Soap Making

Thread: Soap Making

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Soap Making

Does anyone here make their own soap? I am very interested in learning how to do this. I am also wondering would it be cheaper than buying dial at Wal Mart.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know we have soap makers here, I've seen threads. I'm not one, but I have a friend who does. HM soap is lovely stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do make soap but use the glycerin melt and pour variety as opposed to the lye method. We primarily give it as gifts. I do add colors, scents, herb, etc. I've never really compared it cost wise because I prefer body wash over soap for my own use. Glycerin soap is wonderful for the skin and you can make it to suit your preferences. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make soap. Actually, I've had a business doing it for the last 7 years.
    I make CP as well as M&P and a bunch of other stuff. I'm not sure if making soap on a small scale is cheaper than buying "detergent bars" ....... especially when they go on sale.
    Depends if you're talking M&P or CP. If it's CP, depends on the oils you use. Also, fragrance is one of the costliest of ingredients.

Hope I've helped a bit

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Does anyone have a link for directions on making your own soap?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also have made soap. I did the lye method and made a batch of Goat's Milk soap over a year ago and still have mounds of it left. Funny thing is, the longer it sits (cures) the more it lathers. It has been wonderful for my skin. I also don't remember exactly but I am pretty sure when dh and I calculated it up, each bar of soap cost around .15 cents to make. Way cheaper than buying it.

I got the recipe I used off of the web. I saved it somewhere, just don't know where at the moment. I will search around and see if I can find it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

if you decide to do the lye soap, you may have to order the lye online. old recipes will tell you to use red devil lye, but at least around here, the red devil lye the hardware stores carry isn't plain lye. it has an additive in it so it can't be made to make meth and thus can't be used to make soap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by Pepper
    I also have made soap. I did the lye method and made a batch of Goat's Milk soap over a year ago and still have mounds of it left. Funny thing is, the longer it sits (cures) the more it lathers. It has been wonderful for my skin. I also don't remember exactly but I am pretty sure when dh and I calculated it up, each bar of soap cost around .15 cents to make. Way cheaper than buying it.

I got the recipe I used off of the web. I saved it somewhere, just don't know where at the moment. I will search around and see if I can find it!
    Wow Pepper............ 15¢ a bar? Did you add scent to it or was it just plain??

I definatley can't make it for that low, but the I do like my bars scented. Unfortunatley the fragrance is really the most expensive ingredient in handmade soap

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When you first make soap, make a batch of unscented, just so you can appreciate true, unadulterated soap for the wonder that it is...................

Then make a scented batch.

You will NEVER, EVER, want that icky, stinky, chemical-perfumed store garbage to touch your skin again. Trust me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by ConnieD
    Wow Pepper............ 15¢ a bar? Did you add scent to it or was it just plain??

I definatley can't make it for that low, but the I do like my bars scented. Unfortunatley the fragrance is really the most expensive ingredient in handmade soap

Connie, no I didn't use any scent. I still haven't been able to find the recipe but I know it was only a few ingredients. Lye,  Lard and Goats Milk I believe. I'm gonna go look again for that recipe now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought goat's milk melt and pour soap from ebay and made a batch of bars on Sunday. I used a natural orange/vanilla fragrance. Smells like a creamsicle! The soap lathers very well, and makes your skin feel so soft.

I also used up the rest of my oatmeal melt and pour blocks and scented that with oatmeal, milk and honey fragrance oil.

Oh, and I made up a batch of lavender bath salts and some bath fizzies. The humidity was low was I started, but a front moved in, and the last batch of fizzies crumbled. I put those in a baggie, and will use them first.

I have been wanting to get back into soapmaking for so long, and it felt so good to see my finished products all stacked up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been making soap for years and selling at craft shows and online. I use the CP method and use natural ingredients like oatmeal, goats milk, aloe vera, etc.
    I have some customers that only use my soap, the whole family. It's so gentle that even babies use it. Your skin will appreciate this type of soap.
    These bars are great stocking stuffers, gift of any occasion.

Pam