Is soap making frugal?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Is soap making frugal?

I have wanted to make soap for years. Things are a bit tight right now as hubby will be taking a forced pay-cut at work of about $800 a month!!! Soooo, I need to get more frugal than I already am. Would soap making help, or no?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made soap once. For me it wasn't frugal because of the cost of the oil.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

From scratch or body wash? I am buying the bars, grating them, and then adding lotion to them for a moisturizing bodywash...it is saving us about $8 a month and we have enough bars to make a years worth of bodywash.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My sister used to make soaps and lotions and such. But she had a small business thing going and she sold pretty well. Based on what she spent making to sell I'd have to say no but she had some fancy stuff.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just calculated this out last week. By my calculations, it was not. I was even trying to cheapen it by using shortening and canola

Amazon jergens soap $ 7.67 24/3.5oz bars =84oz of soap 7.67/84=$.09 oz and delivered to my doorstep

Home Made using the "cheap" recipe from Blue Aspen Originals
    12oz canola. 18 oz veg shortening, 6oz coconut oil, lye & water 34oz of soap Ingredient costs 7.50/34=.22 oz

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is what I was wondering. So I guess for now, I will hold off on this project since it wont be helping saving money right now, and will try it later when things are not so tight. Then, if I enjoy it, maybe I will sell some or use as gifts. Right now saving is more important that adding to my hobby time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make soap from saved waste fats, leftover bacon grease, leftover beef and chicken grease from bone broth, and leftover pork fat from hams and such. It is cheaper than buying vegetable oils. But, you also are never for sure how well your bar of soap will lather or anything.

Straight cow fat does make a nice bar of soap though. You can purchase just fat at some store's meat department or from a butcher's shop. I ask for some of the fat when we order our beef.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've made soap before & you can save your fat cut from roasts etc in the freezer until you have enough to make a batch of soap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a dairy goat, so I make my soap with goat milk and plain old lard. I grate some of the soap and mix with hot water to make a shampoo gel. This is frugal for us, since the perfumes and stuff in most shampoos causes us to have sinus headaches. An added plus is that this soap and a vinegar rinse works better on my dry curly gray hair than any of the specialty shampoos

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For me it is. Firstly, I make it out of things I generally keep on hand. Secondly, my homemade soap may cost more than the cheapest bar soap but because it's a higher quality product, it replaces other things that I no longer need buy at all. Homemade soap has replaced shampoo for all three of us and both my daughter and I use it in place of expensive face cleanser. It replaces shave foam and we use the scraps to shred as a base for homemade laundry detergent.

In the long run, because it keeps me from buying many other products, my higher by-the-bar cost soap is more frugal. Additionally, it's a healthier product. I've had my fill of sls in my shampoo, body wash and shave gel.

Perhaps if making soap is a bigger jump than you want to take, why not start with homemade laundry detergent?

Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

looking for sales imho is better. along w/ coupons, sales and ECB you can get plenty and have a huge stockpile from my experience. good luck to you