citric acid (can find this at any wine/beer making store and it is DIRT CHEAP)

Fragrance oil of choice
    Food coloring - optional (at the dollar store, usually)
    Spray water bottle - fine spray works best

Molds - anything will work - even muffin tins, but could be harder to remove them. Something with a 'little give' will make it easier to get them out. If you have no molds just roll them into small balls - about the size of a large marble or less than golf ball size.

Place all dry ingredients in large bowl and mix well.

Scoop out about 1/2 cup and place in smaller bowl. (only work with SMALL amts. at a time - you will see why)
    Add two to three drops of fragrance and mix. Add food coloring - by the drops- if using, and mix well. When scent and color is satisfactory, add this back to big bowl and mix.

Scoop out about 1/3 cup of the blended salts and with a spray LIGHTLY mist while mixing with your hand. GO EASY ON THE WATER! These need to be damp enough to hold together - but if you over mist they will fizz!!

This should be enough for one shape......either put it into mold (press down hard to pack the salts in) to 'form', or roll into ball and let dry on wax paper. (the first time doing it it will be much easier to just roll in a ball)

If your salts seem to 'puff' or 'grow' you have added too much water. If really bad - place them back in bowl, mix up and try again.

To remove from mold - place a piece of cardboard over the mold and flip over. GENTLY press to remove the formed salts. It should have 'started to dry' but doesn't have to be totally dry at this point. When removed from mold - slide onto wax paper to dry overnight. If ball shape was used it should probably sit for a day or so to make sure the center is dry - depending on size.

These are super fun to make and people that 'bathe' absolutely love them!! And - as you can see - SUPER CHEAP to make!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for post the recipes. I have to order a few things this month so I will buy the citric acid and make these.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ohwhataday03 View Post
    Thank you for post the recipes. I have to order a few things this month so I will buy the citric acid and make these.
    Be sure to let us know how they turn out.....and pics would be nice too. Let me know how many fizz up on you.......they make me giggle when I make them when they start to do that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have terribly dry skin... always have... even as a teen. It's especially bad in the winter due to cold weather and central heat. Here are my recipes:

For body and foot scrub, I mix table salt and shampoo (or even conditioner) to form a paste and slather on dry body parts... feet, heels, ankles, elbows, knees, etc. Rinse. (I do this before my shower, sitting on the edge of the bathtub). You can use any brand, the flowery or fruity kind, the cheap dollar store stuff, or a kind that you've bought or were given and don't like for your hair. Sure beats throwing the stuff you don't like out.

For face scrub, I mix white sugar and shampoo (salt is too harsh on facial skin). Don't use this as aggressively as you would the body scrub due to the delicate facial skin... be easy on your skin. Rinse with warm water.

For face mask, I pulverize oatmeal in blender till fine (only takes a second and I do about a cup and store it in an airtight container for future use) and mix it with yogurt (you're supposed to use plain, but the vanilla smells yummy enough to eat) to form a thick paste-like glob. Slather on face (can add a bit of water or more yogure to thin if needed), avoid the eyes, and let sit on face for 10 minutes (or maybe up to 15 minutes). Grab a cup of herb tea or hot cocoa and enjoy a few minutes to yourself while you wait. Wash off with face cloth and warm water. NOTE: Now a friend said to add an egg white to the mixture. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking I might next time.

For dry skin lotion, I make a cream of vitamin e cream (8 oz jar), petroleum jelly (13 oz jar) and cheap-o lotion of choice (30 oz bottle). I like cocoa butter because it smells good but any will do. Mix with electric mixer in bowl till creamy (this will make a mess of the beaters and bowl but it's worth it and it makes a huge batch). Put in sealed jars (I reused the vit e cream jar for everyday use and used an clean/dry glass jar for long-term storage and refilled the cream jar as needed). This makes an excellent nite cream!! Slather it on cleaned and dried feet and put on socks for an overnite foot treatment.

I like to use plain vitamin e cream or cocoa butter lotion for daytime use on both my face and body.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also have very dry skin in the winter. I use grapeseed oil on my face as soap, and just wipe it off with a warm washcloth. Everytime I use lotions on my face I break out, so not more lotions for there. I love using a cocoa butter soap in the shower. My skin feels great after using it.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

great ideas for last minute gifts

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't tried making these, nor have I done business with this company, but they have a couple of bath salt recipes. Of course, they sell the stuff to make the bath salts.

Because I am a newbie here, I don't think I can post a link, but I'll try.

saltworks.us/salt_info/si_MakingBathSalts.asp]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123